Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: I favor Lane Sharing in Colorado

Re: I favor Lane Sharing in Colorado

Have you noticed that 90% of morons, I mean drivers here are ON THEIR CELLPHONE CONSTANTLY? It's scary, they're seriously carrying on ENTIRE CONVERSTATIONS while driving, highway OR city. Eff white-lining, no thanks!

Use a headset or speakerphone at least idiots, PLEASE!
    '08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.

Quote Originally Posted by Sully View Post
    I totally agree with you, Terry!
    I agree as well, but most cops don't--I got a warning and almost a ticket for doing it on the I-70 East out of the mountains when it all cluster-fucks to a halt.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post
    Colorado drivers are too stupid to handle lane-sharing, they'd kill a motorcyclist everyday I'm sure. I'm afraid to test the waters. They're all idiots out there.
    I concur. Plus a lot of people have the "you shall not pass" complex. Last time I tried skirting traffic on the shoulder I had someone swing a car door open trying to hit me and others pulling on to the shoulder to try to stop me from getting by. Even if it were legalized I probably wouldn't do it most of the time.
    I've got more flavor than a packet of macaroni.

Quote Originally Posted by Jmetz View Post
    I concur. Plus a lot of people have the "you shall not pass" complex. Last time I tried skirting traffic on the shoulder I had someone swing a car door open trying to hit me and others pulling on to the shoulder to try to stop me from getting by. Even if it were legalized I probably wouldn't do it most of the time.
    Totally, even in my truck, people have that attitude 50% of the time. The other 50% (us NICE courtous non-retard drivers) let you merge. But the moron 50% all speed up, even if there is room in front for you to get in.

Now imagine that douchebag 50% seeing some (already-hated) crotch rocket about to pass them 3" from their drivers door? They'll probably open their door or try to shoot you, who knows.
    '08 Yamaha R1 (black), mostly stock. Past bikes: '98 VFR-800 (red), '01 CBR-929RR (white/red), '05 Yamaha R6 (white), '08 Yamaha R1 (blue).
    '94 Supra Turbo 6spd. (black), BUILT motor/head, CompTurbo CT43-xx, '69 Dodge Coronet SuperBee tribute, 440/520 SixPack stroker, auto.

Quote Originally Posted by CaneZach View Post
    I didn't wade through the last five pages, but here's my primary reason to object to lane-sharing:

THE AVERAGE COLORADO DRIVER IS A COMPLETE MORON!
    I didn't wade through it either.

That being said, your above state reason sounds to me like a good reason for YOU to not do it. Doesn't sound like a good reason for you to favor restricting other adults ability to do it.

If lane sharing were legal, some people would, and some wouldn't. Why shouldn't we have the choice? Isn't this essentially the same argument that is made every time the topic of mandatory helmet use comes up? Right now it's legal to ride w/o a helmet. I never do, but the freedom to make the choice about taking on the additional risk of riding w/o a helmet is a great thing. Why shouldn't I have the ability to make that same choice about taking on the additional risk of lane sharing?
    The GECCO

You begin your riding career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by The GECCO View Post

That being said, your above state reason sounds to me like a good reason for YOU to not do it. Doesn't sound like a good reason for you to favor restricting other adults ability to do it.

If lane sharing were legal, some people would, and some wouldn't. Why shouldn't we have the choice? Isn't this essentially the same argument that is made every time the topic of mandatory helmet use comes up? Right now it's legal to ride w/o a helmet. I never do, but the freedom to make the choice about taking on the additional risk of riding w/o a helmet is a great thing. Why shouldn't I have the ability to make that same choice about taking on the additional risk of lane sharing?
    I'd do it on certain occasions--mainly when traffic is gridlocked and I could slip through.

But, I wouldn't do it when other vehicles were moving since, as CZ points out, most drivers in CO are completely useless and will kill you now, let alone when you're passing them in their blindspots.

Still, I think it should be legal since I dislike prohibitions for no good reason.

However, I doubt it'll ever matter since no one will push this through, nor fund any bill for it, etc.

We may as well be arguing over whether there ought to be Tiered Licenses and Autobahn lanes on highways--all great ideas that will never matter or come to reality.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Local jerk Yearly Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    I'd do it on certain occasions--mainly when traffic is gridlocked and I could slip through.

But, I wouldn't do it when other vehicles were moving since, as CZ points out, most drivers in CO are completely useless and will kill you now, let alone when you're passing them in their blindspots.

Still, I think it should be legal since I dislike prohibitions for no good reason.

However, I doubt it'll ever matter since no one will push this through, nor fund any bill for it, etc.

We may as well be arguing over whether there ought to be Tiered Licenses and Autobahn lanes on highways--all great ideas that will never matter or come to reality.

Hey kind of like you getting to taste some grim cookies .

Quote Originally Posted by grim View Post
    Hey kind of like you getting to taste some grim cookies .
    Apparently I just have to go buy a pack at Safeway, so they somehow seem far less special now...

Of course, I guess those aren't "Grim Cookies" since you didn't heat them up in the oven for me.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Apparently I just have to go buy a pack at Safeway, so they somehow seem far less special now...

Of course, I guess those aren't "Grim Cookies" since you didn't heat them up in the oven for me.
    Every batch baked with hate.

Gold Member Yearly Supporter Sully's Avatar

Yeah, please tell me what the F*ck their problem is? I had a major dbag on C470 in front of me (in the left lane) as I was coming home from bike night (in the car, lol) and he was going along at a decent pace (@5mph over the limit) but slowed down about 5mph.. so I look to see if there is a reason and no one is in front of him.. so I flash my lights and the Ftard touches his brakes and slows down even more.. wtf?! I get over to the right lane to pass him and he speeds up and paces the car in front of me.. ARE YOU SERIOUS?? Ok Major DBag.. the car in front of me now actually was in the left lane and moved over for this dirtbag to pass.. why couldn't he do the same for me? It finally opens up to 3 lanes (at Quebec) and I have enough room to get over to the far right and get back over 2 lanes to the far left.. DBAG tries to cut me off but his Hyundai Santa Fe didn't have enough so I get in front of him and he flashes his lights at me.. WTF, do you own the road and are you the speed limit Nazi a**hole? No one can go faster than you? F*off! GAWD I hate the way people drive sometimes! The signs say "keep right unless passing" err something like that..

/rant.. lol

I agree, I would like the choice to do this, although I am more inclined to surf the shoulder rather than roll between idiots who aren't paying attention..
    Glitter Factory Racing
    MRA #415

Sol Performance - Pirelli Tires

Yeah, please tell me what the F*ck their problem is? I had a major dbag on C470 in front of me (in the left lane) as I was coming home from bike night (in the car, lol) and he was going along at a decent pace (@5mph over the limit) but slowed down about 5mph.. so I look to see if there is a reason and no one is in front of him.. so I flash my lights and the Ftard touches his brakes and slows down even more.. wtf?! I get over to the right lane to pass him and he speeds up and paces the car in front of me.. ARE YOU SERIOUS?? Ok Major DBag.. the car in front of me now actually was in the left lane and moved over for this dirtbag to pass.. why couldn't he do the same for me? It finally opens up to 3 lanes (at Quebec) and I have enough room to get over to the far right and get back over 2 lanes to the far left.. DBAG tries to cut me off but his Hyundai Santa Fe didn't have enough so I get in front of him and he flashes his lights at me.. WTF, do you own the road and are you the speed limit Nazi a**hole? No one can go faster than you? F*off! GAWD I hate the way people drive sometimes! The signs say "keep right unless passing" err something like that..

/rant.. lol
    I don't drive slow so I run into that all the time. I learned a long time ago that flashing your lights only gets that response. Apparently it's an ego destroyer to take a half second to move over and another half second to move back after being passed.

I would say that about 8 times out of 10, people will move over on their own, because they're polite and understand the rules of the road.. but the other 2 jackoffs wanna park their sh*t in front of me or flip me off as I pass them... wtf?!? SERIOUSLY move your slow ass horse wagon over jack*ss.. :eyeroll: I don't flash my lights at people that often.. if I am behind them and they don't get it that they should move over, if I can pass them on the right, I will... (yes, it's illegal, I know.. but so is speeding ) MOOOOVE.. GET OUT DA WAY..
    Glitter Factory Racing
    MRA #415

Red face Re: I favor Lane Sharing in Colorado

I would say that about 8 times out of 10, people will move over on their own, because they're polite and understand the rules of the road..
    Agreed. But I guess the numbers depends on how aggressive of a driver you are from the start.

To the other Two

I am also not saying I would "Share Lanes" all the time, but in those moments; It would be nice for there to be an option to get then F*** outta the way. But hey, until that day arrives, I'll keep doing what i'm doing
    Last edited by DemonRider; Thu May 24th, 2012 at 01:32 PM.
    €~~~ Ramon Uribe ~~~€. 2011 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R (Current 2019)

-"CSC Community" Trailer - Is Available As Of (Stolen!!!!!!!) FML - @ My Home
    720-475-6984

IME it's the other way around. 9 out of 10 won't get the eff out of the way.

Yep. If there's a courteous driver out there, they must be a rare breed.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

I'm pro choice, if people feel its unsafe, then they shouldn't do it. I know tons of people who think riding a bike in gen is unsafe, and wish i wouldn't do it, but it is my choice.

personally i wouldn't lane split at freeway speeds. but in a traffic jam where all the cars are standing still, i would move forward at 5 mph.
    on the other hand if there was 3 cars all side by side doing 55 in a 65 and no one in front of them at all because people need to be in packs, i might if i felt it was safe.

but is just posting about it really going to do much or is there a website that we can sign up for and give our support.

It isn't our choice to sit in traffic jams if 4 cages who are busy sexting decide to have an orgy with their cars on the freeway.

It is already illegal to drive in the fast lane and not be passing someone. yet people dart straight for the fast lane and never get out until 2 seconds before their turn cutting across 3 lanes.

" For example, Colorado's "Left Lane Law" states: A person shall not drive a motor vehicle in the passing lane of a highway if the speed-limit is sixty-five miles per hour or more unless such person is passing other motor-vehicles that are in a non-passing lane" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passing_lane

The main problem is that they are building 3 lane HW's when they should be building 6 lanes. and make the left lane an HOV/bike lane like alot of other states.

they have spent a lot of money marking off bicycle lanes when they could just use the sidewalks. why not motorcycles. i would gladly take the sidewalk over sitting in traffic listening to my fan kick on.
    "On my steel horse I ride"
    2013 CBR1000RR, 20769 Miles

Maybe it's just because my car looks mean? ... Most of those people move out of the way when I'm on the bike too... Altho, I do admit, I am a pretty aggressive driver and rider
    Glitter Factory Racing
    MRA #415

Maybe it's just because my car looks mean...
    What kinda car?

.. bmw... ok, maybe it's just my ugly face lookin' mean..
    Glitter Factory Racing
    MRA #415

.. bmw... ok, maybe it's just my ugly face lookin' mean..
    Id high five you if i saw you in your beemer on I-25.

Glitter Factory Racing
    MRA #415

Being from CA I am all for lane splitting. When I was there, right on the inside cover of the Motorcycle handbook, it stated that it was not illegal but not recommended.

I would find myself following 2 wheel'd CHP or vice versa splitting lanes. Best part was not having to wait 2-3 red lights to get through an intersection. There is also a good time and bad time to split lanes.

Gets very risky if traffic is staggered, however when side by side, that is about the safest time to pass.

If it was allowed here in Colorado, I would do it, but would always be carefull doing so. CA, it was much more expected and accepted, I think things would get worse here before it got better.

The Gecco has it right. It's the "freedom" to lane share when I want to. If I'm riding a bike, I've already assumed the responsibility for keeping myself safe from morons. And hey, I might die. So what? You wanna live forever?
    08 GSXR 750 - New Hotness. Jardine GP1 pipe. Steel brake lines.
    R1 (My California coast bike), 00 GSXR 600 - Crashed on track, 99 GSXR 600 - Parts bike
    Track days: 4
    INFOWARS.COM

Wikipedia has a pretty good write-up covering both sides of the lane splitting debate: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lane_splitting

How would you like to get roundhouse kicked with a motorcycle?