Thread: Bike parking at LightRail

Bike parking at LightRail

I know it's sacrelige to even ask, but I can do my homework on the train...

So, has anyone ever parked their bike at the lightrail station for a day while they're at work? I'm a little skeptical cause of theft/vandalism but I'm curious and I'd appreciate some input. I'd be riding to mineral two days a week, so it's not a high crime neighborhood. That said, theft isn't exactly something people expect to happen and there is crime everywhere. Besides, the alternative is to park downtown, which is waaay more sketchy.

Has anyone parked their bike to ride the train? Heard/experienced any horror stories about it?

Re: Bike parking at LightRail

Quote Originally Posted by MisterDeadman View Post
    I know it's sacrelige to even ask, but I can do my homework on the train...

So, has anyone ever parked their bike at the lightrail station for a day while they're at work? I'm a little skeptical cause of theft/vandalism but I'm curious and I'd appreciate some input. I'd be riding to mineral two days a week, so it's not a high crime neighborhood. That said, theft isn't exactly something people expect to happen and there is crime everywhere. Besides, the alternative is to park downtown, which is waaay more sketchy.

Has anyone parked their bike to ride the train? Heard/experienced any horror stories about it?
    you'll be fine..... cameras everywhere.
    "When you on the track, you have to be enjoying the moment, you have to be flowing, "Be water, My Friend". You try to be the fastest, and it seems a little beet estupid, 20 riders making the same way, lap by lap, but this simple thing: is very complicated." #99

Quote Originally Posted by thankgod View Post
    you'll be fine..... cameras everywhere.
    I have to start looking around more cause I've never noticed them and I ride it with some regularity...

Thanks!

get yourself a disc lock for more piece of mind. If you don't have one already.

A lock is actually on my list. I will be making a trip to 303 cycle this weekend to try on some racing boots... I've got practically no legs so I've been rocking some HD boots I got from a family member - the thick soles help a bit.

I'd get a cheap beater bike that nobody wants to steal and ride that. Failing that, get a cheapo cover and cable lock, and park next to a more expensive bike.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    I'd get a cheap beater bike that nobody wants to steal and ride that. Failing that, get a cheapo cover and cable lock, and park next to a more expensive bike.
    Hahaha! I like the way you think.

Senior Member Yearly Supporter Nooch's Avatar

I usually catch the lightrail at nine mile, so I just park at the King Soopers on the other side of Parker until I get back. They have cameras and actual security guards. Ive also parked at the Colorado/I-25 station (near the platform) and had no problems. Not sure about Mineral, but I imagine a few minor precautions should help deter would-be thieves. And as far as disc locks, I don't think they're worth that much. My buddy had a disc lock on his bike and it got stolen. Thieves probably just threw it into a truck real quick and drove off. Cops found it 3 days later laying in a ditch by a railyard. Disc locks were still on. Thieves probably didnt notice the locks until they had already jacked it, and the damage to the bike when they dumped it off was about $2000. U-locks might be worth a shot, tougher to cut without a heavy duty bolt cutter and it keeps your bike from just being tossed into a pickup, but you have to have something to secure it to.

Awesome. Thanks for the responses!

I parked at the Broadway station for over a year with my bike and never had any issues. I did use a motorcycle cable lock and secured it where it could not be picked up and moved. Scope out the mineral station and see if there is a spot to lock it up to if you are worried.
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

AKA "Devaclis"

I park at the lightrail ALL the time. I have never had an issue. Lock the stearing, don't leave your helmet, park in a designated area for MC's, and use common sense.
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    I'd get a cheap beater bike that nobody wants to steal
    Quote Originally Posted by Devaclis View Post
    I park at the lightrail ALL the time.

Buy a DRZ!