Thread: Moto Guzzi?

Moto Guzzi?

Anyone have one? The Griso models are really starting to look appealing and may have to be my next bike. Would only be a commuter/street bike, something I could take the wifey out on a short ride from time to time. Was just curious of all your opinions.
    2006 Triumph Daytona 675-Track Only For Me!

Re: Moto Guzzi?

You can go here and get all the info on guzzi's. Not many people on this forum know much about them

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/f...splay.php?f=55
    "Every Crotch is a Rocket" HDAVE

'09 Suzuki SV650
    '07 Honda CBR 600RR
    '14 1875 watt Conair

MRA#522

Erico carries them. I took a Norge out for a demo ride a while back and quickly realized they are not my style.

Guzzi's are a lifestyle bike. There's a reason they're referred to as the Italian Harley. Not the most current technology, not the best handling, but they look nice and Guzzi lovers will defend them till their last breath.
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

I dont think Ive seen one outside of a dealership. Im not looking for the latest tech or best handling. I dont try to haul ass on the street anymore anyway, save that for the track.
    2006 Triumph Daytona 675-Track Only For Me!

I almost bought a Griso two years ago. One had been traded to Foothills BMW and I was thrown the keys for a long ride. For a head turning, stylish bike, rarely seen, with one of the finest exhaust notes around, the Griso could be what you are looking for... expecially as a commuter/streetbike with the occasional passenger. It has plenty of power for the street. Be sure to sit on one. The pegs are very high, the legroom tight. Many scratch their noggin wondering why MG has the Griso pegs so high.

Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post

Guzzi's are a lifestyle bike. There's a reason they're referred to as the Italian Harley. Not the most current technology, not the best handling, but they look nice and Guzzi lovers will defend them till their last breath.
    Salsa nails it with arguably the best description I've ever read about the Guzzi.

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    Erico carries them. I took a Norge out for a demo ride a while back and quickly realized they are not my style.

Yeah, but do they come with a leather-clad bad attitude, and do they leak oil?

My friend had a mid-'90's V11 Sport that was nice and sounded GREAT with the pipes, and he loved riding it, but it did have some little reliability problems. But, it WAS oil-tight.
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

I really want a V7 Cafe! The Guzzi is the perfect machine! Didn't you know? :P

http://www.amazon.com/Perfect-Vehicl.../dp/0393318095

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moto_Guzzi_V8
    Respect and truth trump all!
    I don't get lost. I explore.

Quote Originally Posted by CaneZach View Post
    Salsa nails it with arguably the best description I've ever read about the Guzzi.
    I can't take credit for the comparison. This is what one of the sales guys told me at Erico after I got back from my demo ride.

It does hit the nail on the head though.

Quote Originally Posted by CYCLE_MONKEY View Post
    Yeah, but do they come with a leather-clad bad attitude, and do they leak oil?
    no, they come with unapologetic hipster eurotrash attitude... not much better.

Quote Originally Posted by CYCLE_MONKEY View Post
    My friend had a mid-'90's V11 Sport that was nice and sounded GREAT with the pipes, and he loved riding it, but it did have some little reliability problems. But, it WAS oil-tight.
    No, they're not quite to the "Rooster" level of oiliness

The one thing that I couldn't get past were the rear view mirrors on the norge I demoed. They looked like they were pulled from a twenty year old parts bin and fit like it as well. As soon as I got on I-70, one of the mirrors shook loose and almost fell off the bike. I had to adjust it several times along the ride. It just stuck me as odd that such a unique bike could have such a POS mirror on it.

Also, the vibrations from the bike were every bit as bad as any HD I've ridden.
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!

I realize that this is an old dead thread but it is time to be resurrected.

I have picked up a 2012 Mg Stelvio for a big DS bike (emphasis on big) and just love it. great torque and lots of personality. No I don't have assless chaps. LOL:

I also got a 1972 Eldorado that I fixed up and have since sold. It was a blast to ride but it had no brakes. Yep good old 70's technology.

I have just ordered up a 2013 V7 Racer and look forward to taking it though its paces. Again not super powerful but hey I am slow anyway. I just could not pass up the looks of the bike and it has to run better than the 72 Eldo. Stock picture as it is still a few days out.

They may be a lifestyle bike but I don't consider them that way. I look at them as a bit of nostalgia, actually very modern design, and just plain fun to ride. Fun bikes from the second oldest continuous manufacture of motorcycles in the world.

As far as vibrations go, I have owned about 75 Harley's in my life and there is no comparison. The Guzzi's are butter smooth when ridden in the right RPM range and even smoother than many of the BMW's that I have had. AND they don't sound like a flock of pissed off bees.

Marc
    Last edited by Lomax; Sun Jul 28th, 2013 at 11:01 AM.
    84 R100RS LE, 14 Ducati MTSGT, 18 Desert Sled, 73 850 Commando, 78 CT90, 14 Ural, 74 Eldorado police, 64 R50/2, 01 DRZ400E, 94 900SS/CR, 77 HD XLCR, 2011 T100, 63 MG Falcone', 75 Ducati 860GT, 2015 Royal Enfield Classic Chrome, 2009 XR1200, 1944 Nimbus, 1989 GB500 https://lomaxcm.smugmug.com/

going back and rereading this gave me a chuckle. No, I didn't like the Norge, but I kinda dig that Stelvio... Funny how things change.

Nice ride(s)!

V7 Racer with the Record kit. Quite possibly my next bike. A beautiful machine.
    1990 ZX-10
    1995 PW-50
    2004 ZX-10R
    2008 Concours 14

That V7 looks nice!