Thread: Girls CAN pick up their fallen motorcycle

Gold Member Yearly Supporter mtnairlover's Avatar

Girls CAN pick up their fallen motorcycle

I edited the title because it makes more sense, but I still think women need to realize where their strength is.

So, there's the question I've been asking myself for a while now. Can anyone (no matter size, gender, whatever) pick up their fallen motorcycle? And I'm posting here, because I hear it a lot from my girlfriends who ride that they don't believe they could. Guess what? Yes, you can!

I did not find a good video of a fallen sportbike, but this Harley is 550#s and the girl looks about 115 #s. This video shows the correct steps to picking up a bike...

How to pick up a fallen motorcycle...

...and just to drive home the point about size of girl not making a difference...this one looks like she's even smaller than the first video...

Girl Lifting Harley...

Even a 60-something year-old tiny woman can pick up a bike...this one is a Goldwing...

Picking up a fallen Goldwing...

So now...get some practice. Prove to yourself that you can do it. The feeling of confidence it gives you is liberating. Kinda helps with feeling comfortable riding by yourself too.
    Last edited by mtnairlover; Thu Jul 21st, 2011 at 08:27 AM.
    ...ready to take on the world...one canyon at a time...

Check out my WordPress blog -- Exploring Colorado’s 25 Scenic and Historic Byways: A two-year tour by sport bike, auto and 4×4 @ mtnairloversview

Like my Facebook page @ Colorado Scenic Byways Tours to learn more about the byways

Re: Where's your strength?

Good information Cathy.

I did notice that all of those videos demonstrated a bike having fallen on its right side though, making use of the side stand once the bike is upright. They should have demonstrated what to do from both directions. While the concept is the same, there is a balance component while trying to get the side stand down. Depending on the ground, this could be difficult from either side.

I guess I would fear having it fall in the opposite direction vs not being able to do it at all.

As for practicing..... I dont think I want to lay my bike down to try it......

Re: Where's your strength?

Quote Originally Posted by Reyven View Post
    Good information Cathy.

I did notice that all of those videos demonstrated a bike having fallen on its right side though, making use of the side stand once the bike is upright. They should have demonstrated what to do from both directions. While the concept is the same, there is a balance component while trying to get the side stand down. Depending on the ground, this could be difficult from either side.

I guess I would fear having it fall in the opposite direction vs not being able to do it at all.

As for practicing..... I dont think I want to lay my bike down to try it......
    lol...yeah, I know they showed proper technique when the kickstand is on the opposite side. There was another video that showed proper technique from either side that was using a F650. But when they asked a woman to pick it up, they showed her not able to pick it up, which I did not like (negates my point -- anyone can do this), but the technique is in this video...

How to pick up a motorcycle...

In each of those videos, the bikes weren't damaged, because they were laid down easily...but, if you don't want to use your own bike, think about a junk-yard bike... or maybe a friend would be happy to put their bike down on the ground.

Oh and I've done this technique several times on various surfaces...

Check out my WordPress blog -- Exploring Colorado’s 25 Scenic and Historic Byways: A two-year tour by sport bike, auto and 4×4 @ mtnairloversview

Like my Facebook page @ Colorado Scenic Byways Tours to learn more about the byways

Re: Girls CAN pick up their fallen motorcycle

Thank you for sharing. I will try this next time I forget to put my kickstand down, in front of my garage.

I've picked mine up the first time without knowledge of any such techniques- my adrenaline was going and I was able to tap into some unknown reserve. But then again, my bike is relatively light.

Earlier this year I dropped it in a sloping parking lot at Walgreens and was just SO angry and cussed up a storm. An off-duty firefighter who had parked near me saw the whole thing and came over to help. I didn't look at him the entire time I was so embarassed, but I could feel these waves of amusement coming from him.

Thanks, Cathy, these will help for future scenarios (but future scenarios will never happen again, right?! )
    Last edited by aerofaze; Thu Jul 21st, 2011 at 09:31 AM.
    '09 Duc Monster 696
    '00 Suz SV650 (Dad's, garaged with mine)
    I like mountains because they make me feel small.

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Yep, I've had to use this technique 2x, once with the SV and once with the ZX. If you guys want, I can empty the gas out of the SV and we can set up a practice day?
    "With every broken bone, I swear I lived."

If I also get to ride your ZX, I'll be there!
    Thank you.

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Hehe you can ride my Z anytime Ninja2.
    "With every broken bone, I swear I lived."

On my toes! Lifetime Supporter PunyJuney's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aerofaze View Post
    I didn't look at him the entire time I was so embarassed, but I could feel these waves of amusement coming from him.
    He would have been just as amused watching a guy do the same thing.
    But note to single girls, practice this near a firehouse, or in front of any local watering hole that affluent single men visit after work for happy hour.

Quote Originally Posted by PunyJuney View Post
    But note to single girls, practice this near a firehouse, or in front of any local watering hole that affluent single men visit after work for happy hour.

why must one be single to do this? can you honestly say you wouldnt mind getting the help whether he was taken or not? and can your significant other really complain that you are practicing how to be more self sufficient?

Silly me, I just watched the first video all the way through again and she does lift the bike from the other side as well, showing the technique if you have to maneuver beside the bike to get the kick stand down, too.

Oh and a CSC member, Joe, just PM'd me and wanted to let you all know that he's willing to let anyone try lifting his bike. He rides a DRZ and lives in Aurora...so send him a PM. His CSC username is Joe.