Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: HPR in early October

HPR in early October

I'm hoping to get out to HPR for my first track day in CO since moving here. I hear, depending on the year, October can be the end of the season but I'm crossing my fingers for good weather.

Just wanted to see if anyone was looking at the early October track days (3rd or 7th).

Re: HPR in early October

I'll be there-wx permitting!
    2006 CBR1000RR-Valencia '08 Repsol scheme-Track day junkie!

You're not going both days, are ya? I'd prefer the 7th but I guess we'll have to see what mother nature will be serving up for us.

Probably the 7th since I'm doing the 26th in Sept. But, I might just make the 3rd too! I'm also in for the 17th.

Nice, you're all over the place. Do you live nearby or just a super track junkie?

I'm over in Berthoud..............and yes, I have a track addiction and the end of the season is near!! That being said, I can't wait to bust out my snowmobile!

I hear ya on that. I'm really hoping the weather cooperates.

I've been snowmobiling several times in Tahoe...and that's some great fun too. What are you running? This may be old news but I hear one of Yamaha's has an R1 based engine? That must be nutty!

Quote Originally Posted by sbgixxer View Post
    I hear ya on that. I'm really hoping the weather cooperates.

I've been snowmobiling several times in Tahoe...and that's some great fun too. What are you running? This may be old news but I hear one of Yamaha's has an R1 based engine? That must be nutty!
    Heh that's very old news!

Now they're running a triple 4-stroke that they're extremely proud of. Turbo it 12 PSI or less, and 150 shot of nitrous or less, and it's still under warranty!

I haven't been on one in probably seven or eight years and clearly don't follow it too closely. But yeah, 150hp on the snow sounds like a blast. I know the few I've ridden weren't anywhere near that.

The Yammies go like stink, but they are HEAVY. I have an 860 BB Ski Doo XP. 860cc two stroke twin with 175 hp. It weighs 480 lbs full of gas. So, power to weight wise, it's not quite as fast as my CBR

HPR made the decision for me. October 7th was cancelled so, I'm shooting for the 3rd for my first HPR visit.

Does anyone know what the daily track rental fee is for a non-team, non-tune rental? I see that a test & tune is $2400 but no cost is listed for a private rental. Just curious if anyone has tried that and just charged to attend to make up the $$$ needed.

why are you trying to do a private rental when you can go to a motorcycle lapping day on either 10/3 or 10/9 for $150 for a full day?
    Motorcycle Roadracing Association #29
    President

MSF
    Rider Coach

I DO plan on doing the October 3rd trackday. It's not that I'm necessarily trying to do a private rental, just inquiring. I'm new to track riding in CO but in CA it was done to keep costs down while also not having a 100 rider field. For my $150 I have no idea yet how many riders I'll be sharing the track with.

This ain't California

I DO plan on doing the October 3rd trackday. It's not that I'm necessarily trying to do a private rental, just inquiring. I'm new to track riding in CO but in CA it was done to keep costs down while also not having a 100 rider field. For my $150 I have no idea yet how many riders I'll be sharing the track with.
    So what you are saying is you are willing to rent the track yourself and then try to get enough riders to get the cost down to a minimal amount per rider, such as a track day organization like Chicane does. Problem is your on the hook if you don't get the turnout to cover the rental fee, ambulance,etc. If you're financially well-off then it's not a big deal. Not too many of us can afford paying a couple grand for a track day. I makes an HPR Lapping Day or Chicane Day a much more sensible choice.

Not sure what tracks in CA you are talking about but I rode Fontana, Willow Springs and Buttonwillow while I lived out there and you couldnt get on any of them unless it was a race weekend or when a track day organization rented it. Infineon and Laguna are the same. I would imagine Thunderhill works the same way.
    Motorcycle Roadracing Association #29
    President

MSF
    Rider Coach

I'm not saying I want to do anything...just trying to get a little more information. As I understand it, Chicane is the only one who actually rents the track out and has an organized track day. Their days seem few and far between at HPR. For now I AM going to do one of the less organized "open days" but am just looking for more information. There IS a difference between Chicane days and "open lapping" as far as organization, right?

As for the CA tracks, I usually did Willow Springs or Button Willow. It is possible to rent both tracks out (like the track day organizations) but wasn't necessary because the track day organizations had very frequent showings. They provided rider's meetings, had food available, and most importantly had medical staff on hand and a little bit of organization as far as track entry, crash assistance, red flags, etc.

Asking these questions and having a few other interested parties is usually how these track organizations come to be.

I'm not saying I want to do anything...just trying to get a little more information. As I understand it, Chicane is the only one who actually rents the track out and has an organized track day. Their days seem few and far between at HPR. For now I AM going to do one of the less organized "open days" but am just looking for more information. There IS a difference between Chicane days and "open lapping" as far as organization, right?

Asking these questions and having a few other interested parties is usually how these track organizations come to be.
    Chicane is Rybo's baby, and he runs 1-2 track days a season, this year it was 2. Chicane days are organized and run much like NESBA days or other organizations' track days where the organization rents the track and provides amenities for the riders.

HPR opens the track for Open Lapping Days, it's not a separate organization. Open Lapping days are not as organized as Chicane, there's no lunch, no tire support, no 3 session division--there may be Fast and Slow groups if needed, but otherwise it's just a hot/open track all day.

HPR also rents the track if you wanted to get the $$ together and do it--same as most any other track I've ever been to.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

If you are worried about having a huge field of riders...

Last lapping day, there was maybe 10 people total on the track at one time. Completely empty

Thanks Ghost and TecknoJoe, that's the type of info I was looking for.

I wonder why Chicane only does 1-2 track days a year at HPR. Not enough demand?

Thanks Ghost and TecknoJoe, that's the type of info I was looking for.

I wonder why Chicane only does 1-2 track days a year at HPR. Not enough demand?
    Np.

You'd have to ask Rybo, but my guess is that there's not enough demand for available dates.

Most weekends HPR is tied up with racing or club events (by the founding clubs such as Porsche, etc.), so that leaves very few free weekends.

And, while there are tons of open/un-rented days during the week, the number of potential riders who can do a trackday on a weekday are too few to host a full Chicane event...

But, again, that's just my guess.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

I'm hoping to get out to HPR for my first track day in CO since moving here. I hear, depending on the year, October can be the end of the season but I'm crossing my fingers for good weather.

Just wanted to see if anyone was looking at the early October track days (3rd or 7th).

Sunday 10/9th is definately on my schedule depending on the weather.
    Why drink and drive when you can smoke and fly

I might be able to pull a Sunday instead of Monday the 3rd. I was figuring Monday would be better because of a smaller field...but again, I really have no idea what a Sunday HPR day will attract. Either way, I can't wait to get back on the track. It's been far too long.

I might be able to pull a Sunday instead of Monday the 3rd. I was figuring Monday would be better because of a smaller field...but again, I really have no idea what a Sunday HPR day will attract. Either way, I can't wait to get back on the track. It's been far too long.
    A bunch of us are heading out for HPR on the 26th of Sept, why not join us?
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

I think Sunday could be a good day to ride.
    I am sure the attendence would not be an issue on the track.

I would like to take some time off from work but I unable to do it.
    I am always looking for weekends avaiable to ride at the track
    Last edited by flyingmonkey; Mon Sep 19th, 2011 at 08:28 PM.
    Why drink and drive when you can smoke and fly