Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ride Report: 6600 Miles in 22 days

Ride Report: 6600 Miles in 22 days

So a little history behind this ride. Three years ago, prior to starting my EMBA, I worked it out with my employer that I wanted a month off after it was over. I made the same arrangement with my wife to make sure all the bases were covered. Fast forward to this summer and August was selected to be the month of choice for an epic solo moto adventure.

The ride: The route was selected based on my own personal desire to see the west coast on two wheels because previous trips in a car just didn’t cut it. I also wanted to go through Yosemite and other national parks that I had gone through as a kid. I planned the route over a two-year period, taking notes of the roads and places I wanted to go. However, I did not put it all together until the week before I left. I wanted to enjoy the ride. If I wanted to blast a good section I would, then relax and just enjoy being out on two wheels, this made riding solo a lot of fun. In summary, it was 6600 miles in 18 days of riding over a 22-day span.

I know there is probably a skeptic or two on doing a ride like this on a sport bike but in my dreams of this trip, I saw it being done on a sport bike. And in hindsight, I had a lot of fun on some great roads and a sport bike was the preferred tool of choice. Secondly, I found the BMW to be surprisingly comfortable both on long trips I had done prior to this and on this trip. My only pain point was in my shoulders after long ride days.
    There are a few motorcycle related pics below but for 150 keep photos here is the link: http://s64.photobucket.com/albums/h195/joew4505/2011%20Moto%20Tour/

Questions always seem to come up about what to pack and how to pack it. For those of you interested here is my supply list:

Tank Bank:
    Screen cleaner with cloth
    Tire gauge
    Hat
    Radar with H.A.R.D. system
    Chain cleaner
    Sun Glasses
    Phone
    Camera
    Gum
    Power Bar

Tail Bag:
    IPAD
    Long sleeve compression shirts x3
    Padded bike shorts x3
    Socks x3
    Jeans x1
    Shorts x1
    Bathing suit x1
    T-shirt x2
    Flip Flops
    Zip ties
    Pliers
    Socket set
    Tire Repair kit
    Chargers
    Electrical Tape

Notable Locations:
    · Yosemite – Amazing national park and by far the best I have ever been to
    · Sonora – Nice little town with some great roads around it
    · Big Sur area – This is notable because I didn’t think it was all that great. A lot of construction and a lot of traffic even during the week
    · Alices restaurant – This place is awesome! The bikes and cars that come through here is a sight to see. Luckily, I was there during the week so traffic was light
    · Crater Lake – Also a sight to see. I have never seen water that blue.
    · OR/WA coast – By far the better coastal experience. The views are incredible and the road was in great shape.

Notable Roads:
    · HWY 9 and Skyline Drive – This area south of San Fran kept me entertained for two days. Alices is one of the attractions but the roads are in great shape and are nice and twisty.
    · HWY 36 and HWY 3 between Fortuna and Red Bluff – There is a pic below of twisty roads the next 140 miles. If you loop in HWY 3 its twisty roads for over 200 miles. This road destroyed my tires but damn it was fun.
    · HWY 1 west of Leggett – HWY 1 actually ends at this point and were it turns inland its 22 miles of great twisties.
    · HWY 101 between Lakeside and Astoria – Amazing views and nice twisty roads
    · HWY 120 between Moccasin and Groveland – Only about 15 miles but perfect pavement and crazy elevation change.
    · Sonora Pass – A lot of dips and rises along with twisty sections and good pavement.

Notable comments:
    · Both choice hotels and best western had stay two nights get a night free. These places also had washers and dryers since I was on a 4 day rotation. Motel6 was also surprisingly nice the times I stayed there.
    · The IPAD actually worked out ok for what I was doing with it. I could load pics from my camera onto it and then push them to facebook. I opted for the 3G plan before I left so I was always able to surf. Note that I did not have a GPS, so I used the IPAD the night before to plan my route for the next day and used my phone to verify my position when needed.
    · The radar detector and H.A.R.D system payed for itself 10 times over. I took gross liberty with the speed limit and I never even got pulled over (knock on wood going forward).
    · Fuel between Ash Springs and Tonopah tested my nerves. Its 154 miles between gas stops and my fuel light came on 5 miles outside of town. Couple this with their isn’t anything out there including other cars. If something happens it could be devastating.
    · I rode for four days with PASHNIT Tour’s north of San Fran on his Northern CA tour. I met some great guys and it was good to have some company for a few days. If you haven’t checked out that site it’s worth a look. There is a wealth of information on there and the tour was great. www.pashnit.com
    · My wife flew out and met me in Seattle around day 16. It was nice because I was approaching 5K miles so a break from the bike was nice. Plus I really needed to get laid. We spent two days there and two days in Vancouver. Both are great cities and we had a lot of fun being tourists. One morning we went to Whistler/Blackcomb to ride the peak to peak gondola. It did not disappoint and I am going to make it my priority to ski there on day.

In summary, I would say it was an amazing trip. Riding solo for that distance and time is a completely different riding experience. You have to know your limits when you want to push it because their isn’t anyone to help you. You also need to make sure your equipment is top notch. Its not the time to be cheap on repairs or gear. You also have to be willing to throw it all away. If something would have happened, from an accident to a mechanical failure, I was prepared to call AAA and call the trip over. Would I do it again; Hell yes! Every few years I plan to work in another really long trip and I would encourage anyone who loves to ride to do so as well.
    Last edited by Matrix; Sun Aug 28th, 2011 at 12:37 PM.
    Owner and General Manager - Fun Center Cycles in Durango, CO

11 BMW S1000RR - Street - Lady on the street
    13 Kawi ZX6R - Track - Freak in the bed
    13 Triumph Daytona 675R - Wifes bike

2014 MRA 400 Production Class Champion

Re: Ride Report: 6600 Miles in 22 days

Route Part 1(Note that it doesnt include all the riding I did around Alices or the trip to Mt. Hamilton, mines road and others):http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=De...=ls&via=15&z=9

Route Part 2: http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Se...c=6&mra=ls&z=8

Route Part 3:
    http://g.co/maps/kp73

Last edited by Matrix; Sun Aug 28th, 2011 at 12:17 PM.

Some of you may remember these guys.

This is awesome! Thanks for sharing.
    1996 BMW R1100GS
    2002 Ducati Monster 750i.e.

Nice pics!! Omg the bugs?!

WOW! sweet ride report. Looks like John and Nat are doing well. Love the bike!
    To those dead souls inching along the freeways in their metal coffins,... ..we show them that the human spirit is still alive

Hyper 1100
    KTM 450 XCW

Thanks for sharing. I have hopes of making a similar trip.
    Its not how fast you go, its how little you slow down.

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Pure awesomeness. I want to do similar rides myself.
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Great trip and nice pics.

I was fortunate enough to do yellowstone, yosemite, and PCH this summer as well (in two different trips).

Looks like an amazing ride!
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

Hell yeah, Joe! Looks like a really good trip, I'm sure you needed it. Just one question, were the flip flops in your tail bag for when you wanted to cruise the strip and pick up some bitches?

What about a review of the bike? Besides it gets sexier every time you look at it. How did it hold up for sport-touring? Any issues? strengths?

What tires did you use? Did you change them out midway, or at least the rear?

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Hell yeah, Joe! Looks like a really good trip, I'm sure you needed it. Just one question, were the flip flops in your tail bag for when you wanted to cruise the strip and pick up some bitches?

What about a review of the bike? Besides it gets sexier every time you look at it. How did it hold up for sport-touring? Any issues? strengths?
    Thats exactly what the flip flops were for! haha

Bike held up great and performed better than expected. I actually called my wife once I hit sea level and complained about it. It was all I could do to keep the front wheel down with all the extra HP's (as I smiled ear to ear). It really made a difference. I have a completly new appreciation for CC's at different elevations.

It pains me a little but I should also give some props to BMW for the tail and tank bag. Both worked great and its amazing the amount of shit you can fit in those bags. I was even able to bungee my leather pants to the rear bag on days I wanted to use my jeans (about three times).
    Last edited by Matrix; Sun Aug 28th, 2011 at 09:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Clovis View Post
    What tires did you use? Did you change them out midway, or at least the rear?
    My tire selection was a little random but it worked out much better then I expected. I went with the Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa which are a street and track day tire. However, they are dual compound so the highway mileage didn't seem to take away from the performance side when needed. I changed a rear after 3500 miles but it had plenty of life left. I only changed it when I did because it worked well in my schedule. The front made it the entire trip and still looked good when I got home. I can't speak highly enough about these tires.
    Last edited by Matrix; Sun Aug 28th, 2011 at 09:10 PM.

The helmet picture looks like you divided by 0.

I would like to take a similar trip next summer. I drew a preliminary route tonight (similar to yours, all though I'm thinking about dipping into Canada). Comes out to around 5000 miles. I'd start the trip with new rubbers front and rear and around the 3500 mile marker swap out the rear. Hopefully motorcycle shops are somewhat common place outside of Colorado

I've always loved traveling and seeing the country on 2 wheels fulfills something that you miss doing it in a car. We have some friends in Sun City, CA (BP agent close to the Mexican Border), my wife has family in Yorba Linda, CA and I have a brother in San Fransisco. It would be fun to go visiting on the bike.

Once we got to California we could start in the south and work our way north to Canada.

Thanks again for sharing this one!

When you get ready to plan your route let me know. I used a combination of sites to do a ton of research including the input from people here. Sites included but not limited to:
    Bay area riders forum (BARF)
    Pashnit.com
    http://www.motorcycleroads.us/

As for the bugs, that was after 5 miles in OR. When I crested a hill I saw the sprinklers over the fields and what I thought was fog. As I got closer, it looked like dust devils in the mid-west. Luckily, it only lasted for about 5 miles but I have never seen bugs like that. At the end of the five miles I had to clean my visor, jacket, pants and even my boots. Bike was pretty much a lost cause at that point.

100% jealous. Thanks for that.

double post
    Last edited by Clovis; Sun Aug 28th, 2011 at 10:45 PM. Reason: doublepost

Do you want do it again next Summer?

If my plans with the FJR and 2 up don't work out, my current bike (FZ6) is a capable solo rider sport tourer.

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Nice!

I always suspected there was something between Jon and goats, and there's the proof!

I have a 1,700mi ride planned into UT over Labor Day......since I cant get new tires mounted before then, I hope I can get home on the ones I have.......
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

Quote Originally Posted by CYCLE_MONKEY View Post
    Nice!

I always suspected there was something between Jon and goats, and there's the proof!

I have a 1,700mi ride planned into UT over Labor Day......since I cant get new tires mounted before then, I hope I can get home on the ones I have.......
    I hope you get a chance to ride the devils backbone area. That was a sweet road with great views.

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Gr...=6&mra=ls&z=10

Clovis,
    As for riding next year, I doubt I can do anything like I did this year but a two week trip is for sure going to happen. Need to find a destination that can pack in two weeks of great riding.

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Quote Originally Posted by Joew4505 View Post
    I hope you get a chance to ride the devils backbone area. That was a sweet road with great views.

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Gr...=6&mra=ls&z=10

Clovis,
    As for riding next year, I doubt I can do anything like I did this year but a two week trip is for sure going to happen. Need to find a destination that can pack in two weeks of great riding.
    I did part of that route East from Cedar City to Bryce Canyon City last year, and headed North thru Antimony. THAT was a nice ride. This year, I'm heading 128 into Moab, than I-70W, then heading down thru Hanksville and then into Grover and doing your map, before heading up North thru antimony again. And......lots of other cool roads. Good news is, Performance Cycle has the new Metzler M5's (second, more expensive choice after my M3's but that's all anyone had), and I'm getting them mounted up tomorrow evening. So, my tire worries are now gone. WooHoo!
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

Junior Member Yearly Supporter 0N1X's Avatar

Really nice...I look up to you for sure.

Also noticed the Ducati Monster parked next to you at Alice's Restaurant. Sweet!
    2012 Monster 1100EVO
    "I ride a naked Italian..."