Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Helmet law irony.

Helmet law irony.

Is this guy dead because of the helmet law? :stir:

ONONDAGA, N.Y. -- Police say a motorcyclist participating in a protest ride against helmet laws in upstate New York died after he flipped over the bike's handlebars and hit his head on the pavement.

The accident happened Saturday afternoon in the town of Onondaga, in central New York near Syracuse.

State troopers tell The Post-Standard of Syracuse that 55-year-old Philip A. Contos of Parish, N.Y., was driving a 1983 Harley Davidson with a group of bikers who were protesting helmet laws by not wearing helmets.

Troopers say Contos hit his brakes and the motorcycle fishtailed. The bike spun out of control, and Contos toppled over the handlebars. He was pronounced dead at a hospital.

Troopers say Contos would have likely survived if he had been wearing a helmet.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_889427.html
    Last edited by Bueller; Mon Jul 4th, 2011 at 03:22 PM. Reason: More appropriate title

Re: Helmet law question

facepalm.jpg

HELMET LAWS DONE DID TREAD UPON MY RIGHTS AS AN AMERCAN

WHAT NEXT? THE GON STOP ME FROM FUCKIN MY SISTER TOO?!?!

KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

It's so funny that society thinks that sport bike riders are so unsafe when all these damn Harley/cruiser riders wear as little gear as possible. I hate to say it but that man deserved what he got.
    2005 CBR600RR-SOLD
    2009 CBR1000RR-NEW LOVE

I think freedom to do what one wants without harming anyone is a basic right. If that means carrying a card that says "If found in a motorcycle wreck without helmet, DNR, i have no insurance and dont want to burden taxpayers for my bad choice" vs being regulated to wear a helmet, then so be it.

99% of the time, i ride with a full face, but id like to know that in that 1% of times that i dont, im not going to be harassed over my personal choice.

06 DR650SE

Quote Originally Posted by konaman View Post
    I hate to say it but that man deserved what he got.
    That is a really ignorant statement.
    And sportbikers are unsafe, that's why our insurance is so high.

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

It's so funny that society thinks that sport bike riders are so unsafe when all these damn Harley/cruiser riders wear as little gear as possible. I hate to say it but that man deserved what he got.
    I don't think anyone ever DESERVES to die doing something like this. BUT, that said, I don't have any sympathy for him and his complete lack of motorcycling skills and gear.
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

Local jerk Yearly Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    That is a really ignorant statement.

Yea were nothing like cruisers we wear gear and do all kinds of stupid shit. kind of like how mens insurance is more expensive than womens becuase en are dangerous makes sense to me

Hopefully that is tongue-in-cheek... Sportbike insurance is 'so high' because faired motorcycles can receive expensive damage even in low speed events. Performance motorcycles are actually underrepresented in motorcycle crash statistics (at least they used to be).

4 RG500, 2 TZR250-2MA, NS250R, DT250, G4-TR100,
    rip RGV250, sold TZR250-3MA TS250 MR250 XL500

Quote Originally Posted by edj View Post
    Hopefully that is tongue-in-cheek... Sportbike insurance is 'so high' because faired motorcycles can receive expensive damage even in low speed events. Performance motorcycles are actually underrepresented in motorcycle crash statistics (at least they used to be).
    I've been in the forum for a month and already picked up the two types of posts bueller has....mean....sarcastic just and FYI

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Quote Originally Posted by grim View Post
    I've been in the forum for a month and already picked up the two types of posts bueller has....mean....sarcastic just and FYI
    Observant, you are.
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

Quote Originally Posted by grim View Post
    And informative if you are paying attention.

And informative if you are paying attention.
    that's part of your mean posts
    Last edited by grim; Sun Jul 3rd, 2011 at 08:51 PM.

I'm not entirely sure how to look at this particular situation. While I would never go out without mine, if someone else is educated and chooses to ride without a helmet, it tends to not affect anyone else. If you lose control in your car without your seat belt on, it can be made even worse by not being held in place at the controls. If you lose control on your bike without a helmet on, it's not really going to affect whether or not you crash, just the end result for the rider. If nothing else, it's natural selection at work.
    09 Blue Yamaha R6
    08 Blue Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Stand back! I'm going to try science!

Oh the irony..... I agree with colorado's laws on helmets which basically says if you are dumb enough not to wear one then you are dumb enough to die from a severe head injury. The majority of these guys that have been dying in motorcycle accidents around here have been 50+ year olds on harleys wearing no helmets... Nuff said...

Yeah well, all week and all weekend, unless I'm actively on a CSC ride, every sportbiker I see all over the metro by about a 20 to 1 ratio, is missing a helmet, jacket, gloves, boots, and jeans. Look around will ya?!? Most everyone on a sportbike is a squid. I'd say it's not much different from Harley riders except they don't ride as fast.

Troopers say Contos hit his brakes and the motorcycle fishtailed.

Don't forget, the front brake is dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptGoodvibes View Post
    Yeah well, all week and all weekend, unless I'm actively on a CSC ride, every sportbiker I see all over the metro by about a 20 to 1 ratio, is missing a helmet, jacket, gloves, boots, and jeans. Look around will ya?!? Most everyone on a sportbike is a squid. I'd say it's not much different from Harley riders except they don't ride as fast.
    I wonder if it is dependent on location and/or time of day? When I am out on the road I see around 80 - 90% wearing helmets, jackets are the weakest area at maybe 50% Full on shorts/sandals/shades riders are a very small minority, less than 5%

Meh!!!
    I wear mine because i made a promise to a few family members that i would do all i could to be safe after returning to Motorcycling after a 7 year hiatus.
    I was not a very good rider(self-taught) back then and had a few mishaps.
    Now i don't think i would BE CAUGHT DEAD not wearing ATTGATT.
    I'm not perfect.
    I wore regular jeans yesterday on my ride through the canyons,but hey at least i try!
    mayo....

Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
    Only I will remain."

.........a crotch rocket going 85 to 90 down the highway looking like a power ranger on a mission...

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Is this guy dead because of the helmet law? :stir:
    He's dead because he made a choice. I see no reason for the government to take that choice away.

Troopers say Contos would have likely survived if he had been wearing a helmet.
    And it's possible he'd have ended up in a vegetative state with a helmet. No one can know. Freedom has it's dangers. I'll take them over a nanny state. And yes, I always ride with a helmet.
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by dirkterrell View Post
    He's dead because he made a choice. I see no reason for the government to take that choice away.

And it's possible he'd have ended up in a vegetative state with a helmet. No one can know. Freedom has it's dangers. I'll take them over a nanny state. And yes, I always ride with a helmet.
    +10000

Your second point brings up something I have wondered about as a rebuttal to the 'social costs' arguments of the nanny staters. For all the unhelmeted riders who incur significant medical costs, how much of that would be cancelled out by helmeted riders who incur significant medical costs that had they not been wearing a helmet would be simply dead. I realize this would be a very hard study to do, there is the issue of was the death caused by head injuries plus you have to rule out people like you (or me) who are opposed to helmet laws yet still wear a helmet

Quote Originally Posted by longrider View Post
    I wonder if it is dependent on location and/or time of day? When I am out on the road I see around 80 - 90% wearing helmets, jackets are the weakest area at maybe 50% Full on shorts/sandals/shades riders are a very small minority, less than 5%
    Could be. I didn't much pay attention before I started commuting recently. Historically, I just looked at the bike But for the last couple months, I've been noticing the gear and well, it's shocking how often their isn't any. I don't mean during my commute so much as when I'm having a meal and look over at the light and see two bikes with t-shirted riders and caps on backwards or when I'm caging it to the market and the guy next to me at the light is wearing a helmet but nothing else that constitutes gear. And so on...

It's probably the heat... and youth. Hopefully it will pass and I'll begin to see more gear around town.

Quote Originally Posted by longrider View Post
    +10000

Your second point brings up something I have wondered about as a rebuttal to the 'social costs' arguments of the nanny staters. For all the unhelmeted riders who incur significant medical costs, how much of that would be cancelled out by helmeted riders who incur significant medical costs that had they not been wearing a helmet would be simply dead. I realize this would be a very hard study to do, there is the issue of was the death caused by head injuries plus you have to rule out people like you (or me) who are opposed to helmet laws yet still wear a helmet
    Actually, there was a study done about this topic, dunno if I can find it again. But, it was done as a rebuttal to the argument that instituting helmet laws would lower health care expenses. In a nutshell it said that when motorcyclists crash they end up in one of three general categories:

A - uninjured or with minor injuries (bumps, bruises, minor broken bones, etc)
    B- seriously injured (major broken bones, etc all the way to permanent brain injuries, paralysis, etc)
    C - Dead

Obviously, category B is where all the money is spent. Treating minor injuries is relatively inexpensive, as is burying people. The problem is that because a helmet only protects your head, any increase in helmet use (be it because of a law or whatever) results in more people moving from C to B, than from B to A. In other words, people who would have been massively injured but dead of head injuries were now surviving the crash because their heads were protected, but still coming away with significant other bodily injuries. The end result is more health care expense.

I'm not saying this as an argument for or against helmet laws, just pointing out that the "health care savings" argument is pure BS.
    The GECCO

You begin your riding career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

Holy shit this thread is dragging out!!!