Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Min age for passenger

Min age for passenger

Anyone know if there is a minimum age for a passenger? My wife wants to start getting our daughter used to riding with her. She's 6 and just recently picked her up some gear. I tried looking it up, but couldn't find anything except age requirements for helmets. Thanks.

Re: Min age for passenger

I've never done it, but I've heard of kids as young as 4 riding on the back of bikes. 6 seems like a somewhat more reasonable age. I think as an absolute the kid needs FULL GEAR, no questions asked. Jackets, pants, gloves, boots, full face helmet, etc.

Honestly, my son is only 15 months old, and as a Father I couldn't tell you if I'd be comfortable with him riding as a passenger at that age, at least until the time comes. I think as long as the kid can wear the gear, understands to hold on and lean when appropriate, and YOU as the PARENT are comfortable with the risks involved, then I really don't see why not.

Of course, you can always get them a 50 cc dirtbike and teach them to ride that way.
    '12 BMW S 1000 RR
    '11 Suzuki V-Strom DL-650 *SOLD*
    '07 Aprilia RSV R Factory *SOLD*

i take my daughter out frequently . she has her own full gear and she started riding at 10
    -Travis-

The only requirement is that the passenger MUST be able to put both feet on the passenger footrests (state law). Some sort of belt to allow her to hang on easier would be strongly recommended by me.
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

I looked it up last year and there are no requirements in Colorado as far as age. This may have changed so check most recent laws. My daughter started last year at age eight. One warning, young kids have short attention spans and can lose focus of holding on, so be careful.

Thanks for the info guys.. Much appreciated.

Local jerk Yearly Supporter

good thread i was wondering myself now I just have to get past the wife law!

I started riding with my dad when I was 2 on the tank he taught me how to lean and hold on when I was 5 he let me ride on the back. the first time ever we went down from a non visible patch of gravel and I got a hole in my ankle. however it did not detour me from riding it only made me more conciencious of the road and what was on it. I have taken my 2 year old nephew on tank rides around the block slowly. you have to be carefull because when they are small the wind takes their breath away easier.

I've been taking my son on the bike since he was six he is 9 now. I think as soon as they are big enough to hang on properly and to keep their feet on the foot pegs, they should be fine. I've never been stopped for it or had any issues.

Leah
    05 Raven R1
    01 YZ250F

Some of my fondest childhood memories are riding on the back of my grandfather's touring bikes (i.e. Goldwings) and going to Shriner parades. I think this started around age 5.

Yeah Grim, the "wife law" can be tougher than the Geneva Convention sometimes. Good thing for me is the wife rides as well. Not as much lately since we haven't had anyone to watch the kid. That's one main reason she wants her to start riding with us. We also plan to get her a small 50cc bike for christmas so it will be good for her to get used to being on one.

Local jerk Yearly Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by 3D View Post
    Yeah Grim, the "wife law" can be tougher than the Geneva Convention sometimes. Good thing for me is the wife rides as well. Not as much lately since we haven't had anyone to watch the kid. That's one main reason she wants her to start riding with us. We also plan to get her a small 50cc bike for christmas so it will be good for her to get used to being on one.
    I'm in the same boat I'm teaching my wife to ride but it's tough with nobody to watch the little one! in time.....

(formerly "ABATEStateCoord") THoward's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TFOGGuys View Post
    The only requirement is that the passenger MUST be able to put both feet on the passenger footrests (state law). Some sort of belt to allow her to hang on easier would be strongly recommended by me.
    Absolutely correct and they must be seated on a seat that is part of the bike. Just a note of interest: Former Rep Primavera that sponsored the minor's helmet bill that became law, was prompted to do so by 4 of her constituents that saw a dad placing his toddler on the gas tank and going for rides.
    Terry

Where do you find gear that small. I have two nephews and a son that are 2 wheel freaks.
    A good long ride can clear your mind, restore your faith and use up a lot of fuel.
    A good rider has balance, judgment, and good timing. So does a good lover.

Motogear Outlet about 58th and sheridan had gear small enough for my 10 year old daughter. Plus mary is awesome at customer service.
    Whatdja learn?

Quote Originally Posted by Ol'Skool View Post
    Motogear Outlet about 58th and sheridan had gear small enough for my 10 year old daughter. Plus mary is awesome at customer service.
    Sweet. I've been wanting to find some more appropriate gear for my small 12 year-old son. I'll have to check this place out.
    2016 Hyundai Veloster
    2007 SV650...NAKED!
    2007 MINI Cooper (sayonara, you piece of garbage)
    2002 Acura TL Type-S (Sold)
    2003 Triumph Speed Triple...NAKED! (DECEASED)
    2000 Suzuki SV650...NAKED! (DECEASED)
    2004 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Sold)
    ~Kyle

Quote Originally Posted by 3D View Post
    That is the major reason I started taking my son with me too. Kids are portable thankfully, so my justification was two-fold. First, I wanted him to get used to motorcycles early in life to hopefully make him a responsible, educated motorcycle enthusiast in adult hood. Second, I couldn't see any reason why I should need a sitter to watch him when he can just come with me.

A big thumbs up to you and your wife for the experiences you're offering your daughter so early in life.

Leah
    05 Raven R1
    01 YZ250F

Senior Member cptschlongenheimer's Avatar

The only issue I ever had was my youngest son, when he started riding with me @ 8, got scared by how much the bike leaned in a turn and would start squirming around, throwing off my line. A couple times this nearly got us into trouble and I had to tell him he would not be allowed to ride with me unless he could stay still while i was turning. Make sure they know to always look over your inside shoulder while turning.

One thing I did when they were that young was make sure to always wear my backpack while riding with them because it gave them something much easier to grip than trying to hold my waist.
    89 EX500 RIP
    06 R6S RIP
    03 R6

Darth, 3D, Maybe we should put together a 2 up ride to the hotdog place in bailey. Its a scenic, easy enough route. My daughter loves to ride with me but most of the csc rides are at a more "spirited" pace than I want to ride with her on the bike.
    Whatdja learn?

Nobody mentioned it, but it is also CO law that anyone under the age of 18 must wear a helmet, driver or passenger.
    2008 Honda CBR600RR - Graffiti
    2002 Yamaha WR250F

Darth, 3D, Maybe we should put together a 2 up ride to the hotdog place in bailey. Its a scenic, easy enough route. My daughter loves to ride with me but most of the csc rides are at a more "spirited" pace than I want to ride with her on the bike.
    That sounds pretty cool. My son (or daughter) would love that.
    2016 Hyundai Veloster
    2007 SV650...NAKED!
    2007 MINI Cooper (sayonara, you piece of garbage)
    2002 Acura TL Type-S (Sold)
    2003 Triumph Speed Triple...NAKED! (DECEASED)
    2000 Suzuki SV650...NAKED! (DECEASED)
    2004 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Sold)
    ~Kyle

Sounds good to me also.. I've never been there so it will be nice to just chill and enjoy the scenery.

Im going to jump in on the Deckers ride tomorrow. I will post a 2up Coney Island ride later next week.
    Last edited by Ol'Skool; Fri Aug 5th, 2011 at 07:29 PM.
    Whatdja learn?

Both of my kids started riding around the block with me before they were 1. Just put them on the tank in front of me and off we go. My daughter, almost 3, gets mad when she doesn't get the first ride on the dirt bike. My son, just turned 8, rode over 40 miles of OHV and trails between yesterday and today on his CRF50.
    You must be fast, 'cuz I was haulin' ass when I passed you.

Wade
    '01 TL1000S

Another version for TL is "sounds like Thunder - fast like Lightning"
    Imagine it was said by a Hardley rider!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nissn1 View Post
    theres no soul in R1's only r-soles