Thread: How Safe is Japan for MotoGP ?

How Safe is Japan for MotoGP ?

Just finished watching the pre-event Press conference from Bruno with Karel, Jorge, Casey, Valentino and Alvaro in attendance. It seems some of them had decided earlier not to participate in the Japanese Grand Prix this October. When asked what their current decisions were, they seemed to be undecided, at least for now.

Also found the article below which argues a case for the riders to participate.

http://plus.autosport.com/free/featu...o-go-to-japan/

What y'all think ???

Discuss !!

P.S. In case you have been living under a rock, Japan suffered an earthquake which resulted in elevated levels of radiation...at least in the weeks following this unfortunate event.

Re: How Safe is Japan for MotoGP ?

Thanks to a FB post from CM:

The study

Well, if Jorge isn't going I'll gladly take his seat on the Yamaha.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

inb4C_M ridiculousness

Jorge can stay home and suck himself.

After all that's happened Japan needs this to show that they're making their way out of the aftermath. Any rider too pussy to show up and race doesn't deserve any amount of sympathy.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

You have to wonder if Japan would be so ready to throw sponsor money at the EU teams and riders after this. It's kind of a slap in the face to the Japanese manufacturers.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Quote Originally Posted by OUTLAWD View Post
    inb4C_M ridiculousness
    Hahaha! Yeah, but his .pdf is informative.

didn't read it...I try to live in a little bubble that only revolves around me...

Basically, a radiation report. Conclusion is Motegi has less radiation than Rome or Madrid IIRC.

im going so they better be too!

Its Brno, not Bruno.

If they're worried then they should just pack in their food and water. I chuckled when I heard Nicky say, "we don't understand much about this radiation!" Or his Ducati's handling, apparently...
    Free your mind!

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Jorge can stay home and suck himself.

After all that's happened Japan needs this to show that they're making their way out of the aftermath. Any rider too pussy to show up and race doesn't deserve any amount of sympathy.
    You're kidding, right?
    Fukushima Daiichi plant was upgraded to a 7 out of 7, (Major Accident). 3 reactor meltdowns with the anticipation of up to 20 years to find/contain the materials!
    This slow moving Chernobyl has been down played to the sheeple just as the Gulf oil spill!
    In the beginning of this month, NHK reported how a TEPCO worker found 700 tons of highly radioactive water in the basement of a facility building.
    Fukushima has not been contained and continues to poison our planet.
    Swallow the "everything's under control" buffet if you want, but I will be picky.
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptGoodvibes View Post
    Basically, a radiation report. Conclusion is Motegi has less radiation than Rome or Madrid IIRC.
    The wind blows, rain pours and ocean currants shift all the time. Expecting this radiation report to settle nerves is just ludicrous. However, I'm not a nucular expert, and I can read the increase radiation levels on the west coast, since the Fukushima disaster occurred, to realize the magnitude of the situation.
    It works! Slow in, Fast out
    "Sarcasm is difficult to convey on the internet, especially if the people reading it don't know you personally". By Spiderman
    Neither irony nor sarcasm is argument. By Rufus Choate
    Be smart, be nice, do what'cha love and always have fun.
    Let food be your medicine, and medicine be your food. - Hippocrates
    I will use treatment to help the sick. I will never use it to injure them or wrong them. I will not give poison to anyone. - The Hippocratic Oath

Quote Originally Posted by dapper View Post
    The wind blows, rain pours and ocean currants shift all the time. Expecting this radiation report to settle nerves is just ludicrous. However, I'm not a nucular expert, and I can read the increase radiation levels on the west coast, since the Fukushima disaster occurred, to realize the magnitude of the situation.
    "nuclear"

Well, the report was written by experts...

"nuclear"

Well, the report was written by experts...
    Good to see someone has reading comprehension. I was wondering if -anyone- would catch it.

Too many experts have been paid to tell a story.
    The testing was done quite awhile ago now. If the wind shifts toward the track, this report was only good for the day of the test.
    "Sarcasm is difficult to convey on the internet, especially if the people reading it don't know you personally". By Spiderman
    I will use treatment to help the sick. I will never use it to injure them or wrong them. I will not give poison to anyone. - The Hippocratic Oath

Good to see someone has reading comprehension. I was wondering if -anyone- would catch it.

The testing was done quite awhile ago now. If the wind shifts toward the track, this report was only good for the day of the test.
    I don't think you read the report. The testing - which concluded 21 days ago - was over a two week period and included sampling of vegetation as well as air and meat. Radiation is less than Rome or Madrid. The experts are from Italy so they cannot be as biased as a Japanese company would.

What is your expertise if I might ask?

You sound a bit paranoid. It's obvious to me none of your statements are based on facts, just hysteria.

There are not "clouds of radiation" spewing from the plant to be blown on the wind. That's just SciFi bullshit. The fact is there are pockets of high radiation at the plants, but that material is not going anywhere.

And I do know what I'm talking about. I've been in the nuclear business for almost 30 years. My statements are based on science and the facts about the event that I receive daily.

Bottom-line, Motegi is safe no matter which direction the wind blows. However, if you don't want to believe the facts just stay out of Japan - just like Casey Stoner.
    2005 Yamaha YZF-R6 (SOLD)
    2013 Yamaha FZ6R
    Stupidity should be painful.

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

I wonder how many of the riders decline to have CT scans or MRI's taken of known injuries because they fear additional radiation exposure?

Is the accident bad? Yes, but to say that "Japan is dangerous because it happend" is like saying "the United States is dangerous because Mt. St. Helens erupted"

I think the riders should go and race. If they're concerned about food and water they should fly it in with the rest of the equipment. There is no reason not to go in my opinion, and if given the chance I would go without hesitation.

Experts from around the world have confirmed that the danger or a large radiation exposure at Motegi is small, if not non-existent. The riders should get on their bikes and go to work.

Due to life outside of forums, I do not log-in as often as some others. Sorry for the delayed response.
    I don't think you read the report. The testing - which concluded 21 days ago - was over a two week period and included sampling of vegetation as well as air and meat. Radiation is less than Rome or Madrid. The experts are from Italy so they cannot be as biased as a Japanese company would.

What is your expertise if I might ask?
    I went through the report.
    I really wish the scientists did baseline testing prior to the nuclear era. Testing the soil, air and water in multiple areas before and after would assist on the true understanding for the baseline.
    Prevailing winds help a lot of Japan, however, time will tell. (See References below)
    I did not say that these 'experts' were paid. Just that many experts have been paid in the past.

The expertise lies in more than one field.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Vess View Post
    You sound a bit paranoid. It's obvious to me none of your statements are based on facts, just hysteria.

There are not "clouds of radiation" spewing from the plant to be blown on the wind. That's just SciFi bullshit. The fact is there are pockets of high radiation at the plants, but that material is not going anywhere.

And I do know what I'm talking about. I've been in the nuclear business for almost 30 years. My statements are based on science and the facts about the event that I receive daily.

Bottom-line, Motegi is safe no matter which direction the wind blows. However, if you don't want to believe the facts just stay out of Japan - just like Casey Stoner.
    Thank you for sharing! I use more than one rag for information. Maybe it's time to become more objective with the sources that you're receiving daily.
    I only have free TV. SciFi is a channel with a fee.
    I will include multiple references to this related issue.
    Some people don't understand why some of their white clothes come out pink and they've been washing clothes for over 30 years too.
    Quote Originally Posted by rybo View Post
    I wonder how many of the riders decline to have CT scans or MRI's taken of known injuries because they fear additional radiation exposure?

Is the accident bad? Yes, but to say that "Japan is dangerous because it happend" is like saying "the United States is dangerous because Mt. St. Helens erupted"
    Risks vs Benefits, dear Watson...
    CT scans have a different level of radiation than MRI's. Doctors who monitor their patients with radiation do and have decided against additional radiation due to safety of the whole person.
    Comparing multiple nuclear meltdowns to a natural volcano is not an analogy. (Retry?)
    Are the dangers low at the track? The report tells us it's low.
    Can people import food and water into another country? I tried to bring an apple into the US and it was not allowed in 1999.

References:
    TEPCO to directly pour water to No.3 reactor fuel (At what point does the 7 tons of water avoid changing to or considered highly radioactive steam? What temperature does concrete melt? Where is the water table? Wouldn't water with Boron be better?
    144 days of radioactive particle's into the air, sea and ground. Hot air rises, right, mister butter-knife?)
    Govt compiles Fukushima decontamination plan (Why would someone have a debate on decontamination unless there were contamination issues?)
    186,000 bq/kg of radioactive cesium found 100 km from Fukushima plant (Here's a example of how things can change one's outlook. Which direction does the prevailing winds travel?)
    Video link & This is a direct quote from NHK News, the leading Japanese news agency.
    "Chairman of the Atomic Energy Commission, Shunsuke Kondo, called on the members to begin middle and long-term efforts to shut down the plant.

The panel will draw up a timetable using as a reference the accident at Three Mile Island in 1979. The first goal is to extract the melted fuel rods.

But the situation is more serious at Fukushima, because no one knows where the melted fuel is, and in what condition. Additionally, meltdowns have occurred at 3 reactors at Fukushima.

Kyoto University Professor Hajimu Yamana, who heads the panel, said he expects a longer preparation time in order to extract the melted fuel, because the reactor cores at Fukushima are more badly damaged than Three Mile Island was. He suggests the process could take as long as 20 years.
    Thursday, August 04, 2011 11:05 +0900 (JST)"
    Radioactivity of Japan (Select English, and some of the history can be viewed.)
    New case of cattle fed radioactive hay confirmed (Didn't someone say this stuff did not get into the air? My bad! Back to reading whitewashing rags and believing that it's all under control.)
    Japan's irradiated waters: How worried should we be? (I will not worry or be paranoid, however, I will use caution.)
    Japanese Nuclear Emergency: EPA's Radiation Monitoring (Part of the EPA's public status.)
    Radioactive Iodine and Cesium in Sea Water Detected (Pumping huge quantities of sea water into the buildings will eventually find it's way out.)
    No Danger No Concern No Sanity (What would Cary Grant say? )
    CDC on Plutonium-239/240 (Why would 'We The People' want to know about this?)
    MMRS Manual (Time is the critical element with radiation.)
    Tepco Reports Second Deadly Radiation Reading at Fukushima
    (The equipment can only register to it's maximum limit. So, the limit can be higher. Lots of estimates of levels have been given in the past, from experts and scientists.)
    Environmental radiation levels across the USA

I'm feeling warm and fuzzy. Oh, that's my dog, next to my leg.
    Last edited by dapper; Wed Aug 24th, 2011 at 08:11 PM. Reason: link added