Local jerk Yearly Supporter

Re: Don't Crash Saturday 7/23

vellos you throw one hell of a party!

Gold Member Yearly Supporter McVaaahhh's Avatar

IBTL.
    '02 RC-51 - Street
    '05 Pitster Pro 125 - Pitbike madness

Be polite. Be professional. But be prepared to kill everyone you meet.

"Motorcycles tell us a more useful truth: we are small and exposed, and probably moving too fast for our own good, but that's no reason not to enjoy every minute of the ride."
    ~Dave Karlotski

For all that don't know or think they know, the #2 turn (first right hander) going up Bear Creek is NOT "the" decreasing radius turn on that road. Counting every little curve, the one real decreasing radius turn is about #14 (or #5 coming down from the little church). And it has a "U" sign with a recommended speed of 30mph, which in my opinion is too fast. Most cars would squeal their tires at that speed. And most sport bikers that "double" the recommended corner speeds couldn't make that corner at 60mph...even if they were an expert. I know that road well, and even knowing where it is and how severe it is, I still hit it too fast sometimes and drift left a little.

That first right hander where he crashed is a pretty standard, even corner with good pavement and usually no debris. Hell, it could have been something as simple as a giant fresh bird shit that caused a break in traction...doesn't take much on the front tire to put you down.

Sorry, all the incorrect comments about the corner were bugging me.

OK, I'm done.
    --Dave
    2013 Honda VFR 1200F
    2014 Honda VFR800-SOLD
    2007 Honda VFR800-SOLD

2004 Kawasaki KLX300R

The corner in question does suggest 25 and anything below 30 I go carefully around. The worse diminishing that Dave is talking about suggests 30 when it should be 25 as even most cars have to brake hard when it sharpens up.
    George Mock | 2008 ZX6R | GoPro Hero | 3:551 5806

There aren't any giant flying birds anymore. Sorry, but that was bugging me.

Quote Originally Posted by WolFeYeZ View Post
    Sometimes I would like to hear more than just "over his head" and "he panicked" but there does not often seem to be any more of an answer than that.
    While I don't have any statistics to support this, the majority, if not all, of single vehicle motorcycle accidents I have come across are caused by rider error.

I am not saying that anyone was riding over their head, and I wasn't there to witness this incident in particular, but what other answers are you looking for?

in the case of gravel/ice/pothole/etc. the rider was not riding to the road conditions present.

running wide, or other "off line" incidents, the rider was probably target fixating or didn't have appropriate reference points for the speed they were travelling.

another one is knee jerk reactions coupled with not being smooth, these will upset the bike's suspension under ideal circustances, and only gets worse as the situation/environment becomes less ideal.

more experienced riders can sometimes have skills that allow them to overcome some of these rider errors, like trail braking to further scrub off speed while leaned over, altering body position to be able to take a corner faster, or being able to smoothly transition the bike, and apply the gas/brake, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptGoodvibes View Post
    There aren't any giant flying birds anymore. Sorry, but that was bugging me.
    Sure there are...I call them shit-a-quarts. I've seen splats as big as a CD.
    --Dave
    2013 Honda VFR 1200F
    2014 Honda VFR800-SOLD
    2007 Honda VFR800-SOLD

2004 Kawasaki KLX300R

Quote Originally Posted by OUTLAWD View Post
    While I don't have any statistics to support this, the majority, if not all, of single vehicle motorcycle accidents I have come across are caused by rider error.

I am not saying that anyone was riding over their head, and I wasn't there to witness this incident in particular, but what other answers are you looking for?

in the case of gravel/ice/pothole/etc. the rider was not riding to the road conditions present.

running wide, or other "off line" incidents, the rider was probably target fixating or didn't have appropriate reference points for the speed they were travelling.

another one is knee jerk reactions coupled with not being smooth, these will upset the bike's suspension under ideal circustances, and only gets worse as the situation/environment becomes less ideal.

more experienced riders can sometimes have skills that allow them to overcome some of these rider errors, like trail braking to further scrub off speed while leaned over, altering body position to be able to take a corner faster, or being able to smoothly transition the bike, and apply the gas/brake, etc.
    Hey, thanks man. I really appreciate it. What are some of these skills to work on for overcoming some of these problems?
    MRA Expert #880 - 2015 AmateurGTO Champion, 2013 NoviceGTU Champion
    2006 YZF-R6 Race "No name" - 2005 YZF-R6 Street "Aurora"
    2015 Sponsors: Dunlop, Speedin Motorsports, STM Suspension, Silkolene Lubricants, EBC Brakes, Pit-Bull Products

Text: (72O) 432-7236

Hey, thanks man. I really appreciate it. What are some of these skills to work on for overcoming some of these problems?
    Quote Originally Posted by OUTLAWD View Post
    George Mock | 2008 ZX6R | GoPro Hero | 3:551 5806

Quote Originally Posted by Vellos View Post
    Reading fail for the most part. Thanks :P
    MRA Expert #880 - 2015 AmateurGTO Champion, 2013 NoviceGTU Champion
    2006 YZF-R6 Race "No name" - 2005 YZF-R6 Street "Aurora"
    2015 Sponsors: Dunlop, Speedin Motorsports, STM Suspension, Silkolene Lubricants, EBC Brakes, Pit-Bull Products

Text: (72O) 432-7236

Keith Code's Twist of the Wrist books are a good read and go into detail about techniques and putting them into practice.

for street riding, proper reference points, lane position, "panic" braking without panic, and staying relaxed are good places to focus on first.

I know some people are anti-track and whatnot, but honestly, pushing you and your bike's limits in a controlled-esque environment will give you a better feel for what these things are actually capable of.

As you push harder you may uncover body position or technique issues that are causing problems, even though these issues might go un-noticed during street riding, when you correct them or alter your style, your street riding will improve as well. it is a continuing process for sure.

Been racking my brain for the answer of what i did wrong for the most part. I think I may have had a bit much tire pressure and was leaned over too far or my tires were too cold and washed out. But my tire pressure was a little high which when i checked it the night before it was lower so beats me kinda hard to pin point when your watching your baby take off with out you ....so sad but all my fixer parts will be here soon. Cant wait to get back out there and maybe i was just complacent all it takes is one quick second and ding fries are done. Im so glad another rider or car wasnt coming the other way I couldnt live with myself if i hurt someone else.
    Last edited by koru; Wed Jul 27th, 2011 at 09:34 PM.
    They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin