Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rider Mentoring

Rider Mentoring

There has been mention in a number threads of having experienced riders pair up with new or new to canyon riders for some one on one instruction time and riding evaluation.
    This would be a good place to ask for and offer the help.
    I think posting an open invite will just result in a group ride that will not offer any real quality help.

I propose that if you are looking for some help and your ego isn't too large, you can post up here and then if you aren't a total ass on here, and some one is willing to spend some time with you they can PM you and set up a meeting.

I would suggest posting times you would be available for 2-3 hours and then the mentors can see what fits into their schedules.

I hate to be the one who pushes the track thing because I know both worlds and some people have no interest or are intimated by the thought or riding track but I will throw that out here also. If you would like to visit IMI and really learn how to make your bike go around corners it will cost you all of $35 and no real bike prep. And they have fewer rules for rider gear than some of the recent rides posted here.

I don't know how to determine if those offering help are actually qualified per say to do so. I am too hoping this does not turn into noob helping noob.
    Everyone is so sensitive to their noobness that they get all pissy if it is questioned.

I am thinking more on the lines of you should have been riding for a minimum of 4-5 years and be one of "those guys or gals" that has a reputation for quick. Quick is different from fast.
    Last edited by Bueller; Sun Jul 10th, 2011 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Merge posts

Senior Member Yearly Supporter Tylar's Avatar

Re: Rider Mentoring

-Tylar

2009: 2009 GSXR 600 *wifey's*
    2010: 2008 YZF-R1

I concur. I hope this turns into a good thing for those that want to partake.
    '16 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
    '12 Kawasaki Concours14 -
    Sold
    '08 Kawasaki Concours14 -
    Sold
    '05 Suzuki SV1000S - Sold
    '07 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 - Sold

+1 I hope it doesn't turn into: "knee dragging in Boulder Canyon 101". This won't make you instantly keep up with the really good fast riders, this will give you the concepts and techniques to let you progress safely towards being a good safe rider. So if your ego will let you ride at the posted limit sometimes, speak up.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

I'm liking this very mucho
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    +1 I hope it doesn't turn into: "knee dragging in Boulder Canyon 101".
    Yeah, I find 7 is SO much better for that.......... (Kidding).

I think Bueller has a good idea here, and share your concern Jeff. But, I think smaller groups attract less attention from Johnny Law, and have less tendency to get out of hand due to their smaller size. I have a friend here who's getting back into riding that I've been taking around, showing him new roads, and it's been a lot of fun and I think he's doing very well and learning a lot. Not only that, he's a great guy and it's been a lot of fun getting to know a new friend better.

Like I've said, I don't have a problem with n00bs per se, I just would rather choose A n00b or 2 I TRUST to take out instead of a large uncontrolled group.

I hope people take advantage of this idea.
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    Everyone is so sensitive to their noobness that they get all pissy if it is questioned.
    Remember Yesterday. Plan For Tomorrow. Live For Today.

Current Stable:

'o5 SuzukiGSX-1oooR
    (Custom Street Fighter).
    'o6 Pitster Pro 50cc Pit Bike (125cc Big Bore Kit).

Bueller, just have volunteers post their experience in a predetermined format and let those looking for help choose!

Ehhh I'm a Noob and I did get/seek help. i've seen too many car accidents over the years. I still take noobs out in my car to show how the circit should be run, show them how to pick, run or hold lines car is more forgiving then a bike

Think this is a great idea
    No tickets YET this year *Knock on wood*

07 Audi S4 DTM
    06 CBR 1000rr

Quote Originally Posted by TransNone13 View Post
    Bueller, just have volunteers post their experience in a predetermined format and let those looking for help choose!
    While some people have endless patients that would be fine, I am not such a person so while I would be willing to choose a student out of a pool I am not inclined to have them choose me.

Of course if someone want's to be on such a list they are welcome to do so.

Well, you don't have to accept them. Just trying to be helpful, I personally don't know the area well enough.

a specific position or point in physical space

Quote Originally Posted by CYCLE_MONKEY View Post
    Like I've said, I don't have a problem with n00bs per se, I just would rather choose a n00b or two I TRUST to take out instead of a large uncontrolled group.

I hope people take advantage of this idea.
    +1
    9/7 MotoGP Fan
    "Four wheels move the body...Two wheels move the soul"

http://www.lubedealer.com/otg_oil_lube

I would enjoy riding one on one with a more experienced rider To attempt to help out my ability. Great idea bueller
    MRA Expert #880 - 2015 AmateurGTO Champion, 2013 NoviceGTU Champion
    2006 YZF-R6 Race "No name" - 2005 YZF-R6 Street "Aurora"
    2015 Sponsors: Dunlop, Speedin Motorsports, STM Suspension, Silkolene Lubricants, EBC Brakes, Pit-Bull Products

Text: (72O) 432-7236

When I first started riding here in Colorado, canyons were a mysterious beast. Jeff(asp125) was my first and only mentor and he really helped me with the fundamentals and my confidence. But now he has a girlfriend

I need help learning the capabilities of my bike in terms of lean and stability. Every time I'm in too hot, I pray and ride it out but I'd rather do it with resolve and knowledge I'm not about to die. Really, I want to be able to ride a quicker pace without thinking I have to hang off the bike all the time to make it through corners. I'm thinking about Bueller's video when I say this.

I'll be glad to post up a time I need mentoring next Thursday or Friday but I won't know for a couple days.
    Last edited by CaptGoodvibes; Sun Jul 10th, 2011 at 12:22 PM.

Gold Member Yearly Supporter mtnairlover's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post

I propose that if you are looking for some help and your ego isn't too large, you can post up here and then if you aren't a total ass on here, and some one is willing to spend some time with you they can PM you and set up a meeting.

I would suggest posting times you would be available for 2-3 hours and then the mentors can see what fits into their schedules.

I am thinking more on the lines of you should have been riding for a minimum of 4-5 years and be one of "those guys or gals" that has a reputation for quick. Quick is different from fast.

I like this idea, Bueller!

I also like the idea that someone else posted. That is...posting up your years of experience, etc. This would be for all to see and it would weed out the noob teaching noob idea. Someone can always call BS when those who post their experience do it in a public format.

With that said, I would like to suggest that a sticky get posted with names of those who are willing to mentor new(er) riders. The sticky and mentor names should include the following:

Year started riding:
    Male/female: this may need to remain unspoken or included in a PM, but the alternative is getting to the meeting spot and the noob realizes he's being taught by a woman and his ego ends up getting in his way of taking on some good advice
    Dirt experienced?
    Track experienced?
    Mountain road experienced?

Just my .02

I'm just not sure how the new(er) rider could be assured that they are riding with someone who has more than 4 years experience, or that this person is regarded as a good rider and not an ass.
    ...ready to take on the world...one canyon at a time...

Check out my WordPress blog -- Exploring Colorado’s 25 Scenic and Historic Byways: A two-year tour by sport bike, auto and 4×4 @ mtnairloversview

Like my Facebook page @ Colorado Scenic Byways Tours to learn more about the byways

+1 on IMI. I'm going tomorrow, July 11.

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forum...ad.php?t=40954
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Wingman needed, inquire within.

Quote Originally Posted by Clovis View Post
    Wingman needed, inquire within.
    Inquiring...

a specific position or point in physical space

Quote Originally Posted by mtnairlover View Post
    ...Just my .02

I'm just not sure how the new(er) rider could be assured that they are riding with someone who has more than 4 years experience, or that this person is regarded as a good rider and not an ass...
    As far as I know...I'm only considered an ass at my workplace?!?
    9/7 MotoGP Fan
    "Four wheels move the body...Two wheels move the soul"

http://www.lubedealer.com/otg_oil_lube

Wonder where this idea came from... lol. Guess you kinda beat me to it.

Maybe the experienced riders can PM Bueller over the next week so that we can get a pool going, once we have 10+? you can post them up and go from there. It would be nice to see a day/time posted that way its somewhat organized and we can stop for lunch somewhere and talk shop...

I like the track idea and maybe thats something everyone could take a look at for future mentoring. I bet this is something that we could turn into a monthly thing and that would be great!

Just ideas...

Original post -
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezzzzy1 View Post
    You know what would be cool....? A ride that paired an experienced canyon rider with someone that know how to ride but is looking to get better in the canyons. Something like 5 groups of 2 going off in 5-10 intervals. I have a fair amount of canyon experience but would totally jump at the opportunity to be critiqued, might be the only way I would hear about something I am doing wrong or could be doing better.

Im sure it would take a lot for some of the boards better canyon riders to "donate" a morning but I think the opportunity to share some of the great pointers you have collected over the years would be awesome! Im sure lunch could be worked in there as well.

Dont want to jack the thread but I think its a really proactive approach to the original concern.

So lets just start a list of the 5 canyon experts and go from there..LOL
    Last edited by Ezzzzy1; Sun Jul 10th, 2011 at 02:16 PM.

It all sounds good. I learned how to ride from people on here, that took me out and showed me a thing or two, had me follow their lines and ride behind me. I am grateful to all those who helped, but I also have to give some credit to the Missourisportbikeclub as well. I have been riding for a little over 2 years now and i have been taught well. So thanks.
    Imma girl....so what! What's your next question?

I'd be willing to dedicate an hour to someone willing to learn.
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

Bueller. I need some riding help. Still can't remember what side the clutch is on. Right foot or left foot?

Quote Originally Posted by Ezzzzy1 View Post
    Wonder where this idea came from... lol. Guess you kinda beat me to it.

You really think that no one else had thought of this before? We (several of the long time members) have talked about this since the start of this seasons crash fest. But came to the conclusion that hardly any of the new hot rods would willing to take advantage.
    BTW this is not the first year there has been this crashing epidemic, it happened last year and the year before and so on and so on, and will happen again next year.
    Maybe the experienced riders can PM Bueller over the next week so that we can get a pool going, once we have 10+? you can post them up and go from there. It would be nice to see a day/time posted that way its somewhat organized and we can stop for lunch somewhere and talk shop..
    What is going to make this any different fro any other group ride?

I am talking one on one separate from all other riders, perferably off hours but to be done outside the group dynamic.

I am not going to organize anything, this is an opportunity for those that want help to speak up and for those willing to help to contact them as they see fit.

As far as track instruction I usually hit IMI during the week when I can, to avoid the karting crowd but I usually post up, I have had only a couple of people ask for any instruction when they do show up. I will generally try to give the new guys some basic track etiquette and tips but usually after they demonstrate they have little idea of what they are doing.
    Last edited by Bueller; Sun Jul 10th, 2011 at 02:50 PM.