Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 8/20 Memorial Ride/Fundraiser for Dave Camp's Daughter

Account Deactivated at users request Yearly Supporter

8/20 Memorial Ride/Fundraiser for Dave Camp's Daughter

Ride Details:

Meet at the Morrison Conoco (MoCo) at 8:00am, KSU 8:30am! Heading to Deckers for the ride, then getting back into town to ride over to the Walnut Room for the benefit concert/raffle/silent auction that starts at 12pm.

Hi everybody, I hope this is okay to post here...

As many of you are aware, Dave Camp (V4Whore on this forum) was killed on his motorcycle on 6/29/11. Dave left behind a really wonderful daughter (Alyssa) and I'd like to put something together to help her out a bit in this very hard transition time. We don't have to go overboard but I know we can think of a fun day for all involved and help her out at the same time.

I've never done anything like this before so I really don't know the best way to go about this. I was thinking along simple lines - a memorial ride ending up at one of the local bars/restaurants willing to work with us, some sort of raffle, and maybe even have a couple local bands play. I already know of at least one band who is willing to work this into their schedule and Sascha might as well.

Any help that anyone can offer would be awesome:

1) Ideas for fun/good fundraising events

2) A hosting location, preferably with a stage we can use (and maybe a sound person we can borrow?). I was thinking that Walnut Brewery might be a perfect spot to end up at since they have a nice stage and a parking lot which can accommodate a lot of bikes. Plus they work with the CSC on a lot of other stuff it seems. Does anyone here know those guys well enough to work with them on this, or have contacts at another good location?

3) Does anyone have any contacts at the local bike shops? Maybe we can get some gear or service from them to raffle off with all proceeds going to Dave's family?

4) Does anyone own (or know) a business that may not be in the motorcycle community but would be willing to donate a product or service to be raffled?

5) Rybo mentioned that working with an attorney would be a good idea, so that we or Dave's daughter don't get hit by tax ramifications on the donations. Does anyone know an attorney who might do this pro bono?

6) Anything else I'm missing?

Thanks so much everybody. The emotional support from CSC members has really been wonderful, for my own sanity and especially for Dave's family. I just spoke to his mom yesterday and she was so touched by the large number of riders that came to the memorial service. If we can keep the energy going for just one more thing - a little fundraising for his daughter - it would be so appreciated.

UPDATE:
    Hi all, I just wanted to thank everyone again...

It looks like August 20th is the date we're aiming at for the memorial ride/raffle/music/festivities. Please put that on your calendar. I'm thinking a Deckers ride in the morning and then ride to the Walnut Room which is where I think we'll be doing the rest. Jim Wilson is helping so much with that side of things.

Alyssa and her family will be in attendance so you can meet her and see what an amazing person she is. She's been stronger than I during this whole thing, she's really something else.

I'll have the donation forms (for financial AND product/service donations) that I received from Terry/ABATE. Anything you donate will be tax deductible.

We will do a Deckers run in the morning (leaving Moco at 8:30am), and then end up at The Walnut Room just before noon. The music will begin at noon and we'll end the day around 4. There will be a 50/50 raffle, door prizes, and a silent auction.

Here are the donations for the Silent Auction (and door prizes):

Rybo: Chicane will donate 1 free entry to the trackday on September 5th. Rybo is also donating funds for every 9/5 trackday entry received by 8/20 so get entered for that Chicane trackday!
    Rapparee: Arai Vector II Helmet (and aluminum bottles for door prizes) - RECEIVED
    303 Cycles: Knox Handroid Gloves (normally sell for $250!!!), also supplying coupons that when presented 303 Cycle will donate 10% of the purchase to Dave's memorial. - RECEIVED
    Jason Pridmore: The AGV T-2 helmet he wore for Celtic Racing at Laguna Seca! Autographed as well. How cool is that???
    ABATE: Miscellaneous Items for door prizes - RECEIVED
    TFOG: $50 gift certificate - RECEIVED
    Performance Cycle: Two $50 gift certificates - RECEIVED
    Grand Prix Motorsports: Miscellaneous t-shirts, hats, etc. for door prizes - RECEIVED
    Fay Myers: Some door prizes - RECEIVED
    Slo: Nick @ MAC Autosport will donate 2 baseline (no tuning) dynos for cars (2wd or awd) - RECEIVED
    Slo: Jon Vigil @ Trackstar Performance Garage will donate a $50.00 voucher for free labor for cars. This can apply for regular labor rates or 50.00 off fabricating jobs. Also can be used towards AMSOIL products. - RECEIVED
    Slo: 4 gift cards for DazBog coffee, each one for $25.00 - RECEIVED
    Slo: 2 gift cards for Starbucks coffee, each one for $25.00 - RECEIVED
    Wrider: Speed & Strength Twist of Fate Gloves
    GuitarX: Cruiser/Café-style leather jacket - RECEIVED
    Rick O’Shea (guitarist for AKA): Jay Turser Electric Guitar - RECEIVED
    Ninja2: Certificate for a 4-5 hour rock climbing experience at Garden of the Gods - RECEIVED
    Faster Performance: Dyno Runs
    UglyDogRacing: 2 MRA Super Street Vouchers
    GB's Fish & Chips (Ezzzzy1): $25 gift certificate - RECEIVED
    Brothers BBQ (Ezzzzy1): Two $25 gift certificates - RECEIVED
    Michelle Coronel: Gift basket including free massage certificate - Total Value $150 - RECEIVED
    Sean: Two vouchers for 1-hour guitar lessons - RECEIVED
    Madvlad: BG Lenz Saver kit - Valued at $60 - RECEIVED
    Anonymous: Size Small Flip-Up Style Helmet
    Gary Walker: 2 tickets to any 2011 MRA event - RECEIVED
    SalsaShark: Taste of Philly gift certificate - RECEIVED

Sincerely,
    Gary
    303-282-9800
    Last edited by GuitarX; Sat Aug 20th, 2011 at 06:09 AM. Reason: Added Grand Prix Motorsports door prizes

Re: Memorial Ride/Fundraiser for Dave Camp's Daughter

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarX View Post
    2) A hosting location, preferably with a stage we can use (and maybe a sound person we can borrow?). I was thinking that Walnut Brewery might be a perfect spot to end up at since they have a nice stage and a parking lot which can accommodate a lot of bikes. Plus they work with the CSC on a lot of other stuff it seems. Does anyone here know those guys well enough to work with them on this, or have contacts at another good location?
    I can arrange this at The Walnut Room if that's the location you want.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarX
    3) Does anyone have any contacts at the local bike shops? Maybe we can get some gear or service from them to raffle off with all proceeds going to Dave's family?
    I have contacts at all the local shops. I can help you with this.

4) Does anyone own (or know) a business that may not be in the motorcycle community but would be willing to donate a product or service to be raffled?
    I'm sure ABATE would be willing to help out in this area.

5) Rybo mentioned that working with an attorney would be a good idea, so that we or Dave's daughter don't get hit by tax ramifications on the donations. Does anyone know an attorney who might do this pro bono?
    Ed Smalley may be able to help out with this.
    Motorcycle Roadracing Association #29
    President

MSF
    Rider Coach

I second the Walnut Room idea.
    '16 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
    '12 Kawasaki Concours14 -
    Sold
    '08 Kawasaki Concours14 -
    Sold
    '05 Suzuki SV1000S - Sold
    '07 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 - Sold

Huge Member Site Admin Mother Goose's Avatar

I'm in. Let me know what I can do to help, Gary.
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

subscribed...... Gary i can help ya lead or sweep.
    Last edited by Matty; Tue Jul 12th, 2011 at 09:34 AM.
    Remember Yesterday. Plan For Tomorrow. Live For Today.

Current Stable:

'o5 SuzukiGSX-1oooR
    (Custom Street Fighter).
    'o6 Pitster Pro 50cc Pit Bike (125cc Big Bore Kit).

I should be in for this.....even if something comes up last minute, I will still donate. I can also talk to a couple of car shops, possibly for gift certificates for free baseline dyno or services. Obviously for cars, not bikes, but still something.

Gold Member Yearly Supporter mtnairlover's Avatar

Some ideas...

Top 10 Ideas for Fundraising Events

Children of Fallen Riders - blog idea

Here's another idea...

A one-day treasure hunt (entry fee needed), finding specific things/items (taking pictures along the way of items) and ending at the stage in a park where there will be food and other fun things to do, as well as listen to music (some sort of cover charge to pay for food and music).
    ...ready to take on the world...one canyon at a time...

Check out my WordPress blog -- Exploring Colorado’s 25 Scenic and Historic Byways: A two-year tour by sport bike, auto and 4×4 @ mtnairloversview

Like my Facebook page @ Colorado Scenic Byways Tours to learn more about the byways

Lead, Sweep, can't play an instrument, But The Walnut Room has epic pizza...

MRA Racer No.427

Scers sidekick... PuhRobin Yearly Supporter Foolds's Avatar

Contact Terri At Abate. Shes on here as Abatestatecord shes Great! and has helped us several times get stuff set up. Abate has an ability to do cash raffles and things like that due to there status as a non profit Charity. Walnut room is Central and if anyone can make shops help you out its JIM! I can also hit up my contacts.

Wow, you guys are awesome! Jim, should I call you to make this easier than typing out a bunch of posts back and forth? I don't mind taking a lot of this on my shoulders as well so you're not working so hard.

I was thinking Walnut Room because they seem CSC-friendly, have a great stage, great food, and decent parking, etc. If there's a better location, I'm open to it. Since there's a bike night there this Wednesday, do you want to meet there and talk about this at all? Or will you be too busy with your normal bike night duties?

Thanks again...

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarX View Post
    Wow, you guys are awesome! Jim, should I call you to make this easier than typing out a bunch of posts back and forth? I don't mind taking a lot of this on my shoulders as well so you're not working so hard.

I was thinking Walnut Room because they seem CSC-friendly, have a great stage, great food, and decent parking, etc. If there's a better location, I'm open to it. Since there's a bike night there this Wednesday, do you want to meet there and talk about this at all? Or will you be too busy with your normal bike night duties?

Thanks again...
    Sure come talk to me tomorrow night.
    Motorcycle Roadracing Association #29
    President

MSF
    Rider Coach

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    Lead, Sweep, can't play an instrument, But The Walnut Room has epic pizza...
    +1 for the pizza. I can help with riding coordination as well, if need be.
    '16 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
    '12 Kawasaki Concours14 -
    Sold
    '08 Kawasaki Concours14 -
    Sold
    '05 Suzuki SV1000S - Sold
    '07 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 - Sold

Gary,
    I don't know what I can help with, but I'm more than willing. If you need a random person for a random task, please don't hesitate to contact me.

If I had a band, I'd be happy to perform. Unfortunately, most of the musicians I know are either jazz or classical. Not really the kind of music that pumps up a bunch of sportbikers!

-Sean

I'm definately 100% in on this Gary - anything you need, just let me know. Maybe I could help with Set Up/ Tear Down or clean-up or whatever.

say when, Gary.
    Sinfix is ready to Jam for this great cause!

good on you

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

I'm in. If you could maybe setup/postup a PayPal address that I can send my donation to, I will do it posthaste.
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Awesome that you're doing this Gary, and also to all that are helping or riding.

Dave will always be with us as long as we keep his memory in our thoughts and hearts.

Hopefully I can make it as I have my daughter every other weekend starting this weekend.
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

Thank you all so much, it's times like this that you can see how much everybody in the CSC really cares about each other. Thank you, thank you, thank you. This means a lot.

Barn - hold off for now on the donation. I need to figure out what the legal/tax ramifications are. I want to set this up properly so no one gets an unexpected call from the IRS. Thank you for your generosity!

Gary

I have a truck and I'm in no way afraid of hard work. If there's anything at all I can do just call seven 20 939 9601 my name is rob.
    A good long ride can clear your mind, restore your faith and use up a lot of fuel.
    A good rider has balance, judgment, and good timing. So does a good lover.

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

Sure thing Gary. Even the money can just go toward purchasing something for the raffle, or helping with the logistics of it all...

I figure it there's a "leftover fund", she could get some good use out of small cash gift (or the equivalent).
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

I'm in too. Like rfranks I have a truck and am not afraid of hard work. You can get ahold of me at seven 19 six six1 sixsix85.
    Ryan

Subscribed. Hopefully I will be available to help / ride.
    Last edited by asp_125; Tue Jul 12th, 2011 at 08:42 PM.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    Subscribed.
    +1

Sounds great Gary. Will follow this post, hopefully will be around to help/ ride.
    2011 Ducati Multistrada 1200
    04 R1... it looked fast for a reason (gone)