Thread: Can't give it up... need advice

Can't give it up... need advice

so, even though i'm juiced up on pain pills i decided i can't give up racing. its too fun and i like the people too much...

so, brian @ tk said worst case $2k to fix my bike and if i part it on ebay $1500. i am thinking a 98 is not worth putting another $2k into.. i can squeeze $4k for a new bike and i need advice...

is injection important?
    i am thinking gsxr.. ? comments?

should i part mine and just by another starter bike for under $2500??

looking for advice..

also.. if i buy a bike before race 3 can i race with a broken elbow?

jap
    03 zx6rr (soon to be race)
    MRA#533 novice

I would go FI at least, so you're looking at an 01 or higher. Actually the cost won't be too bad (shop around) since those aren't good for Suzuki money any more.

Quote Originally Posted by rforsythe";p="208428
    I would go FI at least, so you're looking at an 01 or higher. Actually the cost won't be too bad (shop around) since those aren't good for Suzuki money any more.
    why? more reliable? faster????
    MRA#533 novice

A bit more power, easy to tune, plus an updated motor. Frame geometry was also updated in 01 specifically with racing in mind.

My guess is you can find a race prepped one pretty cheap, and if you part out your SRAD you might even come out spending less than if you just fixed the bike you have now.

Re: Can't give it up... need advice

hi joe,
    im sorry this happened if i were you and at the rate you are progressing i would part the bike and get a 01 or newer FI bike,because it is more reliable, more power, it is also much eaiser to start on a cold morning i would reccomend GSXR because there is so many parts for them and you can pick one up for a good deal. thats my advice for what it is worth.

phillip
    mra 432
    you see MRA 432? you are getting passed by a 13 year old(thats me)

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin
    Newton

Quote Originally Posted by rforsythe";p="208432
    A bit more power, easy to tune, plus an updated motor. Frame geometry was also updated in 01 specifically with racing in mind.

My guess is you can find a race prepped one pretty cheap, and if you part out your SRAD you might even come out spending less than if you just fixed the bike you have now.
    Any idea where to look besides wera and ebay?
    MRA#533 novice

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin
    wera, cmra, mra www.superbikeplanet.com, ebay I guess
    Newton

I like your spirit, it'd be too easy to quit now.

The few times I've been close to you on a straight, I think I was faster than you with my carbed R6. You're good enough to need a faster bike, so if I was in your boots, I'd find me an injected whatever. I'm impatient when I sell stuff, so I'd rather dump the whole pile at once, if possible, then drag it out by parting it, but that's just me.

Joe #859

Fuel injection is really nice and all, but I have no probs with the carbed (jetted) R6, and I know it is faster that I am. I would be looking more into suspension, baseline and upgrades, I think any of the 600's either properly jetted or mapped is going to be plenty (even an F4i ) of motor, the hard part is getting the whole package to go roundy round.

Quote Originally Posted by green12";p="208449
    I like your spirit, it'd be too easy to quit now.

The few times I've been close to you on a straight, I think I was faster than you with my carbed R6. You're good enough to need a faster bike, so if I was in your boots, I'd find me an injected whatever. I'm impatient when I sell stuff, so I'd rather dump the whole pile at once, if possible, then drag it out by parting it, but that's just me.

Joe #859
    thanks joe... man, straight away speed is so dependant on exit speed as you know... also gearing.... so much plays into this...

i can't rememer.. you are on a r6?

one thing i didn;t like on my bike that i wonder if fi will fix... is getting to steady state on the throttle mid corner was very hard on the 98... it was real jerky... can someone tell me if fi fixes this?

joe
    MRA#533 novice

What Bueller said is true, the whole package is the deal. My R6 is real smooth, motor-wise, and the suspension is tits. At least, my extremely limited experience tells me the bike is much, much better than I am, and I'm sure there are better setups out there, but I wouldn't (couldn't) appreciate them. Maybe I should have said, a later model bike would be nice because of the refinements, like fi, geometry, etc. From what I've been told, most factory suspension is only adequate so aftermarket is essential, no matter what bike you get.

My zx12r is injected, of course, and throttle response is terribly jerky. I have a power commander in hand, TK, here I come.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by green12";p="208457
    What Bueller said is true, the whole package is the deal. My R6 is real smooth, motor-wise, and the suspension is tits. At least, my extremely limited experience tells me the bike is much, much better than I am, and I'm sure there are better setups out there, but I wouldn't (couldn't) appreciate them. Maybe I should have said, a later model bike would be nice because of the refinements, like fi, geometry, etc. From what I've been told, most factory suspension is only adequate so aftermarket is essential, no matter what bike you get.

My zx12r is injected, of course, and throttle response is terribly jerky. I have a power commander in hand, TK, here I come.

Joe
    thanks, yeah i wouldn't think of using stock shocks... well i have feelers out and doing my hours of research i always do...
    MRA#533 novice

now with bi-turbo goodness Site Admin Mel's Avatar
    FI gixxer will be a little faster on the throttle response coming off a corner but not necessarily smoother than the carb, but carb is more easily tuneable to the lay person. To tune and re-map injection, you will need to buy computer chips and/or go to someone who can re-program. To tune carbs, you get different air box and filter, different needles for the carbs and set it all up. Just depends how much motor stuff you are planning to do, or if you are doing mostly suspension.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

IMO Part out your GSXR and get a race prepped 600RR.
    I love mine! Suspension is great, injected, solid frame,and lots of power.
    Check out www.600rr.net.
    '01 SV 650 S
    '08 Gary Fisher mtn. bike
    '69 Austin Healey Sprite
    '92 GTI

Quote Originally Posted by Buddau";p="208509
    Check out www.600rr.net.
    thanks rich... i will look
    MRA#533 novice

Honduh sucks! don't get one

Quote Originally Posted by Buddau";p="208509
    Check out www.600rr.net.
    a bit too rich for my blood rich
    MRA#533 novice

Quote Originally Posted by purpgixxerchic";p="208498
    FI gixxer will be a little faster on the throttle response coming off a corner but not necessarily smoother than the carb, but carb is more easily tuneable to the lay person. To tune and re-map injection, you will need to buy computer chips and/or go to someone who can re-program. To tune carbs, you get different air box and filter, different needles for the carbs and set it all up. Just depends how much motor stuff you are planning to do, or if you are doing mostly suspension.
    i was talking off throttle to steady state mid corner, not exit.
    MRA#533 novice

I'll get you for that Bueller!
    '01 SV 650 S
    '08 Gary Fisher mtn. bike
    '69 Austin Healey Sprite
    '92 GTI