Thread: Backfire

Backfire

I had the gas tank off for a week waiting to replace the fuel pump plate seal. I got it all back together saturday and went for a ride yesturday morning. Now it is backfiring and bogging really bad when I let off the gas I'm gonna try putting in carb cleaner and see if that helps as I'm not sure why it is doing that....Any sugestions are welcome. It's a 96 gsxr 750

Thanks
    Josh

making some guesses....

hi josh,
    i'm going to make some quesses about your situation... you haven't made any adjustments to the carb(s) or timing. when you say that you replaced the fuel pump plate seal i'm thinking a new gasket was used.... might be thicker than the original or it might swell a bit if exposed to raw fuel.... if the gasket is thicker for any of these reasons, the pump's stroke will be compromised resulting in less fuel available to the carb(s). that'd be the source of boggying and backfire!
    hope that helps,
    henry
    "its boxy, its fast..."

iba#14410 -- 1kss, bbg, 50cc, 2kss, 3kss and b2b_insanity completed -- it has been 4 years.
    UPDATE bbg_insanity will run somewhere btwn APR-JUN 09

check the filter at the carb connection having the tank apart may have stirred up some crap and got stuck in the filter if not6 that it sounds like it is runnig lean
    Bryce Random racing #814

Petcock

The exact same thing happens sometimes when I have my tank off for a couple of days. If you have a vacuum petcock, like I do, put it to prime. Run it for about 2 or 3 miles and then back to the on position. Should clear it up. If you have the regular-non vacuum type (with an off position) can't help ya!
    2003 Triumph E85 Ethanol Powered

you said COCK im sure Josh was listening after he read COCK!!!

Check for vacuum lines that are either not connected, or are not connected to their proper place.
    Change is good....You go first.