Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lock up front tire? How common?

Now that everyone got their junior high flashback out of the way, please tone it down and play nice or the thread gets locked. If you're unsure why this is, go read the forum rules, specifically those pertaining to etiquette.

Re: Lock up front tire? How common?

Quote Originally Posted by rforsythe";p="209217
    Quote Originally Posted by RAGrote";p="209213
    Consider yourself luck.
    Don't follow so fucking close. Your riding is writing checks that your skills aren't prepared to cash.
    This Top Gun moment brought to you by RAGrote...
    I would definetly recomend getting rid of the 220s you have on there, from what I heard both the Pilot Power Steet and the Dunlop 218 are very good tires. However Ralph had a smoking deal on the Powers for a while.
    Gene Bazyl
    MRA, ASMA #502
    AMA SS & FX #503

Quote Originally Posted by ebazyl";p="209317
    I would definetly recomend getting rid of the 220s you have on there, from what I heard both the Pilot Power Steet and the Dunlop 218 are very good tires. However Ralph had a smoking deal on the Powers for a while.
    No thanks, I'm keeping those. I'm not dropping $270-$300 on tires every 3 weeks this summer.
    2001 Porsche 911 Turbo
    2006 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S
    2011 Ducati Diavel Carbon

I still have two sets of the Powers for sale, available at my super special price. They won't last quite as long as a full sport-touring tire, but you also never have to wonder if they're gonna stick or not. I did get 5k miles out of a set of Pilots last year (the old model) so you can make them last, if you mind your pressure. That included some track thrashing, and was on a liter twin. I don't know about longevity on the new model (Pilot Power) since I only use them on the track, but my guess is they would be as good or better.

Quote Originally Posted by RAGrote";p="209213
    Consider yourself luck.
    Don't follow so fucking close. Your riding is writing checks that your skills aren't prepared to cash.
    03 zx6rr (soon to be race)
    MRA#533 novice

Quote Originally Posted by ImolaFem";p="209321
    Quote Originally Posted by ebazyl";p="209317
    No thanks, I'm keeping those. I'm not dropping $270-$300 on tires every 3 weeks this summer.
    Just a recommendation..
    Gene Bazyl
    MRA, ASMA #502
    AMA SS & FX #503

Quote Originally Posted by ImolaFem";p="209249
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiderman";p="209212
    It's quite possible that, since you were in a panic situation, you didn't get off the gas (& let the front end settle) before grabbing the handful of front brake. This lightness (of the front end) could've caused the squealing until the forks compressed & the rubber heated up enough to grab & lock the wheel. Just a thought.
    That's possible, but I don't think that happened because the squealing occured until I got off the brake which would cause the weight to settle back to the rear. I think its just the grippiness of these tires vs what was on the bike before so I'll need to practice insanely fast stops like Jeff to get used to it.

Hell, I'll just start stunting so a stoppie is no big deal :P
    Not saying it didn't happen, but I'm surprised that it was squealing AND causing you to stoppie at the same time. The two seem to contradict each other, even though I know for a fact that a front tire can be locked-up and sliding (don't recalll any squealing, though) with the rear wheel in the air - had a racer come flying by me with smoke pouring off the (locked) front tire and ass-end in the air.

BTW, glad you're okay.

no no... WE find ourselves in tight spots... he's made it clear in previous posts that he's never, not even once, had an accident of ANY kind on a bike... and i'd assume that includes any dirt bikes he's ridden and parking lot drops and the like... he's obviously at a higher state of perfection than us mortals. quote from Mista Black.....

Now that everyone got their junior high flashback out of the way, please tone it down and play nice or the thread gets locked. If you're unsure why this is, go read the forum rules, specifically those pertaining to etiquette. to quote Ralph...ya kill me man

i hate to admit it, but outside of being very embarrased for RA, and feeling guilty for laughing, this thread made me laugh just hard enough to make up for my crummy day at work.....thanks to all (except RA...please think before you write next time).

how about this instead...."sorry to hear about your close call imola, i was just thinking that maybe you should consider how close you may have been following the car in front of you......." might have been better recieved.

now with bi-turbo goodness Site Admin Mel's Avatar
    Ahh yes, the wonders of a tank slapper (or almost). No matter who you are, where you are, you will have a close call. Whether it be noticing someone to your side and not front, or whether it be the slow moving vehicle that gets in front of you when you have no where to go. It will happen, and with more experience you will be better equipped to handle the situation without that heart jumping think you are gonna pass out afterwards feeling. Experience just helps you deal with those moments, it can not help you avoid the assholes out there. You will probably also, with time and after things like this, learn to keep your eyes focused on two sets of events at once, and learn to really anticipate what cars will do (I drive my mom nuts in the car by pointing out when someone is about to do something stupid).
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Who said anything about a tank slapper?

Just wondering where that came from...

I said almost! stop making me think! How bout you tell us your skidding down I-25 stories!

And it was an almost tank slapper...she said front locked, back off the ground and sliding to the right...that might have been the beginnings of a tank slapper.

Now stop being crabby and go, go...ummm....do whatever you do with yourself.

Except that tank slappers are generally caused by the front end lightening, as opposed to a massive frontal weight transfer with rear levitation (aka "stoppie").

Oh, quit being technical on me! Talking all lightening and levitation and sh*t. Geeze, think you were some kind of expert or something!

No, I've just had tank slappers and accidental stoppies (while sliding down the interstate, coincidentally).

Leroy Brown

Quote Originally Posted by trackaddict";p="209410
    no no... WE find ourselves in tight spots... he's made it clear in previous posts that he's never, not even once, had an accident of ANY kind on a bike... :
    Misquote noted.

Never said that.

Leroy Brown
    SSSSSCCCCHPLAT!!!!

Leroy Brown
    Kablaamo!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RAGrote";p="209441
    Too many friends, too many deaths does that to you. Sorry if you all took it the wrong way.
    RA, you should really let go of your anger.. look man I personally have had a good friend pass away (wearing full gear, leathers, etc.). I also have a cousin who severed his leg on a motorcycle accident (once again full gear). But that will not stop me from getting on a bike, we are all knowledgeable of the risk that comes with riding. I’m sure that 95% of the CSC members are smart about riding so you don’t have to keep reminding us about your troubled life… OK, OK we feel sorry for you, now get that chip off your shoulder.

RA, I see you feel very concerned and want to educate all riders, so why don’t you put up a bill board, buy some air time on the local TV channels, better yet spend time at the DMV and inform new riders about your concerns. Just be tactful man

BTW: what do type of bike do you ride? It would be very interesting to meet you, how old did you say you are, and how long you been riding? You seem to have so much knowledge maybe you should write a book or become a motorcycle safety course instructor.

---Imola, I think your new tires have a lot to do with it, you might just have to get used to the harder compound. Personally I would prefer to have traction and spend the extra money on tires than have an accident… Then again lots of cruisers then to ride on hard compound tires, so I guess it will just take some time to adjust...

traction smaction... i run 220s and have little trouble staying with riders running 208s/218, m-1's, dragons, pilots, etc. they are plenty sticky for road use (even really hard road use).... and i keep them at 42 rear, 40 front (PSI).

i agree with what was said above about sliding: if you're not then they're sticky enough. i'd rather have the milage and occasionally drift a little in a sweeper.
    Jeff Black
    Littleton, CO

Currently bikeless, but will be BMW shopping again come springtime.

Leroy Brown
    Poof....

BTW,
    ImolaFem... I'm REALLY glad you got through this. I'm sure you've learned a bunch from it.
    The 220's are a fine tire. 90% of the people on this list couldn't take them to their limit. That puts you in some rare company.
    Be safe, be smart and live long to be an old smart ass.

This next postVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV is the best one yet.

A short paraphrase/summary:

Braking- Way too abrubt & too hard = no squeal and bike goes down. This is when you know you've really locked the front up. Slightly less abrupt and firm enough = stoppie. Squealing will happen, but you're not really locked up. Well done! This shows a decent amount of panic control and skill on its own. Too little squeeze, too late = an excuse to find an escape or a bumper.

Following- No one consciously counts seconds between bumper & fron tire as they are riding, but it will become second nature eventually. I find it best to not fixate on the vehicle immediately ahead and try to see at least 2-3 ahead in the same lane. "Surprise Brake Parties" are easier to cope with when you have this many points of reference that you're taking into account. Escape routes are handy, but police might see you swapping 3rds of a lane looking for one and decide that you're being too aggressive. The size of your bike might also be a factor on this one.

Compassion- There are many of us that are used to "tough love" and respond to the shock & awe of a good jab. Still others may require a gentle coaxing-in before the backhand. Some are ready for the CQA after an incident while others truly are looking for commiseration. It's hard to always guess correctly how someone will react to free advice on this forum and how many will display the "pack mentality" once first blood is drawn. This is why everyone should use the ignore function on me!

[quote="RAGrote";p="209495"]And Desmo... take your pity and shove if up your ass... That's the kind of sh!t I'm talking about. Somebody opens up and shows a bit of themself and you come off with that SH!T - f*ck you!
    quote]

Come on now sweetheart, was that really necessary? For a man who is so perfect and follows all the rules you should don’t follow the rules of this forum.. I’m sure it will be locked down in a few minuets ..
    ---just wanted to say thanks for the laugh… nice to see your true colors and the name calling was really cute and mature for a man your age…

BTW thanks for your 20 years of service.. must have been before they started teaching respect … like I learned when I was in.

Once again thanks for the Laugh...

Quote Originally Posted by PharmerKyle";p="209497
    This is why everyone should use the ignore function on me!
    what the?? damn i thought i already had you ignored...
    Jeff Black
    Littleton, CO

Currently bikeless, but will be BMW shopping again come springtime.

Desmo & RAGrote,

I think the original issue (with RAGrote's first post in this thread) has been resolved & there's no need to beat a dead horse (or argue the fact that you both have drastically different ways of dealing with people). If you wish to continue your conversion in this fashion, please take it to PM.