Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What do you want in a shop?

DIS-MEMBERED
    (Banned)

Lightbulb What do you want in a shop?

Looking for you intel

When it comes to service on your bike what do you look for?

What turns u on to the one you use?

Same day service?

Performance options?

Anything u have would be much appreciated

Re: What do you want in a shop?

hot chicks in tight skimpy clothes
    1998 VFR800 Interceptor - resurrected and custom tail http://vfrworld.com/forums/5th-gener...98-vfr800.html

1999 DR650SE

And a courtesy tube of vaseline with the bill.

Happy Ending.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

mounting & balancing tires bought elsewhere for a decent price and no bs about not mounting tires bought elsewhere

not chewing the crap outta my rims when mounting said tires

2000 tillis plus stuff with some polished stuff and some carbon fiber stuff and a little bit of tlr stuff and some gsxr stuff

Quality product or service at a fair price. It doesn't have to be the cheapest price ever (stores need to make money) but I don't want to feel like I'm getting taken on every deal. I'm willing to pay a little more for everyday products to know that a good store has the things I need on hand. Or keeps stock for me to check things out. And then on top of that, I want the people I deal with to be nice, willing to help, and interested in being in the service industry.

The shops I go back to, or recommend, all have good people working there. Usually they have very fair prices, but most importantly, I want to know that I can trust the place I'm going to. Currently, I shop a lot at Sun Honda. It's close and they are the only KTM dealer in my area. But there's really only one guy I work with, because I trust his recommendation. The prices are okay, but they have the things I need, nice people and they are very knowledgeable (at least some of them).

Same day service- in emergencies, I guess. To me it's not that important, I do a lot of my own work.

Performance parts- again, not important to me. More important is having some everyday stuff in stock with the option to get performance stuff if I need.

DIS-MEMBERED
    (Banned)

Quote Originally Posted by Jmetz View Post
    And a courtesy tube of vaseline with the bill.
    Vaseline comes with ur bike

DIS-MEMBERED
    (Banned)

Good info. Please keep it coming

A lot of body shops are now posting progress pictures of your vehicle every few hours or in the evenings so the owner can see the progress being made on their vehicle. That could be something cool to see when you take your bike in for service. The thing I hate the most is taking it to a shop, when already having an appointment setup, and watching your bike just sit. Which brings me to another thing I'd like to see or hear from the owner or manager, is a realistic estimated time of completion. And a follow up if things aren't going to be finished when estimated. Man I get frustrated sitting around and waiting for a shop to call.
    Last edited by Matty; Thu Sep 8th, 2011 at 07:47 AM.
    Remember Yesterday. Plan For Tomorrow. Live For Today.

Current Stable:

'o5 SuzukiGSX-1oooR
    (Custom Street Fighter).
    'o6 Pitster Pro 50cc Pit Bike (125cc Big Bore Kit).

DIS-MEMBERED
    (Banned)

Quote Originally Posted by kevplus2 View Post
    mounting & balancing tires bought elsewhere for a decent price and no bs about not mounting tires bought elsewhere

not chewing the crap outta my rims when mounting said tires
    No problem. All will be explained in time

DIS-MEMBERED
    (Banned)

Quote Originally Posted by Matty View Post
    A lot of body shops are now posting progress pictures of your vehicle every few hours or in the evenings so the owner can see the progress being made on their vehicle. That could be something cool to see when you take your bike in for service. The thing I hate the most is taking it to a shop, when already having an appointment setup, and watching your bike just sit. Which brings ne to another thing I'd like to see or hear from te owner or manager, is a realistic estimated time of completion. And a follow up if things aren't going to be finished when estimated. I hate sitting around and waiting for a shop to call.
    I like that idea of pics or even web live web cams. And fallow up is very important

Are you thinking about opening a shop?

DIS-MEMBERED
    (Banned)

Looking in to making a very nice shop the best shop

DIS-MEMBERED
    (Banned)

All give more details after things are set in stone. But I do appreciate all your intel because everything will be taken to heart

Oooohhhhhh, I like how cryptic this thread is. What's going to happen? Aaaahhhhh! Lol
    2006 ZX10r<-----wrecked, LOL!

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

I look for a place that wants to have a relationship with me.

I can buy stuff anywhere, none of this stuff is so exclusive or special that I can't order it online or go to just about any shop in the state and buy it.

I like it when I walk in and they remember my name. I like it when they ask how my season is going and remember the last thing I bought from them and ask how it's working.

I like it when I can call, ask a favor, or have them special order something for me over the phone and have them not demand immediate payment (this requires me to live up to my end of the relationship and not screw them when it comes in).

I like to go to shops where I feel like a valued customer.

Hows that?

DIS-MEMBERED
    (Banned)

Quote Originally Posted by rybo View Post

I can buy stuff anywhere, none of this stuff is so exclusive or special that I can't order it online or go to just about any shop in the state and buy it.

I like it when I walk in and they remember my name. I like it when they ask how my season is going and remember the last thing I bought from them and ask how it's working.

I like it when I can call, ask a favor, or have them special order something for me over the phone and have them not demand immediate payment (this requires me to live up to my end of the relationship and not screw them when it comes in).

Good points I like I like

Hows that?

Great points I like and agree with u. Most parts if ordered can be returned so don't see why u need up front....
    . What do u think of in shop credits?

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    More important is having some everyday stuff in stock with the option to get performance stuff if I need.
    +1 it seems like common stuff like brake pads should not have to be ordered, but more often than not, i hear "we don't have that in stock"

+100

Why on earth would you open a shop in Denver?

Awful idea.
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

Senior Member Yearly Supporter Nooch's Avatar

Hows that?
    Yeah all of that is super important to me as well. My shop has only had a relationship with me for maybe 3 weeks, but when i took my bike in for first service, they remembered my name and when I came back to pick it up, they remembered my name again and they knew which bike was mine before i even said a word. Not a huge deal, but it helps you feel like you're really valued which inherently helps you feel that your bike is being well cared for as well.

Another suggestion, and I really dont know if this is even possible...but a lot of shops won't install a part that you bring in yourself because if the shop didnt supply the part, they can't warranty it. But there are alot of savings to be had buying parts yourself. Perhaps a shop that allows their customers to supply their own parts (even if a warranty waiver is necessary) would be extra attractive. This is a trend I usually see in auto shops, rather than bike shops so perhaps this is commonplace in bike shops.

Also, hot chicks in tight skimpy clothes...

Quote Originally Posted by Zach929rr View Post
    Why on earth would you open a shop in Denver?

Awful idea.
    +1

You know how many shops have closed in the last 2-3 years? And those were mostly established shops with a following, they just couldn't make it work.

Breaking in now, with this economy...there's a reason most small businesses fail within their first two years...
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    +1

You know how many shops have closed in the last 2-3 years? And those were mostly established shops with a following, they just couldn't make it work.

Breaking in now, with this economy...there's a reason most small businesses fail within their first two years...
    This is true in any economy, not just a bad one.

To the contrary: A time like this is a great opportunity for a new small business that has decent capatialization from the start. Rents are low, wholesalers are being leinient with minimum orders and are offering some good pricing and terms. On top of that people are losing their "mainstay" shops, so if someone can come in, offer amazing service and develop a strong customer base in a challenging economic period, then they will thrive as the economy improves.

The hinge here, is how much capatialization do you have to start with, and can you survive for a full year if you don't turn a profit?

s

Senior Member Yearly Supporter Nooch's Avatar

The odds may be stacked against him, but if he doesnt try to open a shop then his fail rate is 100%. Just like Gretzky said, you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Let the man have his dreams!

Great customer service is huge to me. You don't have to remember my name but if you remember me, thats great. Treat me with respect, listen to what I have to say instead of assuming I'm some unknowing schmuck. Talk to me, give me your opinion, give me options, work with me. Sometimes one may not have the money to get everything done at once, so piecing service out and not getting killed for it would be awesome.