Thread: Temp Tags, Now What?

Temp Tags, Now What?

So I bought a new car about 2 months ago and still have the temp tags on it. I haven't received anything in the mail from Arapahoe County yet. My tags expire in less than a week on July 25th. What do I do?

Re: Temp Tags, Now What?

Head to the License place and check....I never got anything when I bought my bike...went in to check on it before the temps expired and they had all the paperwork ready to go

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

Get yourself arrested?
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

you can call your county and they can check if the paper work had cleared, if so you dont even have to wait for a copy to come to you via mail you can go right in, Jeffco sucks at mailing them on time, i went in and paid the day before got the real paper 2 weeks later
    No tickets YET this year *Knock on wood*

07 Audi S4 DTM
    06 CBR 1000rr

I thought temp tags are only good for a couple months, then you have to go to DMV, pay tax and tags, THEN get your perminent tags. This seems like it's already payed for and you just get them in the mail???

someone clarify.

<-- douglas county
    Last edited by tecknojoe; Mon Jul 25th, 2011 at 09:45 PM.

Local jerk Yearly Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by rforsythe View Post
    Get yourself arrested?

Quote Originally Posted by tecknojoe View Post
    I thought temp tags are only good for a couple months, then you have to go to DMV, pay tax and tags, THEN get your perminent tags. This seems like it's already payed for and you just get them in the mail???

someone clarify.

<-- douglas county
    New/used from dealer and private sales if a temp tag is issued, you are spose to wait for notice from county that you can go in and pay the tax and for your tags. reason for this is paper work for title transfer must be approved before they will issue you a plate. So when you have the title in hand in a sale you can just go in and pay to get your plates sometimes there's no title transfer work to be done

07 Audi S4 DTM
    06 CBR 1000rr

So here's the story. I bought the car, went to the Arapahoe County clerk the next day and got my registration and temp tags. I paid the taxes and registration fees through my bank when I got the loan. They told me at the county clerk office that I needed to wait for their "post card".

I guess I will call or go down there tomorrow morning.

Get yourself arrested?
    Sounds like good weekend plans....!

the post card is after the dealer/bank sends in the paper work to your county, but the county lags usually after 2 weeks its in the computer but nothing sent to you as long as you have your insurance card id just head down tomorrow and see if your in the system.

07 Audi S4 DTM
    06 CBR 1000rr

Just simply go into your local county dmv and show them your proof of insurance and pink temporary registration and voila
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

A phone call might save you time and effort. The dealer might be tardy submitting the paperwork, or the county's computers are screwed and not processing fast enough. If the former, yell at the dealer. If the latter, you should rightfully be able to get another temp tag.

FWIW, I get about 50% of the postcards I'm supposed to receive from Denver county. Might be my fault as they're easily buried in the weekly heap of ad flyers.
    2015 KTM 1290R (Black)

Government ain't going to miss out on their money, trust me. They'll have your info in their systems lol
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

I had a similar problem after I bought a car... DMV told me that if it came down to the wire and the paperwork/postcard wasn't ready yet, they'd issue me another temp tag.
    ~Jess~
    2010 Triumph Daytona 675 SE
    2008 Kawi GREEN Ninja 650R

Quote Originally Posted by ShinySideUp View Post
    Sometimes things happen beyond our power and we can't make it. Like...your brake lines "accidentally" get cut, or a nice man comes through your window in the middle of the night and politely suggests you withdraw from the activity...who knows?

Call the dealership and ask if they sent the paperwork to the county. They should be able to provide a tracking number for that stuff. Then verify it was delivered, and call the county.

One time a dealership sent my paperwork to Denver county even though they had calculated and paid Adams county taxes. Caused me to have to get an extended temporary.
    2008 Honda CBR600RR - Graffiti
    2002 Yamaha WR250F

don't wait until the last day to check this out. I had paperwork issues on the last car I bought. Ended up needing three temp tag extensions to get everything sorted. Because I didn't wait until the last day to go in, they noted in their computer and I didn't get hit with any penalties.
    1998 VFR800 Interceptor - resurrected and custom tail http://vfrworld.com/forums/5th-gener...98-vfr800.html

1999 DR650SE

I went down there this morning before work. They did indeed have me in the system. It turns out I forgot the emission report..... But the good news is, I get to go in the express lane tomorrow! I thought for sure that I paid both sales tax and registration fees at the bank when I did the loan paperwork. I guess I only paid the taxes. No I have to pay the registration fees tomorrow...

BTW, I don't have to get new emissions if the seller gave me the report from August of last year, do I?

Registration fees are separate; you paid the sales tax in the loan. We had a delay in Mrs. Clovis's registration this month. They just gave her temp tags again and she went back a week later.

I'm not sure on the emission as they did away with that years ago here in El Paso county. Prior that I'm pretty sure it was good for two years but I would imagine it varies by county.

Quote Originally Posted by D_Sp8s View Post
    I went down there this morning before work. They did indeed have me in the system. It turns out I forgot the emission report..... But the good news is, I get to go in the express lane tomorrow! I thought for sure that I paid both sales tax and registration fees at the bank when I did the loan paperwork. I guess I only paid the taxes. No I have to pay the registration fees tomorrow...

BTW, I don't have to get new emissions if the seller gave me the report from August of last year, do I?
    When I bought my new car in '07 the dealer assured me all the fees were taken care of with the financing and all I would have to do was pay something like $30 for the actual plates. Long story short I got the most awesome "are you fucking kidding me" look from the clerk when I gasped at the $370 I suddenly owed them. Obviously a dealer is gonna say whatever it takes to sell you something, then deny the conversation ever happened when you go back in on FIRE because you were mis-informed by their "knowledgeable" sale's staff and financial gurus.

/rant

If the car is newer then 3 years you don't need emissions if sold in same state as first sale, but any time the car is registered the new owners are required to do emissions

So i would say yes you do need to do it

how else can they justify a system that looses thousands of dollars a day to run
    in jeffco they loose 30 dollars for each car ran... amazing

07 Audi S4 DTM
    06 CBR 1000rr

I got to say, I liked buying new vehicles in MI, its all worked out at the dealer level...they even handle the plates. *shrug* That way no hidden cost. But I guess here as the plating fee is a wealth tax they don't want you to know it might cost $680 to get a plate...LOL

Before CO I never went to the DMV, that was were you went to get your picture taken...LOL

Quote Originally Posted by madvlad View Post
    Government ain't going to miss out on their money, trust me. They'll have your info in their systems lol
    They'll definitely get their money one way or the other, but sometimes they do screw up.

I went to renew motorcycle plates online in Denver earlier this year, and the website reported that I needed an emissions test. Three phone calls, two conference calls, and a day later and they had their stuff straightened out.

D_Sp8s, glad it worked out!
    2015 KTM 1290R (Black)