Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rider Mentoring

Re: Rider Mentoring

Quote Originally Posted by vort3xr6 View Post
    Bueller. I need some riding help. Still can't remember what side the clutch is on. Right foot or left foot?
    It's the right, and when the wheel locks up it's time to shift!

Ha.. No Bueller I dont think I am the first to think of this. Just saying that you jumped on another conversation and posted up your own. Thats all.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezzzzy1 View Post
    You know what would be cool....? A ride that paired an experienced canyon rider with someone that know how to ride but is looking to get better in the canyons. Something like 5 groups of 2 going off in 5-10 intervals. I have a fair amount of canyon experience but would totally jump at the opportunity to be critiqued, might be the only way I would hear about something I am doing wrong or could be doing better.

Im sure it would take a lot for some of the boards better canyon riders to "donate" a morning but I think the opportunity to share some of the great pointers you have collected over the years would be awesome! Im sure lunch could be worked in there as well.

Dont want to jack the thread but I think its a really proactive approach to the original concern.

So lets just start a list of the 5 canyon experts and go from there..LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfed View Post
    I consider myself an above average rider with several track days and a couple of races under my belt. But being new to Denver Im finding the canyons more challenging than I expected. Id spring for lunch for an ego-free guided tour.
    New thread?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    Guess I figured you cared about this enough to take the initiative to start a thread that maybe you would be willing to do more than just that. I see the value in you doing it the way you are and hope it works, I just had painted another picture in my head.

I think its a really good idea and would love to see some of the more outgoing experienced riders lend a hand in educating people that are interested in learning. Now its a pissing match and dont really see any point in stepping on anyone elses toes.

Great idea Bueller!

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

I live about 15 minutes from IMI so I could do some evening sessions out there after work, say from 4pm on. I could bring the GoPro and laptop along so we could go over what you're doing. Being in the monsoon season makes it a little trickier but the days are long. Right now I'm nursing a sore and swollen knee but hopefully that'll clear up in a few days.
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by CaptGoodvibes View Post
    Jeff(asp125) was my first and only mentor and he really helped me with the fundamentals and my confidence. But now he has a girlfriend
    I'm fairly certain this hasn't hindered his various abilities in any way.
    Last edited by 50sGrl; Sun Jul 10th, 2011 at 04:42 PM.

09 Yamaha FZ6R
    08 Yamaha XT250

This is beyond awesome guys, i would JUMP at the chance to learn from some of you guys, my work schedule is a bit funky but i believe i have this upcoming friday and saturday off.

Willing to meet anytime and anywhere, you are doing me a huge favor so the least i can do is make it as convenient as possible for ya.

Thank you for posting this up bueller!!

I am thinking more on the lines of you should have been riding for a minimum of 4-5 years and be one of "those guys or gals" that has a reputation for quick. Quick is different from fast.
    I fall into that group, I think. But I'm not sure anyone would want to follow the starship enterprise around
    '16 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
    '12 Kawasaki Concours14 -
    Sold
    '08 Kawasaki Concours14 -
    Sold
    '05 Suzuki SV1000S - Sold
    '07 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 - Sold

Ideally you would lead and follow. People with ride cams that can face both ways would be another great tool for analyzing after the fact. I don't think the instructors bike should matter much, like they say it's the rider more than the bike. If I were to do it I would probably ride my wifes 250.

Quote Originally Posted by Survivalism View Post
    This is beyond awesome guys, i would JUMP at the chance to learn from some of you guys, my work schedule is a bit funky but i believe i have this upcoming friday and saturday off.

Willing to meet anytime and anywhere, you are doing me a huge favor so the least i can do is make it as convenient as possible for ya.

Thank you for posting this up bueller!!
    Exactly! This is what I mean, now someone can PM you with an offer of assistance and you have been here long enough that you probably have a decent idea of who is who here but if their join date is 2007 or so at least you know they have survived the streets awhile otherwise one can respectfully request a short history of experience.

Quote Originally Posted by 50sGrl View Post
    ..That's what she said.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    ..That's what she said.
    '16 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
    Sold
    Sold

Quote Originally Posted by 50sGrl View Post
    He seems to be fully booked nowadays unlike in years past. No worries. His priorities are sound

Exactly! This is what I mean, now someone can PM you with an offer of assistance and you have been here long enough that you probably have a decent idea of who is who here but if their join date is 2007 or so at least you know they have survived the streets awhile otherwise one can respectfully request a short history of experience.
    Yeah ive got a decent idea of the "players" around here if you will, i would be willing to buy lunch or something similar as a token of my gratitude as well.

also willing to ride out to IMI for the first time, just a long trek for me to ride back to SE Aurora after riding hard at the track.

Hey I think you can always learn because when you think you know it all thats when you learn the hard way. Spooph has taught me alot along with bornwildandfree and i have beeen riding all over the country for at least 8 years or so but I love knowledge as all good knowledge will help you just as bad knowledge will hurt. But I feel that most of you are not gonna play with peoples lives and really help all of us and it just makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside....Thanks!!!
    They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Talking Re: Rider Mentoring

Bueller thanks for posting this up. I especially like your comment, "Quick is different from fast."
    New to the canyons and finding them more challenging then expected. Im typically off on Thursdays, working Saturdays. Repsol ao95 turned me on to IMI and Im planning on heading out this Thursday, 7.14, for practice.
    Id take some help at IMI, HPR, or any Canyon road. Im in Parker and I promise to leave my ego at home. PM me.
    Last edited by Cornfed; Sun Jul 10th, 2011 at 09:49 PM.
    Its not how fast you go, its how little you slow down.

I'm eyeballing July 29th for a track day at HPR. I'd love to have someone show me the line in the a.m., then catch me later in the day to tell me why I suck.

All my track days were at other tracks, so, here's a couple questions:

are the open lap days just non stop, any time you want, track time? or do they break it up and try to put slower people together?

Are there mofos out there running full race pace just randomly and flying past slow guys?

technojoe, HPR will usually break it up into slow/fast groups at an open track day. If the turnout is light, they will run open track for all. You really don't need to worry about racers...they know how to pass. IMI is open for all, 'cept when the karts are out.
    Last edited by FZRguy; Sun Jul 10th, 2011 at 11:00 PM.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

On the Friday before a race weekend you can expect there will be sessions for sure, probably Slow/Med/Fast.

Senior Member Yearly Supporter gtn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BC14 View Post
    I fall into that group, I think. But I'm not sure anyone would want to follow the starship enterprise around
    I've followed you. It's no big deal.
    Gary
    08 CBR1000rr - Candy Dark Red/Metallic Silver

I'm available for this.
    Motorcycle Roadracing Association #29
    President

MSF
    Rider Coach

Eager disciple in the Springs chiming in!

Though my preference is to be down in the Dirty, I don't mind making a trip north to meet with a mentor.

Thanks for the thread, Bueller.
    '09 Duc Monster 696
    '00 Suz SV650 (Dad's, garaged with mine)
    I like mountains because they make me feel small.

I am a new and low experienced rider looking for a mentor. I've had my bike since February of this year and put at least 5,000 on her since, over 75% of it in the canyons. The only think I know I do right really is looking through the corners, or at least I do my best to. As for everything else, I try to get a cheek off for faster corners (a crutch on the street?) and roll the throttle on through the corner. Although people say they are good things to do, I have no idea if I am doing shit correctly. I've also tried some different lines on cleaner roads, but I always found myself cutting in too quickly so the line I currently take is just the inside all the way through the corner(probably not the best). I bet my form is terrible really so I would gladly take some advice to improve

I can get out to IMI(never been) and to most canyons here around Denver, but I cant afford a real track day. I'm available all day Friday, Saturday and Sunday execept Sunday evenings.
    Last edited by WolFeYeZ; Mon Jul 11th, 2011 at 10:59 AM.
    MRA Expert #880 - 2015 AmateurGTO Champion, 2013 NoviceGTU Champion
    2006 YZF-R6 Race "No name" - 2005 YZF-R6 Street "Aurora"
    2015 Sponsors: Dunlop, Speedin Motorsports, STM Suspension, Silkolene Lubricants, EBC Brakes, Pit-Bull Products

Text: (72O) 432-7236

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    +1 I hope it doesn't turn into: "knee dragging in Boulder Canyon 101".
    but I miss the knee dragger rides that used to be posted up

Quote Originally Posted by BC14 View Post
    the ego thing comes into play here...sensitive noobs can tend to get pissy when a bike with saddle bags passes them.

I am by no means the best or fastest, but I'd be willing to help a brotha/sista out. IMI prefered, but I have also been known to ride at HPR and in the twisties.

My riding CV:

I can ride my bike with no handlebars
    Last edited by OUTLAWD; Sun Jul 31st, 2011 at 10:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OUTLAWD View Post

the ego thing comes into play here...sensitive noobs can tend to get pissy when a bike with saddle bags passes them.
    '16 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
    Sold
    Sold

I would be interested. Always open to improving myself so that I'm a safer rider for myself and for the people I ride with.
    '06 ZX10R