Thread: First service on new bike.

Senior Member Yearly Supporter Nooch's Avatar

First service on new bike.

I picked up a brand new R6 with 0 miles a week ago (it was a glorious day indeed!). My first service is due at 600 miles and so far I think Ive done really well on breaking the engine in. I got a maintenance plan with Colorado Powersports (Thornton) so thats where I will be taking the bike for service. Unfortunately, due to my work schedule, the only day I will ever have time to get service done is Saturdays. My bike is at 400 miles right now and I know it wont be near 600 before tomorrow, so my question is, would it be better to get my first service done a little before 600 miles or a little after? Im actually somewhat concerned about whether I should cut my riding to just work commutes next week so that the mileage is still near 600 mi come next Saturday (or try and put ~200 miles on it tonight for service tomorrow lol). Opinions?

DIS-MEMBERED
    (Banned)

Re: First service on new bike.

08 r6 didn't hit shop tell 900. Was no big

Don't be concerned. Your motor is already broke in
    Motorcycle Roadracing Association #29
    President

MSF
    Rider Coach

Don't be overly concerned about that stuff. As someone else on here said to me when I asked about my 600mi service: "Your bike is brand new, it doesn't need service yet". I just changed the oil for good measure and moved on. Saved myself $300
    2008 Honda CBR600RR - Graffiti
    2002 Yamaha WR250F

DIS-MEMBERED
    (Banned)

That's true just looked in my tech book it's just oil change check air filter throttle play and chain slack

"First service" is a stealership scam. Change oil/filter, check bolts, cables, chain tension, etc. and save yourself time and $.
    "That which does not kill you only postpones the inevitable."

1998 VFR800 Interceptor - resurrected and custom tail http://vfrworld.com/forums/5th-gener...98-vfr800.html

1999 DR650SE

I wasnt concerned about the cost, none of my service for the next few years will cost me anything out of pocket, its all covered in my financing. Just wanted to make sure I wouldnt be hurting the bike by going past 600 miles before first service. This is the first time Ive been a first owner on a sportbike so I want to make sure all my bases are covered. Thanks for all the advice gang!

if the wheel falls off at 625miles because the factory didn't get them torqued right, you can't blame anyone but yourself.

As long as every is ok, the bike will be fine. If there's a problem, the 600mile service is an opportunity for the dealer to catch any problems before they become a problem.

Last edited by TinkerinWstuff; Fri Aug 26th, 2011 at 02:46 PM.
    1998 VFR800 Interceptor - resurrected and custom tail http://vfrworld.com/forums/5th-gener...98-vfr800.html

1999 DR650SE

Take it in. (It might look good in the eyes of the future second owner) .....

I do intend to take it in. My question was more WHEN I should take it in, tomorrow before it hits 600 or next Saturday when it will likely be past 600 miles. I put 400 mi on it in 6 days so I imagine 1 more week will see another 300-400 miles on the odometer. (Im kind of an addict...) I was considering going for the ride on Sunday posted here - - > http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forum...ad.php?t=42092 which is projected to be 300 miles or so. Thats really what made me think about the timing of the first service.

Seriously, you're putting way too much thought into this... relax, go ride the fuck out of that bike, and get the service when you can. Don't worry about going over by 100, 500 or even 1000 miles. The bike will be fine unless you are racing it (beating it up)
    2008 Honda CBR600RR - Graffiti
    2002 Yamaha WR250F

I'd take it in before going on that 300 mile ride, but if you're staying around town I wouldn't worry too much about it. While I'm sure it's very rare that anything would happen, it would suck if you got the one bike that wasn't perfect from the factory and were stranded 150 miles out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Seriously, you're putting way too much thought into this... relax, go ride the fuck out of that bike, and get the service when you can. Don't worry about going over by 100, 500 or even 1000 miles. The bike will be fine unless you are racing it (beating it up)
    Whurd.

Or just change the oil yourself. You do want to change the oil to flush out the little metal shavings that accumulate during the break in period. Besides that check your chain slack (instructions are in your manual for both). You will need a rear stand.

And that's really it. After the first oil change, have a lot of fun.

Jeez, nobody volunteered to take the bike in for him?