Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CSC Server Performance *** UPDATE: Problem Linked to Google Chrome

CSC Server Performance *** UPDATE: Problem Linked to Google Chrome

ADMIN EDIT: This only seems to be a problem with Google Chrome. For instructions on how to fix it, scroll down to post #25 or click here.

Ralph / Bob, I know that you guys have many more important things to worry about with your real jobs. I just want to put this out here as I'm sure many people are experiencing the same delays in performing the simplest of tasks on CSC. This only started after the site was moved to the new servers. I'm not sure if it's a hard coded speed/duplex setting on the new hardware or maybe latency with the database.

I'm seeing delays in server response when clicking to view a thread, reply to a thread or to create a new thread. It took over 20 seconds after clicking the "New Thread" button to create this thread, I got no response and clicked it several more times before I was directed to the new thread page.

I've also noticed that there are many double posts. I'm not sure if that is because people are moderating their own posts (doubtful) or because they post, the server response is too slow so they attempt to post again and end up with a duplicate.

In running a continuous ping to the server I'm seeing inconsistent response times ranging from 9ms-200ms. I know that you are doing this on your own time, and I thank you for all the time and effort you put into keeping CSC running. I just wanted to make you aware in case this is something you may want to look into....in your copious three seconds of spare time of course!
    Last edited by Admin; Mon Aug 22nd, 2011 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Identified Chrome as the problem & added link to instructions on how to fix it.

Leah
    05 Raven R1
    01 YZ250F

Re: CSC Server Performance

Problem: server connected to cisco switch port that is set to negotiate at a specific speed, and the network card in the server is set to auto negotiate.

Solution: set server NIC to negotiate at the same speed that the switch port is set to
    2008 Honda CBR600RR - Graffiti
    2002 Yamaha WR250F

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Problem: server connected to cisco switch port that is set to negotiate at a specific speed, and the network card in the server is set to auto negotiate.

Solution: set server NIC to negotiate at the same speed that the switch port is set to
    Ha! Thats the first thing the network engineer consultant said to me (personal network issues)....most of network issues he deals with is a speed/duplex/negotiation issue.

PS Editing this post took 664ms for editpost.php to load
    Last edited by TurboGizzmo; Wed Jul 27th, 2011 at 09:17 PM.
    1998 CBR600F3 "Desert Storm" - SOLD

WAS keeping the banana seat alive!

For me when the page lags it will not load even if I try waiting for it. I have to keep trying and 1 out of 10 times it will instantly load.
    George Mock | 2008 ZX6R | GoPro Hero | 3:551 5806

60 percent of the time it works everytime

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLq2-uZd5LY

Local jerk Yearly Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by CaptGoodvibes View Post
    60 percent of the time it works everytime

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLq2-uZd5LY
    Where is the cookie? and i didnt get the invite to the pants party!

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post

Negative. Server is connected to a gigabit switch and everything is negotiated properly, and in any event the virtual machine running the web server talks to the VM running the database through a virtual switch where duplex doesn't really exist. That doesn't affect the ISP link however.

Folks I know it's annoying, and I will get it resolved as soon as I can. We are on a better server, but the ISP not so much as that got changed as well. The dupe posts are probably from people clicking submit multiple times waiting for reloads, though oddly enough I don't see these issues myself when I'm remote.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter t_jolt's Avatar

Ralph i know you've probably already looked, but could it be blocking on the Database? or disk queues? I know those disks are way faster then the old ones you were using, but maybe its a thought? or could their be proc contention with the vm's?

Tyrel
    Mitsujagvettecedes 1000RXTS GTR

Hand built by Jerry Garcia, Dan Gurney, Chuck Norris and Duntov's ghost. GT97 turbo,
    8WD, berilium pistons, titanium rods, unobtanium crank. Block forged from the dead souls of Mongol warriors. Depleted Uranium Dog box, Flubber tires, and stage 87 axles.

-1.07 @5.7c

I have experienced no problems at all.
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

waaaaaaaaaaaaaa It takes like a second for the threads to load. waaaaaaaaaaaa

people will bitch about anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach929rr View Post
    That's because you're mentally slow. Your thought process and the servers are now in sync.

Since I don't understand any of this, but I'm very grateful for them...

Quote Originally Posted by King Nothing View Post

No bitching here, just making a site comment.

Leah
    05 Raven R1
    01 YZ250F

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zach929rr View Post
    +1
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Quote Originally Posted by rforsythe View Post
    Negative. Server is connected to a gigabit switch and everything is negotiated properly, and in any event the virtual machine running the web server talks to the VM running the database through a virtual switch where duplex doesn't really exist. That doesn't affect the ISP link however.

Folks I know it's annoying, and I will get it resolved as soon as I can. We are on a better server, but the ISP not so much as that got changed as well. The dupe posts are probably from people clicking submit multiple times waiting for reloads, though oddly enough I don't see these issues myself when I'm remote.
    Strange... This is identical to issues I've seen on other web servers that had to do with port negotiation. But yeah, if it's virtual, that makes it a different ballgame. Some people notice it, some don't. Jitter is massive when pinging the server. It was never this way before the switch. It's so bad for me, that each time I click, I usually have to click 5-10 more times for the page to load. Otherwise, it times out completely.

Quote Originally Posted by King Nothing View Post

And yet, here you are bitching about people bitching about something. Thanks for proving your own point. Holy fucking hypocrisy.
    2008 Honda CBR600RR - Graffiti
    2002 Yamaha WR250F

Senior Member Yearly Supporter gtn's Avatar

I haven't experienced any of the issues discussed above.

I just ran a set of 100 pings, and the hi/avg/lo were 129/92/87. No packets were lost.

Seems more like a peering issue with the ISP.

I have Comcast for an ISP at home. Sprint and Verizon at work. Though I haven't run the ping test from work, I do occasionally sneak a peak at CSC from there and haven't had any issues since the move.
    Last edited by gtn; Thu Jul 28th, 2011 at 05:48 PM. Reason: and ≠ at
    Gary
    08 CBR1000rr - Candy Dark Red/Metallic Silver

No problems here, and I really appreciate the software upgrade to 'New Posts' functionality!
    2015 KTM 1290R (Black)

You may be onto something Ralph. Since you mentioned the browsers I started testing it in various scenarios. It just seems to be Chrome both in OSX and in Windows. I'm connecting to the site with Safari right now and I've tested with IE and Firefox and I haven't experienced the same delays. At least I can get my fix. That's all that matters! Thanks Ralph.

Leah
    05 Raven R1
    01 YZ250F

This seems to be a caching issue with Chrome specifically, and not unheard of on the Internet. My guess is Chrome is trying to remember some old location for files, and it can't find it there so it all but stops. For those of you using it, please clear all cache and page history out of it and see what happens.

than sincere ignorance

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Senior Member Yearly Supporter Tylar's Avatar

This seems to be a caching issue with Chrome specifically, and not unheard of on the Internet. My guess is Chrome is trying to remember some old location for files, and it can't find it there so it all but stops. For those of you using it, please clear all cache and page history out of it and see what happens.
    Done that a few times, no joy.

I'm just sticking to Safari when I need to read about drama....because I just have to have it.
    -Tylar

2009: 2009 GSXR 600 *wifey's*
    2010: 2008 YZF-R1

Quote Originally Posted by Tylar View Post
    Done that a few times, no joy.

I'm just sticking to Safari when I need to read about drama....because I just have to have it.
    Yeah, according to one article, clicking delete doesn't actually do it - you have to go manually nuke the files. Google it if you care that much.

than sincere ignorance

Senior Member cptschlongenheimer's Avatar

Did these. Helped at first but after closing a few threads and reopening I started seeing timeouts again. Read a tech bulletin that said DNS pre-fetching in chrome may be the issue. Trying now with that turned off. So far, all is good?
    89 EX500 RIP
    06 R6S RIP
    03 R6

Senior Member Yearly Supporter Tylar's Avatar

Yeah, according to one article, clicking delete doesn't actually do it - you have to go manually nuke the files. Google it if you care that much.
    Google is starting to act like the collective...

Quote Originally Posted by cptschlongenheimer View Post
    Did these. Helped at first but after closing a few threads and reopening I started seeing timeouts again. Read a tech bulletin that said DNS pre-fetching in chrome may be the issue. Trying now with that turned off. So far, all is good?
    I'll try this. Two browsers for the single task of avoiding work is unacceptable.
    -Tylar

2009: 2009 GSXR 600 *wifey's*
    2010: 2008 YZF-R1

Senior Member cptschlongenheimer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tylar View Post
    Google is starting to act like the collective...
    I'll try this. Two browsers for the single task of avoiding work is unacceptable.
    Agree on both.

Since I've changed this setting, no more timeouts but I still cannot upload an attachment from chrome or IE

How to:
    Click the wrench
    options
    under the hood
    uncheck the box next to "Predict network actions to improve page load performance"
    close tab
    you may still have to flush the cache afterwards
    89 EX500 RIP
    06 R6S RIP
    03 R6