Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New to dirt...

Re: New to dirt...

That is Thunder Valley. Watkins is in Watkins, CO. About half an hour east of downtown on I-70.

I apparently need to learn the lingo...and the locations
    First, the only person you have anything to prove to is yourself. Second, you can watch life with your nose pressed up against the glass. Or you can swing the doors open and step inside.

Quote Originally Posted by cdbouncer View Post
    ok...what is watkins? Is this the one down on C470?
    http://www.codirt.com/trails/?trailID=252
    2008 Honda CBR600RR - Graffiti
    2002 Yamaha WR250F

went out to Watkins today! The intermediate track is way fun! Was an awesome day until the boy spilled in a turn and finished off his clutch lever. Note to self...,extra parts, shade, more water...Watkins ftw! Will be returning! If the dude on the kawi who helped me get unstuck is one if us....thanks!
    First, the only person you have anything to prove to is yourself. Second, you can watch life with your nose pressed up against the glass. Or you can swing the doors open and step inside.

Get aluminium hand guards (aka bark busters), and you won't be buying new levers every time the bike is crashed.

amen to bark busters

could getcha a spare shift lever however

I have a spare attached to my frame with hose clamps so it's never forgotten
    1998 VFR800 Interceptor - resurrected and custom tail http://vfrworld.com/forums/5th-gener...98-vfr800.html

1999 DR650SE

Yea - for certain we'll bring extra levers and parts next time! We were just getting into the day really but..alas, we didn't bring any shade either - soon the sun woulda taken us out anyway.

I think we're planning on Berthoud this weekend - I don't think any events are planned for this weekend. Maybe Erie too - guess we'll see how many parts we break on saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by cdbouncer View Post
    we'll bring extra levers and parts next time!
    real guards, not levers....

Last edited by TinkerinWstuff; Mon Jul 18th, 2011 at 01:52 PM.
    1998 VFR800 Interceptor - resurrected and custom tail http://vfrworld.com/forums/5th-gener...98-vfr800.html

1999 DR650SE

Yep - I get what you are sayin.

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerinWstuff View Post
    real guards, not levers....

Might want to avoid IMI on Sunday. It is the day in the dirt event, so it will be packed. If you want to sign up, you can go to RMXA.com. I will be there, so let me know if you decide to go.

Thanks for the heads up...maybe back to watkins then on Sunday. I don't think I'm ready for a "day in the anything" yet...I got myself lost trying to get from the flats to the intermediate track yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by jrhurt View Post
    Might want to avoid IMI on Sunday. It is the day in the dirt event, so it will be packed. If you want to sign up, you can go to RMXA.com. I will be there, so let me know if you decide to go.

Looks like wife and I will be meeting a friend at Watkins tomorrow afternoon.

1999 DR650SE

We are planning on Sunday...pry berthoud. Void is on the MTn bike right now. Hmmm

ended up with a last minute change of plans. Now it appears we'll be at Watkins Sunday morning. It will be the wife's maiden voyage on dirt. A friend has an extra bike for her to try. Borrowed a portable canopy to try and keep the one-month old cool.

EdIT: ok, maybe not watkins. wtf is up with these dirt track retarded membership policies? Maybe we'll be at IMI.
    Last edited by TinkerinWstuff; Sat Jul 23rd, 2011 at 01:47 PM.

1999 DR650SE

Thumbs up Re: New to dirt...

Imi has dirt days tomorrow. We are going to Watkins tomorrow. Our first trip to Watkins was awesome. They didn't make us pay the membership....said we should see if we liked it and we could pay the next time. We are gladly paying the $30 family membership tomorrow. It's an easy going place with good people and a giant amount of different riding. Hills, trails, a big fun intermediate track, open areas, etc. You should come out!

I didn't see anything on the calendar for IMI tomorrow. Berthoud had something going on. Would have been awesome to meet up with ya but it's too late to change plans with the friend who's meeting us with her bikes.

1999 DR650SE

Have fun! I think the thing is over at 1:30 or something....

not on the calendar, where'd you hear?

http://imimotorsports.com/index.php?page=events

I will not be a happy camper

1999 DR650SE

from the chat window on the live feed:
    http://imimotorsports.com/live_race/

08:40:46 ‹Melissa› I heard there are some beginner tracks...
    08:41:01 ‹Melissa› my BF is a beginner and needs a safe place to learn

18:40:41 ‹James› Melissa, IMI has three tracks that can be considered "beginner" tracks. One on the backside of the property, one on the opposite side of the Pro track, and a 50cc track. All well suited for beginners. Just tell him to stay off the FMX ramps and landings, they'll be in use tomorrow.

1999 DR650SE

It's in this thread and the guy who sells me all my gear at performance said they'd be out there till around then. It's pry nothing ... I'm just not ready for a ton of people.
    Last edited by cdbouncer; Sat Jul 23rd, 2011 at 09:45 PM.

Another new girl to the dirt scene

Yay!!!