Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Michilin Road 3s -- Is anyone using them?

Michilin Road 3s -- Is anyone using them?

I've used Dunlap Q2s this year. Great tire (the best I've ever used) for handling very it really sucks on mileage. Replacing the rear at $125 a pop plus mounting on a monthly basis is expensive and this is on a 600. The front was looking like a V after 4800 miles and Jackal just put a new Q2 on.

Honestly the Q2 is probably way more then I need. I'm pretty agressive on the lean but I'm not dragging a puck, the FZ6 just sits too high for that.

I've heard of people getting 10k out of their Road 2s which would be a godsend to me. I like spending $300 and getting a full season, maybe 2 out of my tires a heck of a lot better then 2 full sets in a single summer.

I'm really interested to hear from folks who are using the Road 3s and how they like them (and the mileage they're getting).

-Clovis

Re: Michilin Road 3s -- Is anyone using them?

I have a number of customers running PR3s. Several of them are on this board, and feedback has been very positive. I have been running PR2s on my FZ1 for the last 33k, and it looks like I will average almost 20k per set. The PR3 is supposed to last even longer, and addresses some minor issues with midlean confidence, especially in the wet.
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

I have been using road2s on the VFR for a couple years now and just switched to 3s. I was very satisfied with the 2s, I would get around 11-12k out of a front and 14 -15 k out of a rear. The rear 3 I have now has about 7k so far and still looks great, the front is still new. Performance has been good, granted most of the VFR miles are commuting but I still have fun on it occasionally and the tires grip great. I dont drag knees on it either but the chicken strips are under 1/2 inch to give you an idea of how it is ridden

14-15k? Wow, if I can get anywhere close to that I'm sold. I would be happy with a set that last the season at this point.

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

I got about 8500 miles out of my last set of PR2's on the VFR. I'll try the PR3's next.
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

I've got over 1k miles on my pr3's on my VFR and I love them. Switched from Dunlop Roadsmarts. First thing I noticed was my bike's desire to lean. Real stable standing up, but once you ask it to turn, it just wants to lay over...in a good way! This will probably be the only tire I run on the VFR from now on. Also, Maria (Triumph street triple) is on her second set of pr3's.
    --Dave
    2013 Honda VFR 1200F
    2014 Honda VFR800-SOLD
    2007 Honda VFR800-SOLD

2004 Kawasaki KLX300R

I've got about 3k on my PR3's on an RC51 (bought from Jim - THANKS!!!). LOVE them! They barely look broken in. They really do want to turn. I'm not near good enough riding to hit the edge of them but for mildly spirited canyon carving and unfortunately a lot of commuting... they're great!

Account Deactivated at users request Yearly Supporter

I've got PR3s on the VFR1200 now, what a revelation over the stock Bridgestone POS's. I had PR2s on my old VFR800 and loved them so I wasn't worried. These people getting 10k to 20k have me very impressed. I'd be surprised if you get that kind of mileage if you're an aggressive rider, but I could be wrong.

They handle great, they last longer than typical sport rubber, and are wonderful in wet conditions. Just go for it, you won't be sorry. Let us know what kind of mileage you end up getting, I'm definitely curious.

As an aside, I was wondering if the strange looking tread pattern would look weird on the bike. Since the VFR1200 is "unique" looking in the first place I think it looks kickass!

^^+1 on kickass!
    --Dave
    2013 Honda VFR 1200F
    2014 Honda VFR800-SOLD
    2007 Honda VFR800-SOLD

2004 Kawasaki KLX300R

Exposed Member Lifetime Supporter Bashed's Avatar

I put on a set of PR2 last spring in an attempt to get a rear to last longer than 2500 miles. Granted I was in NM in the summer where temp's were averaging 100, and I was in the desert averaging 100 .
    They only lasted 3200 miles. I killed the rear only 700 more miles than a SS tire.
    I am now running the Pirelli ST Angels. It looks like they might last a bit longer but the jury is still out. They certainly hook up in the rear better than the PR2, as the Michelin's would spinup in moderate throttle inputs coming out of slow to midspeed corners. not very confidance inspiring.
    So I guess I am a Pirelli tire guy this summer, who kows what next year may bring.
    * Bash, Bashasaurus, Ms Bash, his neighbors or friends are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you being squidish, squid like, squirting ink, or waving your non-covered tentacles about in a squidy fashion. Nor is he or his associates responsible for any citations as a result of you hanging with SoCo. Any attempt to coerce, blame, question, or pin your loser-riffic behavior on any of us, or those who are considered us for the night, as well as people we like, to include Salma Hayek and Nicky Hayden, among others, will result in a profanity stricken series of post that mock and taunt you incessantly, as well as many of us adding such insults to our signature lines. Avoid taking SoCo before bedtime. Do not use if you experience faintness, dizziness, inverness, difficulty urinating or blotchy skin. If I steal a line, quote, avatar or image from a post you make on the internet, you're not getting credit.*

I got 7-8k out of my PR2's when I was getting 6k out of pilot powers and 5k out of med/soft race tires. I am downright anal when it comes to tire pressures, so I was not so impressed

I think Maria (street triple, uber light bike) got ~8k out of the PR2's as well

to be honest, for the added cost and different feel, I'd prefer to run sportier tires

I have about 3k on a set of the PR3's now, and they are the best tire I've had so far. They feel great wet or dry, and have a very confident feel when I'm cornering in a "spirited" manner.
    '16 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
    '12 Kawasaki Concours14 -
    Sold
    '08 Kawasaki Concours14 -
    Sold
    '05 Suzuki SV1000S - Sold
    '07 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 - Sold

Here are some actual mileage numbers and an interesting pattern. This is on an '06 VFR800 that was a leftover bought new in May '07. I don t know if sitting in the crate 1 1/2 years affected anything but I did want to mention it. OE tires (I dont remember what they were) lasted 4793 for the pair. First set was regular PRs, I missed the introduction of the PR2 by a month - front 16647, rear 11674. Second set was PR2s, this is where the front mileage issue started - front 10494, rear 15763. Third set PR2s again - front 10480, rear 14052. Last front PR2 got 11345 but I really let it go too long. It was not anywhere near bald but it was really cupped. The first rear PR3 now has 8000 and still looks great, the front PR3 has about 300 so no opinion yet.

To be honest the bike spends 98% of its time commuting, when I have fun I take the Tuono. However I have done a few fun rides on the VFR so I can say the tires grip. Not something I would do a track day on or a track pace in the canyons but at a reasonable canyon pace they are great

Account Deactivated at users request Yearly Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by OUTLAWD View Post
    I got 7-8k out of my PR2's when I was getting 6k out of pilot powers and 5k out of med/soft race tires. I am downright anal when it comes to tire pressures, so I was not so impressed

I think Maria (street triple, uber light bike) got ~8k out of the PR2's as well

to be honest, for the added cost and different feel, I'd prefer to run sportier tires
    My experience is closer to Dave's. But remember, Maria weighs half of what we do and her bike is like 200 lbs lighter as well. Her tires have an easier life than ours. Even though she rides the livin' crap out of 'em!

Quote Originally Posted by longrider View Post
    Here are some actual mileage numbers and an interesting pattern. This is on an '06 VFR800 that was a leftover bought new in May '07. I don t know if sitting in the crate 1 1/2 years affected anything but I did want to mention it. OE tires (I dont remember what they were) lasted 4793 for the pair. First set was regular PRs, I missed the introduction of the PR2 by a month - front 16647, rear 11674. Second set was PR2s, this is where the front mileage issue started - front 10494, rear 15763. Third set PR2s again - front 10480, rear 14052. Last front PR2 got 11345 but I really let it go too long. It was not anywhere near bald but it was really cupped. The first rear PR3 now has 8000 and still looks great, the front PR3 has about 300 so no opinion yet.

To be honest the bike spends 98% of its time commuting, when I have fun I take the Tuono. However I have done a few fun rides on the VFR so I can say the tires grip. Not something I would do a track day on or a track pace in the canyons but at a reasonable canyon pace they are great
    If you're cupping the front before you wear out the rear, you need to adjust your tire pressures or suspension settings.

Quote Originally Posted by TFOGGuys View Post
    I have a number of customers running PR3s. Several of them are on this board, and feedback has been very positive. I have been running PR2s on my FZ1 for the last 33k, and it looks like I will average almost 20k per set. The PR3 is supposed to last even longer, and addresses some minor issues with midlean confidence, especially in the wet.
    I just got a set of PR2's and this is my only complain. Other than that, I like them. If the PR3's fix this issue, I'd definitely consider swapping them out!

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarX View Post
    My experience is closer to Dave's. But remember, Maria weighs half of what we do and her bike is like 200 lbs lighter as well. Her tires have an easier life than ours. Even though she rides the livin' crap out of 'em!
    Haha Gary my bike is definitely not a commuter bike but she does like chasing Connie's, Ninja's and VFR's in the canyons. I have no problems with traction on wet or dry pavement surfaces. Unfortunately I had to have a new rear put on my bike a week ago I picked up a piece of wood, yes wood? I only had about 4500 miles on it too, ugh... I went with the R3 again.
    Maria
    2009 Street Triple

Quote Originally Posted by BC14 View Post
    I have about 3k on a set of the PR3's now, and they are the best tire I've had so far. They feel great wet or dry, and have a very confident feel when I'm cornering in a "spirited" manner.
    I can vouch for the spirited cornering!
    --Dave
    2013 Honda VFR 1200F
    2014 Honda VFR800-SOLD
    2007 Honda VFR800-SOLD

2004 Kawasaki KLX300R

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Over a million years ago, they had a really bad 'thump' due to a FUBAR'd adhesion seam (that Michelin even admitted to but refused to replace) and they were pretty lame in the corners when running fully loaded on the USS Lux-O Land Barge. They suck for mileage too. Metzler's FTMFW!!!

(Oops! Sorry, wrong thread.....)
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

A similar thread over on the FZ1 forum has many guys claiming 12k from PR2's

Hmmm...

Bike specific? Commuter vs. canyon carving? I dunno...

Quote Originally Posted by CYCLE_MONKEY View Post
    Over a million years ago, they had a really bad 'thump' due to a FUBAR'd adhesion seam (that Michelin even admitted to but refused to replace) and they were pretty lame in the corners when running fully loaded on the USS Lux-O Land Barge. They suck for mileage too. Metzler's FTMFW!!!

(Oops! Sorry, wrong thread.....)
    No thumps, bumps or other issues, sir. Metzlers won't last on Marge, simple as that.
    '16 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
    '12 Kawasaki Concours14 -
    Sold
    '08 Kawasaki Concours14 -
    Sold
    '05 Suzuki SV1000S - Sold
    '07 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 - Sold

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Quote Originally Posted by CaptGoodvibes View Post
    A similar thread over on the FZ1 forum has many guys claiming 12k from PR2's

Hmmm...

Bike specific? Commuter vs. canyon carving? I dunno...
    It's possible that some riders occasionally check their tire pressures and others don't

Well, I've got about 1k left on my PR1's so I'm watching this and other threads with great interest.

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Quote Originally Posted by BC14 View Post
    No thumps, bumps or other issues, sir. Metzlers won't last on Marge, simple as that.
    It was a joke related to my Metzler post.

Have you run any Metzlers on her?
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)