Thread: Gas overflow?

Gas overflow?

So for the past 2 days I've rode the F4i to work. It sits parked in the sun, and I've noticed that there is gas dripping out of the overflow hose ( i think it's gas, and the gas overflow hose). Is this a natural occurance due to heat?

depends on how much gas you have in the tank. If you just filled it, sure. If not, you might want to check it out further- like make sure it's gas and see exactly where it's coming from.
    Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious.

If it's a little bit of dripping, just a small puddle, that used to happen to mine too sometimes. As I recall it went away after awhile... if a lot comes out, or it does it all the time, you might want to look into it.
    Alex
    MRA #68
    http://www.3dstickfight.com/racing/
    Racing Performance Services, Racer Supply Co., Morse Racing Products
    ”Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature nor do the children of humankind as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing."
    -- Helen Keller

I have never seen it on mine

Well it's only a very small amount, and it's coming from the hose without a doubt. It does also have a full tank. It does not do it overnight, that is why I think it's from the heat.

Two things:

1. Heat expansion, this happens to any fluid. Though I doubt you're expanding it enough to flood the tank.

2. Evaporation/Condensation: Fuel turns to vapor at high temperature, it is likely evaporating and the vapor is travelling down the overflow tube, where it condenses into liquid again and drips out. Park in the shade or don't fill it up so much and this won't happen.

My R1 would leak a bit of gas right after doing stoppies with a full tank.

Quote Originally Posted by rforsythe
    Two things:
    2. Evaporation/Condensation: Fuel turns to vapor at high temperature, it is likely evaporating and the vapor is travelling down the overflow tube, where it condenses into liquid again and drips out. Park in the shade or don't fill it up so much and this won't happen.
    I think that's what's happeneing. I'll try to find a shady spot to park in. Thanks