Thread: Any other members here doing the LOE 1000 rally this year?

Any other members here doing the LOE 1000 rally this year?

Just registered for this last week. Did it back in 2005 and it was a blast.

http://www.loe1000.org/index.html

Back then it was the first endurance rally of the sort I had done, and I made a few mistakes. Would have been in the top 10, but some of my pics at night did not come out great, so did not get credit for a few bonus locations. Finally getting a chance to do it again this year and redeem myself.

Anyone else here planning on attending this rally?
    2008 Hayabusa - 2004 FJR - LEDRider LED Aux Motorcycle Lights

Re: Any other members here doing the LOE 1000 rally this year?

I've never done anything like that but it seems pretty cool. Be sure to give us a post-rally report with pics.

Amateurs... Chupacabra finds you, not the other way around.

That does look fun, although I bet NM is still hot as shit in October.
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

Quote Originally Posted by Zach929rr View Post
    That does look fun, although I bet NM is still hot as shit in October.
    It can be, and then it can get really cold at night. Thank god for Gerbings!

I dont know whats so special about finding El Chupacabra, he was right here in Colorado a few weeks ago, and is in Washington state right now...

Exposed Member Lifetime Supporter Bashed's Avatar

My buddy and I did it last year, both on our sportbikes. Most of the other IBA participants looked down upon us and openly told us we wouldn't even come close to finishing. A few cool people, but mostly stuck on if you aren't riding a touring/sport-touring bike your an outsider. We placed right in the middle out of 70 starters, alot didn't finish, but we wern't in that class. Those people take that stuff way to seriously. My buddy and I had a great time, it got abit rough around 2 in the morning when it started to rain/sleet, but we did it. The weather was just about perfect otherwise. Pissed a few people off when we rolled in early, including one of the organizers who proclaimed we wouldn't make it. 1000 plus miles in the seat of a CBR is not easy on the ol body.
    Have fun, don't take it so seriously, it's only riding.
    * Bash, Bashasaurus, Ms Bash, his neighbors or friends are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you being squidish, squid like, squirting ink, or waving your non-covered tentacles about in a squidy fashion. Nor is he or his associates responsible for any citations as a result of you hanging with SoCo. Any attempt to coerce, blame, question, or pin your loser-riffic behavior on any of us, or those who are considered us for the night, as well as people we like, to include Salma Hayek and Nicky Hayden, among others, will result in a profanity stricken series of post that mock and taunt you incessantly, as well as many of us adding such insults to our signature lines. Avoid taking SoCo before bedtime. Do not use if you experience faintness, dizziness, inverness, difficulty urinating or blotchy skin. If I steal a line, quote, avatar or image from a post you make on the internet, you're not getting credit.*

Quote Originally Posted by Bashed View Post
    My buddy and I did it last year, both on our sportbikes. Most of the other IBA participants looked down upon us and openly told us we wouldn't even come close to finishing. A few cool people, but mostly stuck on if you aren't riding a touring/sport-touring bike your an outsider. We placed right in the middle out of 70 starters, alot didn't finish, but we wern't in that class. Those people take that stuff way to seriously. My buddy and I had a great time, it got abit rough around 2 in the morning when it started to rain/sleet, but we did it. The weather was just about perfect otherwise. Pissed a few people off when we rolled in early, including one of the organizers who proclaimed we wouldn't make it. 1000 plus miles in the seat of a CBR is not easy on the ol body.
    Have fun, don't take it so seriously, it's only riding.
    Yeah, some of them can be that way. I am going to show them what a sport bike can do though

I've done 1560 miles in 23 hours on the Busa, and I have 5 gallons of aux fuel; so I have over 400 miles in range. I'm planning on 1500-1600 miles for this one. Of course the Busa is kinda like the bastard offspring of a touring bike and a true sport bike ..

And yeah, I heard last year was pretty nasty with the rain. That does make things a tad less bearable.
    Last edited by JustinP; Thu Jul 21st, 2011 at 02:00 PM.

Justin,
    Yep, my buddy was on a busa last year, his was decked out with a custom comfyt seat, and hid lights which really helped in the mist at night. Get yourself a throttle locker of some type, and a gps. Those two items made the differance for me. We did our big miles in the daylight and dialed it back for the nightime stint, it made it easier on the mind knowing we had 10 hours to go 300 miles, which was easy, and we got a 2 hour nap in as well. Also, a 20 minutes rest on a picnic table does wonders for the brain. We placed 34-35th, and didn't really try to do better, just to finish was our goal. We laid out a route with all the requirments, and added two bonuses just to cover ourselves, which was good cause my buddy failed to get a reciept at one of the stops. If my buddy wants to go at it this year I might do it again, I have a really plush riding wee-strom that would be way better for th old back. He has a K1200 ?? BMW now, I think it wipes his ass or something from the way he talks about it. I'll kow more later.....
    Bash

Quote Originally Posted by JustinP View Post
    Yeah, some of them can be that way. I am going to show them what a sport bike can do though

I've done 1560 miles in 23 hours on the Busa, and I have 5 gallons of aux fuel; so I have over 400 miles in range. I'm planning on 1500-1600 miles for this one. Of course the Busa is kinda like the bastard offspring of a touring bike and a true sport bike ..

And yeah, I heard last year was pretty nasty with the rain. That does make things a tad less bearable.
    * Bash, Bashasaurus, Ms Bash, his neighbors or friends are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you being squidish, squid like, squirting ink, or waving your non-covered tentacles about in a squidy fashion. Nor is he or his associates responsible for any citations as a result of you hanging with SoCo. Any attempt to coerce, blame, question, or pin your loser-riffic behavior on any of us, or those who are considered us for the night, as well as people we like, to include Salma Hayek and Nicky Hayden, among others, will result in a profanity stricken series of post that mock and taunt you incessantly, as well as many of us adding such insults to our signature lines. Avoid taking SoCo before bedtime. Do not use if you experience faintness, dizziness, inverness, difficulty urinating or blotchy skin. If I steal a line, quote, avatar or image from a post you make on the internet, you're not getting credit.*

Justin,
    Yep, my buddy was on a busa last year, his was decked out with a custom comfyt seat, and hid lights which really helped in the mist at night. Get yourself a throttle locker of some type, and a gps. h
    Yeap, all covered Got the cramp buster, throttle lock, comfy grips, Corbin seat, beaded seat cover, HID's, raised bars, aux fuel, GPS and anything else listed in my sig. It's all set up for eating miles. That part's easy for me. The part I need to work on is the bonuses, and making sure I plan them out right.

Did they do a big point bonus last year that was like 750 miles out? In 2005 one of the bonus locations was Casper WY. So was a 1500 mile round trip.
    Last edited by JustinP; Thu Jul 21st, 2011 at 10:52 PM.

Nope, it was a head game rallye. Some locations were worth plus points, others were worth negitive points. Closest to zero won. Minimum 9 locations to hit, with the 1000 mile cavet. Way to much math for me.

Nope, it was a head game rallye. Some locations were worth plus points, others were worth negitive points. Closest to zero won. Minimum 9 locations to hit, with the 1000 mile cavet. Way to much math for me.
    Heh, yeah, I prefer the hard miles type rally over complex math

Luckily I'll be bringing the netbook with Streets and Trips and the calculator app lol.