Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Thread: The Deckers Route~Experienced Riders Discussion

Re: The Deckers Route~Experienced Riders Discussion

09 Yamaha FZ6R
    08 Yamaha XT250

Quote Originally Posted by R1NORI View Post
    It is nice to have a "core" group to trust and ride with.
    I have had a great core group over the years.
    I think my core of riders have mostly quit riding, but I definitely agree with the sentiment.

A group of riders is either a "Group Ride" or mostly strangers, or simply a "ride" with friends--and I don't necessarily mean BFF, but someone who's at least a good, solid, reliable riding buddy that you can trust.

Developing and grooming a good, solid Core is definitely not easy, and too often it's overwhelmed by sheer numbers.

Edit:

Maybe we should start something similar to the Rider/Mentor thread, but as more of a Rider 4 Rider thing to pair up with like-minded and similar-paced and similar-schedule riders?
    Last edited by Ghost; Mon Jul 11th, 2011 at 04:09 PM.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Reviving this post. A lot of good info that can be applied where ever you ride, not just the road that's the subject of this thread.
    Motorcycle Roadracing Association #29
    President

MSF
    Rider Coach

Senior Member Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by UglyDogRacing View Post
    Reviving this post. A lot of good info that can be applied where ever you ride, not just the road that's the subject of this thread.
    I read this not too long ago and was impressed by the points brought up. I agree, it's an informative read that discusses a lot more than the Deckers Route. If you're new to riding, you should read it.

maybe I should post in canyon conditions. but heading south on a right hand turn (that's as specific as I can be) there was a patch of gravel the whole lane. I saw gravel ahead and slowed down but then that's when I saw there was no real way around it. Luckily nobody was coming so I just kept straight until through and went a little in the other lane. Would have been really hairy with traffic.
    that's f'd that people would put oil and gravel on corners, not sure if I can even believe it. i'm sure maybe somebody has done it, but I bet it's almost always natural

Present: 2006 GSXR 750 (black/yellow), 2006 Yamaha R6r (blue)
    Sold: 2011 Ninja 250 (green/black), 2007 R6s (blue)

This thread should be bumped every March/April! Great read.

My experience in all of the canyons has been this:

The days that I go ride them and I am not mentally focused, they are a bitch. Like anything there are good times and bad but when I ride the canyons and im not 100%. I struggle. To make it short - Dont go unless you are dialed riding wise. Stayed up to late last night? Hungover? Arguing with your wife? Just got fired? This is not the time to ride much less the canyons.

Second. You have heard it a million times on here but, RIDE YOUR RIDE!!!!!!!! Its not a race to the top. Especially if you are riding a new route. The more comfortable you get with a route the quicker you can go but no matter how many 1st timers go down there are still experienced rider that do too. I have been riding for almost half my life and I still dont like seeing sand patches when coming around a corner fast (pretty sure every motorcyclist feels the same!). Seriously, the only good thing about this type of situation is that you are within you ability and know what to do. If you are over your head to begin with, you are 100% ABSOLUTELY going to fail in the situation... Unless you get lucky as shit.

I believe I have become a better rider in general because of what I have learned in the canyons but the canyons aint a track. There are 50 foot cliffs to ride off of and rocks 2 feet away from you at times to smash into. Thats why there are thousands of track racers that will offer up lessons on how to ride the shit out of a track but 0 people that are willing to tell you how to make it to Deckers the quickest.
    Last edited by Ezzzzy1; Thu Jun 5th, 2014 at 11:14 PM.
    Mo-Door.com - Contact me for CSC pricing

Mo-Door on: Twitter Facebook