Thread: AMA Pro Racing, where is the love?

AMA Pro Racing, where is the love?

Ok so I inadvertently almost hijacked my own thread discussing the MotoGP racers, so I am starting a new one.

Opinions on the quality of the AMA Pro Racing coverage seems to range from "it's ok" to "it used to be so much better". Anyone care to discuss some specific ideas as to what you think would make it better?

Let me clarify - tangible, constructive ideas. "Burn it to the ground" isn't tangible. What would get you to tune in, be interested in it, discuss it, and maybe GO to the races?

Could it be better? I am sure. To me it feels like it has improved and probably isn't anywhere close to where it was before. They have done some coverage from the pits with Hayes and others, talked about some of the stuff that they do to the bikes versus stock rides, they talk to the riders in the pits.

I appreciate they are covering it in a way that a street-only rider can learn a little and it offers insight into a sport that gets a fraction of Speed's obvious target audience (NASCAR). The races are usually on a time delay and Daytona was a mess this year, but I personally am not going to cite those are reasons not to watch. Name one show that never has a clunker of an episode?

fwiw, I know we have a couple of local riders racing in the AMA. I appreciate what they do and cheer them on even when I only see their names across the top ticker. Josh Galster, Dalton Dimick, and Ricky Orlando have been out there a few times, with Galster coming in just behind series-leader Eslick at Miller. Way to go guys!
    MRA #88
    Keeping it midpack since 2010!

Huge Member Site Admin Mother Goose's Avatar

Re: AMA Pro Racing, where is the love?

What frustrates me, is that they are airing them at 10pm on a Sunday night. I thought the races were run mid day? Does it really take them that long to produce it? I know Scott Russell talks a little slow, but come on now!
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

Quote Originally Posted by Mother Goose View Post
    What frustrates me, is that they are airing them at 10pm on a Sunday night. I thought the races were run mid day? Does it really take them that long to produce it? I know Scott Russell talks a little slow, but come on now!
    What... And interrupt Speeds Channels Fast Track to Fame? What kind of flag burning American are you?

MRA Racer No.427

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Daytona Sportbike is some of the best racing around these days.

Is it "dumbed down" - yes a bit, but even Jason DiSalvo says that the inclusion of the spec tire and the limited modifications have made the class more fun to run in than the former "formula extreme".

All racing is getting dumbed down these days. Moto GP has limited engines and a spec tire. Moto 2 bikes all use the same engine and tires. WSBK has a spec tire and if one configuration is running away they penalize it with weight or restrictor plates.

These are all functions of the economy. In the late 90's early 2000's there was plenty of sponsor dollars floating around to be able to afford all out racing both in the pits (technology) and on the track. If that continued today there would only be a few teams that could actually afford to compete.

Racing is racing, and almost all racing is a money sport. Limiting the ultimate capability of the bike (or tire) increases the number of people who CAN compete because it allows those with less $$ (or talent) to run near the front.

The support classes in the major series are really the best racing around - watch Daytona Sportbike, AMA Supersport, World Supersport or a Moto 2 race and see what I mean.

s

What frustrates me, is that they are airing them at 10pm on a Sunday night.
    That's valid. The next round, July 9/10, they will be airing some races Saturday night at 8:00 and 9:00 MDT. Starting at 2:30 they have a 2 hour "NASCAR Raceday" show on. It's apparently a live pre-race show similar to football pre-game shows. The actual NASCAR race they covering isn't on Speed - it's on TNT. So they are sitting around yapping about an event that is on another channel.

They also have 2 hours of Barett-Jackson 'coverage' that evening before they show the road racing.

Roughly an 8 hour delay. That's weak. I can't argue that showing the races at 8, 9, or 10 at night isn't helping them. It's hard to get together with your buddies to watch a race when it's on that late.
    MRA #88

Quote Originally Posted by rybo View Post
    The support classes in the major series are really the best racing around - watch Daytona Sportbike, AMA Supersport, World Supersport or a Moto 2 race and see what I mean.
    I love me some Moto2 action. 40 guys, similar bikes, it's all guts, talent, and there is an element of luck to get the glory. Reminds me of a certain 1/4 liter class the MRA started. Except our 250's aren't as much of a support series.

I am having more trouble getting into Supersport World Championship. It's not for a lack of want, it's the complete lack of American riders, the terrible quality of the coverage on Speed, and Jonathan Green's constant yelling. He redeemed himself in that "Building a Superbike" show shot with Boulder Motorsports, but Green REALLY needs to switch to decaff.

But I agree, Scott, watching these series is like college football vs NFL. It's not the premier class but it's a helluva lot of fun and it sure beats watching the Golf channel on a rainy afternoon!
    MRA #88

Agreed....really sick of the "nascar channel". I've said it before and I'll say it again...I was pissed when they stopped airing this year's Daytona 200 so they could show us nascar truck practice. WTF speed? you guys SUCK. We need another channel to show motorcycle road racing, are there that few people watching it?
    "Insert clever/inspirational quote here."

I have a couple of bikes, they are fun.

AMA sportbike is even better than Moto GP races. Im all for it.
    MRA #595
    01' YZF R6 RACE (Kinky Kylie)
    Facebook - Shawn Parrish