Thread: Product review: Scala Rider (Bluetooth helmet setup)

Product review: Scala Rider (Bluetooth helmet setup)

If you're like me and enjoy music while you ride but don't like using head phones, this is a great solution.

The Scala Rider (by Cardo).

http://www.cardosystems.com/us/homepage

For the U.S. market there are three models. (Europe also gets the base model "solo" unit but with the Euro conversion and damn VAT tax its more expensive then the Q2)

Teamset Pro, Q2 and G4.

This is a system that fits in your helmet (and yes, full face helmets).
    The system uses a noise canceling boom mic, ultra thin head phones and a blue tooth unit that is detachable via quick release. The unit will sync up (via blue tooth) to your phone, GPS or MP3 player. It also has a wired cord for non-blue tooth MP3 players. All versions are water/dust proof.

All three models have the same basic features as mentioned above. The differences are in bike to bike communication, range and battery life and of course price.

Prices

Online a single unit Q2 runs around $150 and the dual-unit G4 set up runs about $350.

Locally they're $210 and $489 respectively. RMCP in Colorado Springs carries these at the retail price. Presumably your local motorcycle shop does too.

Differing model features

Teamset Pro = 2 units that allow for rider to passenger communication. No bike to bike communication. 7-8 hour battery life.

Q2 (Also comes as a multi set) = Comes as a single or dual unit. Allows all of the above plus plus bike to bike communication (2 bikes total) up to 700m. 7-8 hour battery life. ($250 for the Multi unit)

G4 (also comes as a multi set) = Single or dual unit. All of the above plus communication between a total of 3 bikes (plus passenger for a total of 4 people). Up to a 1 mile bike to bike range and a 13 hour battery life.

Important Note

If you want to use the rider to passenger communication, get a paired unit as you are limited to the number of bikes you can connect to (See above). The passenger unit in the multi-set ups piggybacks off the main unit. In other words it is NOT the same as two single units.

They all use noise canceling mics which (reportedly) work very well for cell phone and bike to bike communications. My only experience regarding the mic is using my phone's voice commands to control my music.

They will only pair up with other Scala Rider units.

My experience with the Q2

(Note: The speaker/mic set up is the same on all units)

Basic commands like "play artist Silversun Pickups" and "pause music" were understood at 80mph.

(Note: The voice commands are on the phone, not the scala but pressing the main button on the scala activates the iphone's voice command).

The headphones are pretty good. I was able to clearly listen to my music at all speeds all though they are lacking on bass but it's not totally absent like you might expect with such thin speakers.

I did get the full rated battery life (7-8 hours) out of my Q2.

Overall I'm very happy with my purchase, all though I'm probably going to trade my single unit Q2 for a multi unit since I often have Mrs. Clovis with me and I don't want to "waste" the bike to bike slot on her =P

For the music capabilities the system is worth it but the bike to bike communication is where it can really shine if you have a riding partner.

-Clovis

Re: Product review: Scala Rider (Bluetooth helmet setup)

A friend of mine that I ride with most often got me a Q2 to go with his, and we chit chat quite a bit while on the road. The range is quite good as well.

As for the phone, it works great. People on the other end never know you're riding. As one who's been on the other end, I can say occasionally you can hear the bike rev in the background but unless you know the person is riding you don't necessarily put it together.

This is an exceedingly simple setup with alot of features. I'd recommend it.

I'm planning on getting a set for me and the wife, glad to hear that it works well for rider to rider comm. Do you have to press a button to talk or just... talk?
    -Travis-

I bought the Teamset Pro a couple months ago and love it. I really like not having to wear ear buds in my helmet. I just clip my iPod shuffle (the square one with large buttons) next to the scala on my helmet and have full access to the volume, pause and skip buttons.
    The original purpose of the purchase was to be able to communicate with my girlfriend while riding. For that purpose it works great.
    I bought it at Performance and they had the previous version for a little less money. I went with the newer Teamset Pro which included Bluetooth on both units. I thought we'd be able to listen to music via Bluetooth from our BlackBerry\iPhone, but that wasn't the case. Our model does not support this. I guess the Q2 does though. It would be nice to completely eliminate cords, but I’m fine with using my shuffle as described above.

Quote Originally Posted by spdu4ia View Post
    I'm planning on getting a set for me and the wife, glad to hear that it works well for rider to rider comm. Do you have to press a button to talk or just... talk?

By default communication between the driver and passenger works by simply speaking. There is an option to turn this feature off and activate it by pressing a button. We usually have the auto-talk feature disabled because my girlfriend often starts a covo without intending to, due to wind noise or breathing or singing

We have had a pair of these for a couple of years (possibly earlier version) my mp3 jack stopped working and the bluetooth music on our droids isn't compatible but the phone is. It works fairly well, but my Buell is too loud to hear clearly on the road but when I rode my 250 on the street it worked good.
    The amazing thing is the rider to rider comm. Not good at distance unless you go to phone (PIA). But if you are teaching someone to ride it is invaluable. Being able to talk to the other person in full duplex without interference is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by oh10raven View Post

By default communication between the driver and passenger works by simply speaking. There is an option to turn this feature off and activate it by pressing a button. We usually have the auto-talk feature disabled because my girlfriend often starts a covo without intending to, due to wind noise or breathing or singing
    She would never be a passenger but I would like to be able to talk to her when we are both riding. I'm assuming that within sight distance of each other it works pretty well?
    -Travis-

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

I love my G4s. We did find that bike to bike talking doesn't work really well over 70MPH but rider/passenger works fine at higher speeds. Bluetooth works great and I get about 2-3 days of music out of them.
    "With every broken bone, I swear I lived."

Quote Originally Posted by spdu4ia View Post
    She would never be a passenger but I would like to be able to talk to her when we are both riding. I'm assuming that within sight distance of each other it works pretty well?
    Yeah it works within site just fine. We tested the range a little and I'd say she was a good 300-400 ft. away before it started cutting out or degrading. The Teamset Pro isn't designed to be used as bike to bike communication, like the other models, but I'd use it like that if she had her own bike. As long as you're near each other you should be okay.

Scers sidekick... PuhRobin Yearly Supporter Foolds's Avatar

I Bought the Sena bluetooth ones because they make an adapter to let you use headphones and since I like to ride with those in ear ones so I dont have to crank it up as loud and then dont need ear plugs.

Only have 2 rides on it so far but like it alot!

FWIW, We have a Q2 Teamset that we bought in 2009. Have riden Colorado, Utah, Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, Idaho, Oregon, Washington and British Columbia with them, and everyday around town. So.....they have some miles and time on them. Still work great.

Work great from bike to bike. I can stream Pandora to mine, use the phone etc. Love them. As mentioned above no one every suspects you are on the bike while on the phone. Rider to rider communication really makes the rides MUCH more fun.

Went out with a buddy I have been riding with for over 20 years. We paired our Scala riders and it was the first time we could talk and ride in 20 years. We had a blast!! Really changed the ride.
    Cole
    07 R1 .....now KTM 950 ADV!!!
    07 WeeeeeeStrom!
    2x KLR650s
    www.MotumMagazine.com

After a recommendation from my cousin, I bought the G4 earlier this year and am very pleased with it. I shopped around and found it on the net from www.cyclebots.com. Subtotal was $299, but I found a coupon (advrider) for $15 off and also received free shipping (over $100 order,) so my final cost was only $285. Not bad when the local stores have them for $485, huh?

BTW, Clovis...my manual says that the G4 is compatible with the Q2. I'll remember my book next time
    Last edited by Maremare110; Sat Jul 30th, 2011 at 03:07 PM.
    Live. Love. Learn.
    '09 BMW K1300S

I also have the Sena SMH10, and I'm quite pleased with it. Based on lots of research and review reading, the Sena is the king of all bluetooth communicators. One of it's best attributes are it's extremely high quality speakers. And you can get additional mounts (with speakers or earbuds and 2 mics) for less than $40. Great if you have multiple helmets. So, in summary, it sounds like the Scala units are perfectly good, but I have to recommend the Sena.
    --Dave
    2013 Honda VFR 1200F
    2014 Honda VFR800-SOLD
    2007 Honda VFR800-SOLD

2004 Kawasaki KLX300R

I wish I had known about that! I traded my Q2 pro for a multi set and got it earlier this week. Was $259 online.

When we stopped for lunch I found the manual online and did see the backwards compatibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Maremare110 View Post
    After a recommendation from my cousin, I bought the G4 earlier this year and am very pleased with it. I shopped around and found it on the net from www.cyclebots.com. Subtotal was $299, but I found a coupon (advrider) for $15 off and also received free shipping (over $100 order,) so my final cost was only $285. Not bad when the local stores have them for $485, huh?

BTW, Clovis...my manual says that the G4 is compatible with the Q2. I'll remember my book next time