Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Banning Motorcycles?

Re: Banning Motorcycles?

Quote Originally Posted by cptschlongenheimer View Post
    Ghost makes a good point too....

Maybe there's a middle ground here?
    I think that if you want better driver training, and more of a European style of licensing and driving in general, then you'd have to improve mass transit systems.

Basically, the two are linked, Japan and Germany can require tiered licensing and mandatory training because people can still get to work without a license and without needing a car (or bike).

We have nothing like that here...if you're going to ratchet up the requirements then you have to have an alternate solution...and we don't...

In the years since the 1950s/1960s we've done nothing but drive *more* miles every year. IIRC, it's roughly 5x the mileage it was when interstates first appeared. Part of it is urban sprawl, part of it that we're all commuting father to get to work than we used to, but either way, it'd be nigh impossible to reverse that trend without some *viable* alternative...

You could require more training, but at whose expense? The state doesn't have the money to offer it for free, and the economy is killing people with $4/gallon gas, there's not much room for $2,000 just to get your license so you can drive back and forth to your three part-time jobs...

Unfortunately, I think that without both halves (training + alternative transport) you're stuck with what we've got.

Even something like a mandatory "refresher" course/test every 3-5 years would be helpful, but it's another expense and would have to be paid for somehow out of someone's budget...unless you charged the license-holder, and then you're just piling on yet another fee--which wouldn't go over well...

Again, not being *negative* just trying to be realistic...and it seems we're stuck as we are until/unless someone wants to pump a lot of money into overhauling the way every American drives and looks at car ownership and daily transportation...which...won't....happen...
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

ANY changes made are sure to cost more...and weren't a whole bunch of people just recently complaining about paying registrations on their vehicles they felt were too high?

Senior Member cptschlongenheimer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    ...Again, not being *negative* just trying to be realistic...
    Someone told me once there is no thread for realism...
    89 EX500 RIP
    06 R6S RIP
    03 R6

Obviously we need mass transit in a bad way, it would solve many many issues. Though it won't happen.

Also I would have thought ridding a motorcycle was a lot more dangerous than 72/100,000. I really don't think that's very dangerous at all.

Quote Originally Posted by brennahm View Post
    ANY changes made are sure to cost more...and weren't a whole bunch of people just recently complaining about paying registrations on their vehicles they felt were too high?
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by cptschlongenheimer View Post
    Someone told me once there is no thread for realism...
    You're mixing your threads, THIS thread is all about soul-crushing realism.

Quote Originally Posted by laspariahs View Post
    Obviously we need mass transit in a bad way, it would solve many many issues. Though it won't happen.

Also I would have thought ridding a motorcycle was a lot more dangerous than 72/100,000. I really don't think that's very dangerous at all.
    Nope, not until gas hits $10/gallon, and by then the riots in the streets will make it all moot anyway.

It's not bad unless you're one of the 72...
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

I think the simplest way to start this whole thing would be to require "additional training" with EVERY traffic infraction. You get a ticket and BAM, mandatory re-education. Minimum 8 hour class that has to meet certain criteria and a skills test or something of the like. Obviously, make the driver pay for it if they want their driving priviledges reinstated. That way, everyone who NEEDS one can get one, but if you suck at driving you're going to get a lot more Driver's Ed that the rest of us.
    '12 BMW S 1000 RR
    '11 Suzuki V-Strom DL-650 *SOLD*
    '07 Aprilia RSV R Factory *SOLD*

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    but if you suck at driving you're going to get a lot more Driver's Ed that the rest of us.
    Yeah, but tickets don't necessarily imply you suck at driving, maybe at following posted speed limits, but that another matter entirely...
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Yeah, but tickets don't necessarily imply you suck at driving, maybe at following posted speed limits, but that another matter entirely...
    You're right, they don't "necessarily" imply you suck at driving, and sometimes good drivers get pulled over and ticketed as well, but I don't think anyone here will argue against the fact that people who suck at driving both stand out like sore thumbs and get pulled over more often, and this type of system will ensure that those people still get more training than the rest of us.
    Last edited by Sarge; Thu Jun 23rd, 2011 at 09:30 PM.
    '12 BMW S 1000 RR
    '11 Suzuki V-Strom DL-650 *SOLD*
    '07 Aprilia RSV R Factory *SOLD*

Dear Mr. Curran, what you've just written is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever read. At no point in your rambling, incoherent article were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

si hoc legere scis nimium eruditiones habes

I dont know about you but I have noticed lately that normally I see more on my bike than in my car. The things you miss just because your in a cage one day could be a motorcycle. This article pissed me off. I have had 2 cousins die in motorcycle crashes that were both caused by idiot drivers. and one that lost the use of his arm because a corvette decided he was bigger and didnt have to stay in his lane. However that did not detour me from riding nor will it ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach929rr View Post
    Yeah, sorry. I can't take a writer seriously when he stills uses his aol email address as his contact email.
    Funny thing is that was my first thought too.

Carl

Long Distance Gear Checklist 2002 Hayabusa - Now with 100,000+ miles!

Quote Originally Posted by Mother Goose View Post
    Beautiful....

askmrjesus at 1:03 PM June 22, 2011 Dear Mr. Curran,

If you are truly interested in public safety, one would think you would be more focused on the leading cause of death in this country: Obesity.

Now Hugh, I've seen your photo, and lets face it, you're a fatty pants. Your cholesterol level is much more likely to end up costing the public money, than all motorcyclists combined. We are, you see, a very small minority in the US, whereas as you, and your doughnut loving friends, are bankrupting the healthcare system, simply because you don't have the discipline to pass up a Baskin Robins every once in a while.

Of course, that also explains your problem with motorcycles. It's hard to stuff a Whopper into your saggy jowls, while riding one.

The solution seems clear: It's time to ban fat people. Specifically, fat people with online degrees in "journalism", who write articles that are meant to create controversy, rather than be of any informative value.

But wait, that would infringe on your right to stuff your face behind the wheel, while not paying attention to the road, and that, of course, is what America is all about; the freedom from personal responsibility.

I'll cut this short. It's close to lunch time, and I know the KFC down the street from your little cubby hole, has an all you can eat deal this week.

Bon Appetite.

JC
    AWESOME!!!! Thanks for doing that.
    "Insert clever/inspirational quote here."

I have a couple of bikes, they are fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    I think the simplest way to start this whole thing would be to require "additional training" with EVERY traffic infraction. You get a ticket and BAM, mandatory re-education. Minimum 8 hour class that has to meet certain criteria and a skills test or something of the like. Obviously, make the driver pay for it if they want their driving priviledges reinstated. That way, everyone who NEEDS one can get one, but if you suck at driving you're going to get a lot more Driver's Ed that the rest of us.
    Great idea...I like it! Typically I'm all about personal freedoms, but I do favor the idea of a tiered motorcyle licensing system that would limit the bikes a person can ride to their years of experience. It'd keep a 16yo kid from buying an R1 for his first bike. That was actually difficult for me to type as it borders on communism in my opion but I think it'd save lives.
    "Insert clever/inspirational quote here."

I have a couple of bikes, they are fun.

did anyone see the followup? I did email him because I was upset and earlier today I got this link.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/citylink...,2043379.story

Still it angers me someone that uses his freedom of speech, is trying to take away my freedom to get from one place to another the way I choose. What would be next? No more walking because someone knew someone that tripped and hit their head?

This guy is a near-retarded fat little bitch. Wouldn't be surprised if he's found face down in a river. Riding a motorcycle is in no-way a similar hazard (for the public) as smoking in a public building, how does one even come to that comparison? I'm guessing his "moving on to better things" (from being a columnist) means he's getting fired. Good riddance!
    George Mock | 2008 ZX6R | GoPro Hero | 3:551 5806

Heck, he's just doing his job. Bringing in ad revenue. It's how he gets paid. It seems he did that pretty well.

Carl

Long Distance Gear Checklist 2002 Hayabusa - Now with 100,000+ miles!

I have some very passionate comments for the idiot that wrote that article. One of those that tries to interfere with natural selection by forcing a ban on motorcycles or requiring helmets.

Lets ban anything that is economically sound or enjoyable because of the potential danger involved.

Leah
    05 Raven R1
    01 YZ250F

Quote Originally Posted by dm_gsxr View Post
    Heck, he's just doing his job. Bringing in ad revenue. It's how he gets paid. It seems he did that pretty well.

Carl
    It's different from writing a good article that many people enjoy to read, versus pissing a large group of people off out of ignorance. Sure he got a lot of hits, but that doesn't mean the advertisers are going to benefit from that. I didn't even pay attention to the ads because of the mindset I was in, and if I had I wouldn't view the ads positively due to my negative view on the article.

Same reason why Tiger Woods lost most of his sponsors. Companies don't want to be associated with a even if they're getting lots of attention.
    George Mock | 2008 ZX6R | GoPro Hero | 3:551 5806