Thread: Capirossi Retiring

Capirossi Retiring

Passing the word....

OFFICIAL: LORIS CAPIROSSI RETIRES FROM MOTORCYCLE RACING

Three Grand Prix Championships, twenty-nine race victories, forty-one pole positions, and ninety-nine GP podiums, there is no denying the fact that Loris Capirossi has had an illustrious career in GP racing. Finally confirming what’s been hinted at all season long, Capirossi tearfully spoke at today’s pre-race press conference, as the 38-year-old announced that 2011 would be his last season racing motorcycles. Electing not to ride in World Superbike or continue in MotoGP on a CRT machine, this weekend’s race, the 325th for Capirossi, will be the last time the legendary Italian rider will race in front of a home crowd.

Making the announcement in the presence of past-Ducati teammate Casey Stoner and fellow Italian Champion Valentino Rossi, CapiRex said “it is difficult for me to say this after 22 seasons, but this for sure is my last race in Italy, because I decide to retire at the end of the season. When I do the last race in Valencia, racing for me will stop. I won’t go to a different championship and I will stop racing completely.

“It is strange to listen to many riders talking about testing new bikes and I won’t ever do that,” the Italian continued. “I am happy with myself because this is the right time to retire. I am 100% sure this is the correct decision.”
    Having his best premier-class seasons with Ducati, Capirossi will finish his career with the Italian brand, though likely not under the conditions he would have preferred. Sitting 16th in the Championship standings, Capirossi is only buoyed above the last place position by his teammate Randy de Puniet, as both Pramac Ducati riders have struggled with the Ducati Desmosedici GP11 and its vague front-end this season.

Always a friendly and pleasurable person to talk to in the GP paddock, we think most GP fans will favor remembering Capirossi’s epic battles with Max Biaggi, instead of his more recent rides with Ducati and Suzuki. We’re sure this weekend’s San Marino GP will be an emotional one for the Italian rider and his fans, as will his career-closing race in Valencia.

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Re: Capirossi Retiring

One of my favorite riders of all time - was aggressive without being dangerous - had a great demeanor for interviews and an amazing talent for developing motorcycles. Stoner greatly benefitted from Capirossi's work with the Ducati during the 990 era.

Good on him for knowing when to retire - he's had an amazing career and is an amazing rider.

s

Motorcycle racing is losing one of it's greatest legends. I can't say that I'm 100% shocked, but still sad to see. 325th race, can you imagine? Most people live there whole life dreaming of doing one race! What a career he has made for himself.

Heh, I was just reading this on RRW and was about to post it up. Kinda sad news, but unlike Michael Jordan's 18 retirements, I think Capirossi is comfortable with his decision--or so it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Motorcycle racing is losing one of it's greatest legends. I can't say that I'm 100% shocked, but still sad to see. 325th race, can you imagine? Most people live there whole life dreaming of doing one race! What a career he has made for himself.

I think he's kinda the underrated/forgotten great rider of racing.

Everyone jumps to Rossi and Stoner, and I'm not taking anything away from their greatness, yet Capirossi's been there (quietly) throughout all of it.

I'm definitely envious of his career, and I'm sure he'll still be a development rider or something similar.

Probably the best of all worlds, really, go out at a time of your choosing instead of due to injury or something else forcing you out, "retire" to a lovely villa somewhere in the alps, count your millions, ride whenever you want...yeah, all told not a bad life/career...
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

I just watched the BBC/Eurosport coverage of last Sunday's race and they did a lot with the announcement of Caparossi retiring. Lots of old footage, commentary and interviews...it was really sad. Very well done though. Even Rossi said "We are losing one of the best MotoGP riders ever." I just wish he could have had a better race for his last Italian grand prix.