Thread: 141 Best Road in Colorado?

141 Best Road in Colorado?

Not at all. First off 90% of this road is straight with giant sweepers you'd have to take at 120mph to make interesting. Out of nowhere there will be a tight turn but then it's back to the 65mph speed limit so you can't even get a rhythm going. The pavement is choppy throughout and two sections are under major construction. The second half is filled with cattle guards and for some reason none of them are on the straight parts. Oh and it is covered by the state patrol who are immaculate dicks in that area. Scenery is a 6/10... wouldn't ride it again.

550 is wonderful. 133 is a plus plus. 24 north of Leadville is nice. 134 and 131 from I70 to Toponas are okay. My front range favorites are 7, Deckers (126), and Stove Prairie.
    George Mock | 2008 ZX6R | GoPro Hero | 3:551 5806

Re: 141 Best Road in Colorado?

I actually like 141 but I like pretty much all the roads. It depends on condition. What makes 141 appealing is the distance from here. It's a good day's ride out if you go straight and a nice weekend if you explore.

191 is also a great road if you want to try heading south.

Carl

Long Distance Gear Checklist 2002 Hayabusa - Now with 100,000+ miles!

Sha bro! You speak-a-da-truth! Staties suck!
    Respect and truth trump all!
    I don't get lost. I explore.

Performance award x3. Like a boss.

Being dangerous in the rain... to the nobody that lives the f--- out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Vellos View Post
    Not at all. First off 90% of this road is straight with giant sweepers you'd have to take at 120mph to make interesting. Out of nowhere there will be a tight turn but then it's back to the 65mph speed limit so you can't even get a rhythm going. The pavement is choppy throughout and two sections are under major construction. The second half is filled with cattle guards and for some reason none of them are on the straight parts. Oh and it is covered by the state patrol who are immaculate dicks in that area. Scenery is a 6/10... wouldn't ride it again.

550 is wonderful. 133 is a plus plus. 24 north of Leadville is nice. 134 and 131 from I70 to Toponas are okay. My front range favorites are 7, Deckers (126), and Stove Prairie.
    Astride a ZX6R, yeah, not a top 10 road/ride. Astride just about any other class of bike, as one sits more upright and soaks in the 1000ft. sandstone cliffs through a magical landscape, going with the flow, then CO 141 through Gateway is a top 10. There are reasons it is the Unaweep - Tabeguache Scenic Byway (Unless you're talking about CO 141 through Bedrock/Paradox and beyond which has its moments through Sharp Canyon).

Sounds like you passed through when it wasn't at its best. Looks like crappy weather accompanied. A riding friend declares CO 141 as his favorite road/ride in all of Colorado. I've never seen enforcement on 141, nor any construction zones. Perhaps it is due. Far western slope roads are known for slight shifts in the road base due to the modest seismic activity in the area, but a bike with lowered damping rates, and suspended accordingly, handles it almost imperceptibly. You don't note CO 92 (Black Canyon North Rim) or CO 149 (The Silver Thread). Now these babies deliver a top 5 riding experience, especially on a ZX6R!

Gonna have to subjectively disagree the CO 141 Scenic Byway is only a scenic 6 out of 10!

http://youtu.be/NFtj9Ey-qto

Last edited by sfarson; Mon Jul 11th, 2011 at 09:44 PM.

FZ1 and I bonded with 141. Nothing more to say...

Quote Originally Posted by Penadam View Post
    Performance award x3. Like a boss.
    ruh ro

What's the damage?
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

Local jerk Yearly Supporter

if they still got to ride the bike home the ticket couldn't have been that good!

Hwy 141 thru Gateway is on my top 5 list for the same reasons Steve mentions. Same for 149 and 92. I'll add the Grand Mesa, McClure Pass and Wolf Creek Pass.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

if you want the same turns with no surprises, go to the track...otherwise...go see some sites!

Quote Originally Posted by Zach929rr View Post
    ruh ro

What's the damage?
    double what the rest of the trip cost...
    Respect and truth trump all!
    I don't get lost. I explore.

Quote Originally Posted by sfarson View Post
    You don't note CO 92 (Black Canyon North Rim) or CO 149 (The Silver Thread).
    92 has half the road torn up currently and 149 is choppy as hell (had my front tire skipping out over some of the cracks). I'm merely commenting on the actual quality of the roads and how fun they are to ride on more than just their scenery.

Quote Originally Posted by FZRguy View Post
    I'll add the Grand Mesa, McClure Pass and Wolf Creek Pass.
    Haven't done Grand Mesa. McClure Pass was on my list. I enjoyed Wolf Creek but there was a fair amount of traffic as its the major byway to Durango.
    Last edited by Vellos; Tue Jul 12th, 2011 at 09:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vellos View Post
    92 has half the road torn up currently and 149 is choppy as hell (had my front tire skipping out over some of the cracks). I'm merely commenting on the actual quality of the roads and how fun they are to ride on more than just their scenery.
    Yeah, CO 92 is going through another round of chip/seal. CDOT relishes the frequent application of the crud on 92, always seemingly on a surface not needing it.

Only about 30 miles of CO 149 are "choppy as hell", mostly between Spring Creek and Slumgullion Passes. The surface is excellent the rest of the way of this special 117 mile destination road.

Haven't done Grand Mesa. McClure Pass was on my list. I enjoyed Wolf Creek but there was a fair amount of traffic as its the major byway to Durango.
    You note "133 is plus plus" in the original post. It definitely is. This is the road over McClure Pass. Maybe you have ridden it.

CO 65 over the Grand Mesa is oustanding for the scenic lake tour, but as with many roads/rides is this region, it is more of a sport tour versus a sport blast. Now for a thread hijack moment, if any of you find yourself on the north side of the Grand Mesa, just north of the town of Mesa, there is a special intersection of CO 65, CO 330, and the Debeque Cutoff. Every turn has two wheeled attractions. For those in the sporting mode or mood, a turn west on CO 65 through the Plateau River Canyon, or north on the Debeque Cutoff will have you grateful a sportbike is between the knees. Not long, but major fun.

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=CO...p=2&sz=12&z=11

The Debeque Cutoff as it winds over, around, and through a landscape of shrubby rock outcroppings and dry river beds...