Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Thread: Girls who ride, let's get to know each other!

Quote Originally Posted by EarthAngel8201";p="215086
    Heres the question-what the best way to get the shiny side back up quickly?--I dont intend on doing it again but just in case I have another mislap in judgement.

[/color]
    Assuming the bike is on the left side:

First, HIT THE KILL SWITCH.

Next, turn off the gas if necessary.

Make sure the bike is in gear if you can get to it. If the bike is not in gear and you cannot get it in gear the technique becomes more difficult but can still be done.

Standing with your butt toward the seat, stoop down and with your right hand take the left grip.

When you grab the grip, pull it until it is as close to the tank as possible. With your left hand find something sturdy to grab hold of under the seat. The closer your left hand is to your body the better.

You place your butt mid way on the edge of the seat.

This is CRUCIAL.

The placement of your butt too high or too low on the seat will not give you the leverage angle. You are pushing the bike with your butt and upper legs. You will have to pull up with your arms a bit butt mostly you will be pushing the bike up with your legs.

You must have good traction under your feet or your feet will slip. If there is gravel under your feet sweep it away with your boots until you get dirt. Same for grass. Be careful not to push the bike over the other side

Once you have the bike up, carefully put the side stand down and lower the bike to it.

If you can't get to the side stand with the heel of your boot, turn carefully and grab both grips then put the bike on side or center stand.

The process is the same if the bike is on it's right side. But your hands are reversed, of course. Your LEFT HAND is on the RIGHT GRIP and your RIGHT HAND grabs UNDER THE SEAT. It is easier to get it into gear. Remember to put the side stand out first so that you can ease the bike onto it once it is upright.
    '05 Titanium 1000RR

now with bi-turbo goodness Site Admin Mel's Avatar
    Wow, good advice Christine! I will have to read that a few more times to get the thing memorized just in case.
    The only time my bike has ever gone down was when I was hit my a stupid drunk kid. Long story, but basically kid hit from the side with a truck and knocked me over (at a stop light, I was stopped, be was barely moving), I cursed at him, he and his friend got out and tried to hit me (fist wise). Couple other people got involved-including my riding partner who took a nasty hit to the face, and the kids took off. I had so much adreneline pumping through me that I don't know how I got the bike up...I just kinda grabbed, pulled, jumped on and went after them (someone needed an ass beating for scratching my bike).
    If you are calm and collected, things seem a lot harder to do then when you are pissed off and full of adreneline.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Wonderland, chasing the white rabbit.....
    hahaha i would have loved to see mel throw her bike up and haul ass after some punks, that'd be da shit !!!

note to self: take mel on all rides.
    ~ Mrs. Pissy Pants ~
    "Saw It, Wanted It, Had a Fit, Got it!"
    1998 Grand Cherokee ~ 4.5" lift on 33's
    The Poserific Mall Crawler
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~
    2001 Kawi ATV (Da dirty dirty-Sold) ~ 2006 GSXR 600 (Sold) ~ 1998 FZR 600 (Sold) Even the Jeep has been sold. feck.
    RIP Gene, 502

Find me on Facebook!

Re: Girls who ride, let's get to know each other!

Hello ladies! I am a new rider as well ( I just got my bike on Tuesday of last week). It's an '03 Kan-a-tuna.... hahaha... yeah it's a beast. But it's a good bike for me because it's lower to the ground and doesn't try to dump me if I pop the clutch a little by accident.

So... a little about me. I'm a student up at CSU. I have 1 1/2 years left until graduation (it seems far away but I know the time is going to fly past me). I'm a pretty happy, sarcastic and goofy person who just wants to laugh and have fun. I hate BS and don't like to waste my time dealing with it. I try to avoid it but sometimes it is inevitable...I'm very assertive and would like people to be the same to me. But life is too short to take everything seriously, that's why I still play in the dirt!!! (ie I work in construction). From what I have read, everyone here seems very fun and I am looking forward to meeting everyone!

CBRChick: I am sure your advise on how to lift the bike up will be very helpful for me if I do dump it (which I hope I won't but probably will... knock on wood) considering my bike weighs over 450lbs!

EarthAngel: I know exactly how you feel about riding in groups. I wouldn't feel comfortable riding with a group just yet. I am having fun learning by myself from just riding to/from work and riding around town. Traffic can be a little intimidating but atleast I don't have to worry about keeping up with the other riders. I know they wouldn't expect me to, but I would probably feel like I should try to. I also completed the MSF course and that was a BIG help. Plus... you don't ride your won bike so if you drop it, it doesn't really matter My class was taught by a 55 year old lady and her son. They were very encouraging and helpful. I really did learn a lot and also got my license through them. I would suggest the course to any new rider.

I hope to see you all around soon!

Hello.. My name is Nessa.. and I'm a recovering weekend alcoholic. :P

Um.. just playin..

Well real name is Vanessa, people that know me call me Nessa.
    I was born/raised in Santa Fe, NM. Moved to CO with Bulldog420 about 8 years ago.

I just passed my MSF last weekend, and just took my first street ride this evening along side of Bulldog. WOOHOO! Sense of achievement! My first bike is an '04 Kawasaki Ninja 250.

Yay Nessa! I hope it wasn't too scary, I know my first time out was very intimidating. It gets more comfortable the more you ride.

Congrats!!!

Tanya
    '00 Ducati Monster 900
    '03 Ducati Monster 620 (sold)
    '00 Mercedes Benz C280 Sport
    '91 VW Jetta GLi 2.0 16v on it's nutz (sold)

Anonymous: "Ok...so I had sex with Grimace..."

How come none of these women live in the Springs?
    2001 Porsche 911 Turbo
    2006 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S
    2011 Ducati Diavel Carbon

Quote Originally Posted by T-byrd";p="215240
    Yay Nessa! I hope it wasn't too scary, I know my first time out was very intimidating. It gets more comfortable the more you ride.

Congrats!!!

Tanya
    Thanks! Yeah it was a little intimidating..

But I feel much better now knowing I got thru it and did well. And the longer I was on it the more confident I was.

congrats nessa!!! now frisco and bulldog can ride bitch and carry the backpacks, aye?!
    ~ Mrs. Pissy Pants ~
    2001 Kawi ATV (Da dirty dirty-Sold) ~ 2006 GSXR 600 (Sold) ~ 1998 FZR 600 (Sold) Even the Jeep has been sold. feck.
    RIP Gene, 502

Find me on Facebook!

Hi All! I guess I should say something about myself. I've been riding for about 3 years now. I currently ride a Ducati S2R and I love it! The extent of my riding experience has taken place here in Colorado from canyon riding to track days. I have been very fortunate to have good and nurturing coaches and riding buddies that have helped me along the way. I think we are very lucky to live in Colorado and have the best canyons to explore.

I want to welcome the new girls to the forum and congratulate them on their new accomplishments. Just want to let them know that the key to improving your riding is saddle time. Be safe out there and hope to meet you girls out there soon.
    Last edited by S2RGRL; Sun Oct 1st, 2006 at 07:08 PM.
    Marilou

'05 Ducati Monster S2R Dark

"If there ever comes a day when we can't be together... keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever."

Quote Originally Posted by Suki";p="215247
    congrats nessa!!! now frisco and bulldog can ride bitch and carry the backpacks, aye?!

Yep! And mine is pink...

Congrats Nessa! And great choice for your first bike. The Ninjas are awesome!

------------------------
    Student Driver Racing / My Little Pony Racing
    Aerobics instructor seeks optical illusion...#502, baby

Yay Nessa!!! Congrats on the new bike and passing the class!! I can't wait to see you out there... you might want to think about the ride on the 16th of July... if you are feeling comfortable enough
    '05 Titanium 1000RR

Welcome Lucky.
    CONGRATS NESSA --The first ride is a little scary/intimadating..I still have yet to get on the highway--that should be interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suki";p="215247
    now frisco and bulldog can ride bitch and carry the backpacks, aye?!
    well if it makes Frisco and Bulldog feel any better WristShot could be riding bitch with a purple backback!!!

P.S. For those of you that live around here in Aurora- I think on Wednesday after work-I am going to just go tooling around town if anyone would like to join either call me or PM me.

Gold Member Yearly Supporter Sully's Avatar

I'd be down for Wednesday.. gimme a ring yo !
    Glitter Factory Racing
    MRA #415

Sol Performance - Pirelli Tires

Quote Originally Posted by CBRChick";p="215295
    Yay Nessa!!! Congrats on the new bike and passing the class!! I can't wait to see you out there... you might want to think about the ride on the 16th of July... if you are feeling comfortable enough
    Thanks everyone!

I'll think about that ride. But I might be a little tired. I'm going to Vegas & Cali that week and return on the evening of the 15th. SO I might not be up to it. (Flight should get in about 10 or so that night).

Sweet--will do.....

Quote Originally Posted by EarthAngel8201";p="215307
    .......I still have yet to get on the highway--that should be interesting. .
    definitely get some road time under your belt before getting on the highway. When i purchased my bike, the only riding i had done before was in the msf class. the guy i bought my bike from lived out in aurora, 225 and mississippi (somewhere around there) and i had to ride the bike from his place to thornton, 128th and colorado blvd.... FREAKING SCARY!!!!!!!

not to scare anyone that is new on the roads, but just something to consider. first of all, the road is right there, DO NOT look down.. secondly, when you are in a car you have a sense of protection from the body of the car, but on a bike you are in the open, so when other cars are zipping by you or riding your ass because you are only going at max like 55 mph it can start to get to you. road construction sucks balls, pot holes, gravel, dirt, unfinished roads with grooves that pull you in any direction that the grooves are going, those sucked royally! finally, the wind factor was the scariest part for me, especially when a big ass semi runs past you...

but the good thing about highway driving when you are new is that its just straight and no stop and go, unless there is traffic of course!!

I will definitely never forget that first day, but it does get easier and more fun!!!
    ~ Mrs. Pissy Pants ~
    RIP Gene, 502

Find me on Facebook!

Sully, Lindsay,

what time are you thinking? i'll be in the DTC wednesday til about 330 or so and could probably swing by A-Town for a little ride before heading north
    ~ Mrs. Pissy Pants ~
    RIP Gene, 502

Find me on Facebook!

I dont get off work until 4:30...I would like to avoid rush hour-but if you want to join that'd be cool-I would be up for going sooner. I dont know about Sullys schedule--

I'm off work at 3:30 and can be ready to roll by @ 4:00... ...

I think I may get out this evening as well... anyone wanna meet at the Morrison Conoco @ 4:45ish ?

edit:... I just remembered that I have a dentist appt. on Wed.. soo... I can be ready by 5:00ish...
    Glitter Factory Racing
    MRA #415

I would have to get on the highway to meet you--I am still chicken shit!!

Quote Originally Posted by EarthAngel8201";p="215342
    I would have to get on the highway to meet you--I am still chicken shit!!
    mmm kind of.... you could take Hampden all the way... although it does turn into kind of a highway after Kipling... but we can meet up to ride there if you want.
    Glitter Factory Racing
    MRA #415

What time are you thinking?

I'll call you if I decide to stop being a candy ass and want to go--