Thread: Guanella Pass

Gold Member Yearly Supporter mtnairlover's Avatar

Guanella Pass

So, my boss and a colleague were talking last week about Guanella Pass and Mt. Bierstadt. I got curious and wanted to know the condition of the road, because I was considering exploring the high country by moto this weekend. I was told that the road changes to dirt in several places and is about 60% paved. That estimate was just about right. I still went all the way up and over starting on the Georgetown side...

Georgetown Loop RR...

One of the paved hairpins...

Did some rock climbing to get a better view of a cascade...

On top...

Coming down the other side...

A valley on the Grant side...right before the last stretch of dirt road...

...ready to take on the world...one canyon at a time...

Check out my WordPress blog -- Exploring Colorado’s 25 Scenic and Historic Byways: A two-year tour by sport bike, auto and 4×4 @ mtnairloversview

Like my Facebook page @ Colorado Scenic Byways Tours to learn more about the byways

Re: Guanella Pass

Looks like a gorgeous ride!

Yep! Slow, but absofreakinlutely beautiful ;-)

Check out my WordPress blog -- Exploring Colorado’s 25 Scenic and Historic Byways: A two-year tour by sport bike, auto and 4×4 @ mtnairloversview

Like my Facebook page @ Colorado Scenic Byways Tours to learn more about the byways

Damn I was contemplating taking that route today, but I was two up and wasn't sure how bad the unpaved sections would be. A guy on a dual sport came down the 285 side, looked at my R1 and girlfriend and said he probably wouldn't do it. Next time I'll have to throw caution to the wind and take it slow, looks like some good views.

I saw 4 dual sports and one Harley touring bike. That's it. If you take this road, you really need to do it without a passenger. You get better control of a sport bike on dirt when you can stand up on the pegs. That's typically how I handle my bike on dirt. I don't do it too often, but when I do, it's solo and standing on the pegs. A dual sport would be a whole lot better, though. One of these years I'll add to my stable.

And yes, it's gorgeous up there. The Mt. Bierstadt hike starts at the top of the pass, so there's typically a boatload of people up there. The parking areas were overflowing and cars were parked along the road for about a mile, too.

Even with the dirt roads. That looked like a well worth trip made. Great pictures. I have to start riding with you, I am bored with the same roads and routes.
    Imma girl....so what! What's your next question?

Nice!!! big for you.
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnairlover View Post
    I saw 4 dual sports and one Harley touring bike. That's it. If you take this road, you really need to do it without a passenger. You get better control of a sport bike on dirt when you can stand up on the pegs. That's typically how I handle my bike on dirt. I don't do it too often, but when I do, it's solo and standing on the pegs. A dual sport would be a whole lot better, though. One of these years I'll add to my stable.

And yes, it's gorgeous up there. The Mt. Bierstadt hike starts at the top of the pass, so there's typically a boatload of people up there. The parking areas were overflowing and cars were parked along the road for about a mile, too.
    Good advise, I'll test it out solo sometime, thanks.

I thought there was still a little snow on the top? Glad you didn't hit any. We were on some other passes this weekend and there was still a little snow @ 10k ft. Looks like a nice ride, Cathy!

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    I thought there was still a little snow on the top? Glad you didn't hit any. We were on some other passes this weekend and there was still a little snow @ 10k ft. Looks like a nice ride, Cathy!
    A few of us went camping up there a week ago. We rode CR 1038 as far as we could, which was about 75% of the trail, before being stopped by a wall of snow. Watched a guy on a crf bury his bike it it.
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd