Thread: Question on fuel injected bikes

Question on fuel injected bikes

Do they need to be tuned for elevation like carbs need to be rejetted, or is the altitude here within their "range"/compensating abilites?

Reason I ask is because I just bought a busa a week ago, not that it feels like its short on power - my god - but I don't want to be shorted

Note that it is used, but I bought it from the dealership the orginal owner bought it from and the guy left it completly stock.
    00' Hayabusa

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar
    F.I. bikes will adjust themselves based on the fuel management software and hardware. As it becomes acclimated to the elevation, oxygen content, barometric pressure, and probably a few other things, the computer on the bike will adjust the air/fuel mixture for the best performance.

Now keep in mind that "best performance" is defined in this case, by the manufacturer. It is typically fuel economy driven, and not truly a performance benchmark. Regardless, it will be doing what the ECU has computed as "ideal", and you should be satisfied by the power output.

Products such as a Power Commander, allow you to tweak all that crap, and adjust air/fuel and timing and other ECU related functions. With that, you can tune the final few HP out of your machine, tune it for even better fuel economy, and adjust for aftermarket parts that affect air flow. Filters, pipes, velocity stacks, etc..

Hope that helps.
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Re: Question on fuel injected bikes

Thanks. Reading reviews of this bike people were loosing their minds with stories of mad wheelspin in 1st and power-up wheelies in 2nd. Stupid altitude But even so the power output is highly grin inducing
    00' Hayabusa

ok this might sound real stupid but for F.I. bikes when you add bolt ons and such does the internal computer or whatever adjust or do i need to take it to the shop or is like a car and you need to disconect the battery for a few and then reconect so the computer sets to the new settings like when you add an aftermarket intake to a car? or am i just rambling on to get some more posts due to me being on percocet?
    R.I.P Bobby
    R.I.P PVT Depew you honored your country well

I made a low dollar adjustment..for Suzuki's as far as I can tell. Called a Timing Retard Eliminator (T.R.E). The way your bike is mapped from the factory, the man. is trying to lower chance of looping and such in gears 1-4, by retarding timing. Weird thing is, once you hit 10k rpm, the bike wants to come alive, all of a sudden. Check gixxer.com (store section), and for $30 you can have a 5 minute plug-on, that will trick your bike into thinking its already in 5th gear. The timing retard is gone, and usually the power spike at 10k..no power loss, but it feels faster off the bottom, and smoother at upper rpms...more drivable. Then, if ya want more, look at PC III's, etc. Think you'll like it.
    Don't TALK about it, BE about it!

www.myspace.com/gotti_ruffryders

RUFF RYDERS of Colorado

Quote Originally Posted by W1LL";p="223893
    ok this might sound real stupid but for F.I. bikes when you add bolt ons and such does the internal computer or whatever adjust or do i need to take it to the shop or is like a car and you need to disconect the battery for a few and then reconect so the computer sets to the new settings like when you add an aftermarket intake to a car? or am i just rambling on to get some more posts due to me being on percocet?
    This depends on the type of system and the software. On most systems the map that in the confuser will adjust the mixture within "A RANGE". This means that it will try to keep the fuel mixture within a rich/lean condition as per the map. If you add pipes, intake, yadayadayada you may exceed the range of the existing map. This would require a re-map to extend the range so that the computer will get it right. All this can be done with a re-map or a PC-III or one of the other mapping override boxes. The only way to be absolutely sure is to put it on a dyno and get it right the first time. You will get the best performance and not cause any inadvertent engine damage this way.

Cheers.
    Marc
    84 R100RS LE, 14 Ducati MTSGT, 18 Desert Sled, 73 850 Commando, 78 CT90, 14 Ural, 74 Eldorado police, 64 R50/2, 01 DRZ400E, 94 900SS/CR, 77 HD XLCR, 2011 T100, 63 MG Falcone', 75 Ducati 860GT, 2015 Royal Enfield Classic Chrome, 2009 XR1200, 1944 Nimbus, 1989 GB500 https://lomaxcm.smugmug.com/

has anyone ever used one of ivans tre's? what makes them so special to be sold at $100 as compared to the normal 30 bucks?
    you know you are old when the things that were cool to you no longer are, and the things that are cool now are strange and foreign!

Quote Originally Posted by copkod78 View Post
    has anyone ever used one of ivans tre's? what makes them so special to be sold at $100 as compared to the normal 30 bucks?
    They are special because they are plug and play. I made a simple TRE for my TL for about $1 (parts from RadioHut) Although for about $5 more you can make a slightly smarter/better one If you want one that just plugs into your exisitng harness then you get to spend a LOT more (i.e. Ivan's)

And on altitude... I think the general (overly general??) rule of thumb is that you lose about 3% HP for every 1,000 ft in elevation. FWIW.
    --- Jack

Don't ever confuse having a career with having a life.

Quote Originally Posted by copkod78 View Post

these are cheaper and do the same thing- http://www.jsdproducts.com/
    Motorcycle Roadracing Association #29
    President

MSF
    Rider Coach

Quote Originally Posted by UglyDogRacing View Post
    these are cheaper and do the same thing- http://www.jsdproducts.com/
    Does a PCIII already do the timing mod or do you use this in conjuction with a fuel management system?
    Owner and General Manager - Fun Center Cycles in Durango, CO

11 BMW S1000RR - Street - Lady on the street
    13 Kawi ZX6R - Track - Freak in the bed
    13 Triumph Daytona 675R - Wifes bike

2014 MRA 400 Production Class Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Joew4505 View Post
    Does a PCIII already do the timing mod or do you use this in conjuction with a fuel management system?

read my reply in this thread- http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forum...ad.php?t=22826
    Motorcycle Roadracing Association #29
    President

MSF
    Rider Coach

Don't think the PCIII does the timing retard function it just maps fuel/air according to what you have done to the bike.

To add to the altitude/ECU thing............
    Adding a K&N filter and not remapping (or pciii) is different than K&N, pipes, any airbox mods, TRE, etc... A good rule is if you add k&n, pipes and lose the lid or snorkel on the airbox it's best to get it remapped, dynoed or pciii'd to fine tune the air/fuel ratio to get the most out of your performance accessories.

Hope this helps! There are other fuel management systems out there but the pciii is about the most advanced as far as adjustment at shorter intervals in the rpm range! You can get into other systems but they are rare and quite pricey. Good luck
    Procrastination pays off NOW!!!