Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What do you want in a shop?

Re: What do you want in a shop?

Does anyone read? Existing shop, maybe think back to his previous posts as to who it might be

Quote Originally Posted by ImortalUK View Post
    Looking in to making a very nice shop the best shop

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    Does anyone read? Existing shop, maybe think back to his previous posts as to who it might be
    Rediculous theory is rediculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmetz View Post
    Rediculous theory is rediculous.
    Hahahaha.... Wait, what??? I always thought reading and comprehending was just used back in elementary school.
    Remember Yesterday. Plan For Tomorrow. Live For Today.

Current Stable:

'o5 SuzukiGSX-1oooR
    (Custom Street Fighter).
    'o6 Pitster Pro 50cc Pit Bike (125cc Big Bore Kit).

DIS-MEMBERED
    (Banned)

What I find I love about csc is the fact we can never stay on track lol

Senior Member cptschlongenheimer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ImortalUK View Post
    What I find I love about csc is the fact we can never stay on track lol
    Yeah, I saw some of that from turn 3 monday... oh... wrong thread.
    89 EX500 RIP
    06 R6S RIP
    03 R6

I took this from one of my posts awhile back, but it will always apply:

As a female, it is HUGELY appreciated when technicians and salesmen don’t treat me like I’m an idiot (even if I am), creep me out, talk over/ignore me, especially if I'm with a male friend...
    And I'd like to add to the last part: Look, if I'm the one talking to you and asking questions, it's because I'm the one who's in the market for a part/service and has the $$ to spend at your store. The male friend, unlike me, is most likely there to just hang out on my errand. That's why I gave you a mean look when he finally had to tell you, "Talk to HER about it, since it's her [bike/car/house/computer/etc].
    Last edited by aerofaze; Thu Sep 8th, 2011 at 03:19 PM.
    '09 Duc Monster 696
    '00 Suz SV650 (Dad's, garaged with mine)
    I like mountains because they make me feel small.

I'm a fan of fast turnaround, and I'm willing to pay more for it. And by fast turnaround, I mean tomorrow... not 3-4 fucking weeks. I will never purchase, or ahve a bike services at Sun, every again. Priority service (means you bought the bike there) wait time is 2-3 weeks at a minimum for even the most basic service. They also charge an arm and a leg for swapping a tire.

CO Powersports, even though I think they are a ripoff, can get pretty much anything done the next day, even though it will cost me a little more.

video/pic updates are more of a perq, but updates in general would be rad.
    2008 Honda CBR600RR - Graffiti
    2002 Yamaha WR250F

DIS-MEMBERED
    (Banned)

Every one hs great points no the fun part to put them all togeather

DIS-MEMBERED
    (Banned)

Quote Originally Posted by aerofaze View Post
    I took this from one of my posts awhile back, but it will always apply:

And I'd like to add to the last part: Look, if I'm the one talking to you and asking questions, it's because I'm the one who's in the market for a part/service and has the $$ to spend at your store. The male friend, unlike me, is most likely there to just hang out on my errand. That's why I gave you a mean look when he finally had to tell you, "Talk to HER about it, since it's her [bike/car/house/computer/etc].
    Very good I have seen it allot

Quote Originally Posted by rybo View Post
    I look for a place that wants to have a relationship with me.

I can buy stuff anywhere, none of this stuff is so exclusive or special that I can't order it online or go to just about any shop in the state and buy it.

I like it when I walk in and they remember my name. I like it when they ask how my season is going and remember the last thing I bought from them and ask how it's working.

I like it when I can call, ask a favor, or have them special order something for me over the phone and have them not demand immediate payment (this requires me to live up to my end of the relationship and not screw them when it comes in).

I like to go to shops where I feel like a valued customer.

Hows that?
    This. Lack of the above reasons leads me to not shop frequently. Lack of all the above leads me to never come back. Treat your customers like shit and enjoy closing your doors. For me, two extremes here are Chris (Parts Manager) at Grand Prix who has always done things right, always been straight up & honest, and always been interested in keeping me happy as a customer. The other example is Steele's Cycle. Reference ANY of my posts about that wart of a shop on satan's ass and you'll find them to be 100% anti-customer service.

I'm not saying there have to be deep discounts for CSC or for this guy or that guy, but recognize your regulars and show your appreciation of them and you'll turn them from frequent customers to brand evangelists.

On the service side of things, be straight up with your customers. Some of them want to throw their bike at you and go "fix it," then give you a credit card and leave. Some of us actually know a few things about a bike and how it works. One of the things I appreciate is when a shop forgoes replacing something just because the factory says to or because they can make extra money off of me. If the seals aren't shot, they don't necessarily need to be replaced, especially if the seals are expensive (e.g. harley dealers).

If you're competitive in price, willing to go the extra mile and appreciative of your bread & butter customers, you'll do fine.
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

And I'd like to add to the last part: Look, if I'm the one talking to you and asking questions, it's because I'm the one who's in the market for a part/service and has the $$ to spend at your store. The male friend, unlike me, is most likely there to just hang out on my errand. That's why I gave you a mean look when he finally had to tell you, "Talk to HER about it, since it's her [bike/car/house/computer/etc].[/QUOTE]

Plus 1. Treat women as valuable customers, not adornments for us guys. My wife rides the bike I bought for her (a surprise gift), found her own replacement instrument panel and installed it, etc, etc etc. When we go to buy something, if she is buying, I'm just along for the ride, and if a salesman talks over her to me, he/she usually doesn't like the way I tell him/her that the sale has just been lost (neither does my wife, but that's another issue)

Very good post already, so mine will probably be about the same. So sorry for that.

Great customer service, follow up if your doing a repair job and let them know the status. I too have found I am the one always calling the shop and that bothers me...don't tell me you will call but then never do. Welcome me, but don't hound me around the store. Fay Myers tend to hound you, I hate that a sales guy ask and I say "just looking" and then 2 minutes later the next sales guy ask, and the next and so on and so forth. Really, you were all just standing around BS'ing when I came in and saw BUBBA ask me.

Know your products - Not sure if you plant o sell motorcycles, but this could apply to other products also. When I bought my FZ1 when they first came out in 2001. My sales guy had no clue what the feature were, the stats or how to remove the seat (and he owned an R1). Have your sales staff learn the products, maybe test them on it from time to time.

Tire Changing - No reason it should take 2-3 weeks. Backed up that bad on tire changes then hire a kid at $10/hr to do only tire changes. Its not rocket science. Do everything possible to not mar rims up...my rims were all F'ed up from dealers not taking due care...'what's a cut up gallon milk container cost?'. Like another person said, expect people bringing in tires to mount...use that to learn what they paid and where. I can understand the liability reasons for not taking customers tires...but don't BS me that mail order ones are defective...just say "due to liability we can not mount tires you bought elsewhere', I found in business most people do understand that. Ticks me off if I know your lying to me, or BS'ing me.

Sales staff - Let them have more power to make the sale. For example I walk in you have a $200 riding jacket that I like, but I have seen it online the day before for $180 maybe don't act like the customer is smoking crack. Nowadays with smartphones I love pulling it out and SHOWING them when they say NO WAY was it such and such price with FREE shipping. I understand you have a building, pay sales staff and what have you...even $10 off will have me say okay for $190 I'll do it. I've walked away from many deals, just asking for them to do "something", hell $5 is still a gesture and I like places willing to work with me. I do understand it seems here in CO the sales staff have their hands tied and can not haggle...but to make a sale...lets say with $10 off that is only making you maybe $10 because maybe each unit cost YOU $180 that gesture will have me return next time so you did not ONLY make $10 but made a possibility of a long time customer.

Support Local Riding Events - It's nice to see local shops support various rides. I know you can not support them ALL but you can give back. When I was rounding up door prizes for an ADV ride (RMAR) which most riders where coming from Denver, Springs and CO areas I could not for the life of me get local places to donate...but ICON Gear for example stepped up. Its smart business, I see places put on $100K+ TV ads but heaven forbid they give back in a smaller way that has more of an impact. Just food for thought here.

Carry Common Parts - I know this is hard for a place to do. There are hundreds of brake pads for example. Hard to have them all on hand, but this day in age with internet if I leave a shop I weight the cost to come back to get the ordered item and I tend to tell them bluntly that "if I got to order then I'll do it for cheaper, save tax, probably no shipping, and have it to my houses front door in 2-5 days". Example Apex Sport lost out on me buying my Off Road Sidi Charger boots...they did not have the size but said they could order them...sorry I can get them through Dennis Kirk in 4 days. Now the smart thing would of been (this goes back to sales staff having more power) saying look if you order them we can do this cost to save you money. I think I paid $375 (I forget now), but if Apex said how about $350 I would of said Okay order them. But nope, I even asked the guy he was like "the price is what it is and I can not do anything".

So Apex LOST the sale.

Again Apex example...LOL I went in to buy a pressure suit for off road riding and a Jersey. I needed them for the hot weather so ordering online would not of been an option. I ask, "so anything you can do on the price?" Guy looks and me and says, "NO". I say well what about we ring it up under y brother in-laws account as he saves 15%..."okay we can do that"...LOL Really!!! Again give sales more power to make the sale.

I guess I learned that from running my father in-laws business. If a guy comes in and bitches about the price. Say normal price is $15, your cost is $8. Is it not better to "act" like the nice guy and take $10 (all the guy has in his hand) and make $2 or be a mean stickler to the price and make NOTHING when he walks out!!! Believe me the guy WILL return, you still made $2 more then you had at the end of the day. True you can not operate the business always like that...but from time to time the few people that come in its not going to HURT you, but instead HELP you.

Managers - Why are they always SMARTASS's!!!! Always seems like most managers are assholes. In motorcycle shops it seems they are non-existent too. I like dealing with people that have some say (as you probably could tell). Managers at any business need to be smart, know the product, have the ability to make calls, and know that return customers is what drives a business. I've seen way too many Managers in various businesses not know anything about the business. If I ask for one, I expect to get one....not the person hired last week claiming to be one (have had that happened a few times...which they get a laugh out loud for real.

Online - Any business today should sell online. It also lets you carry more stock. For example if you saw that most customers rode GSXR's and thus you carried ample supply of brake pads for that model but the trend changes in a few years and your seeing more R1's the internet lets you cash out of that old stock so your not stuck. This ties into the whole keeping plenty of parts on hand that a few of us have discussed. Also online lets you sale OLDER stock that maybe did not sell that season in the store well but online it does sell. Have a software package that ties into your inventory so well its either in-stock or not.

Hope this helps you...

Local jerk Yearly Supporter

Imortaluk has been banned so you just wasted your time.

Quote Originally Posted by grim View Post
    Lol that was quick, lasted almost a month eh?

Guess no cookie for him.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Local jerk Yearly Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post

Guess no cookie for him.
    He got a cookie on my Mt Evans run unlike some people I know

I will pass this info to him
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

If you stock alot of riding gear for reguler size men, women and kids you will rule the industry in this area. 1)Not every guy is 6ft 175lbs. 2)Not every girl is 5ft.4in 120lbs.
    Whatdja learn?

Quote Originally Posted by Ol'Skool View Post
    If you stock alot of riding gear for reguler size men, women and kids you will rule the industry in this area. 1)Not every guy is 6ft 175lbs. 2)Not every girl is 5ft.4in 120lbs.
    So everyone can try it on and then go order it online.

Quote Originally Posted by grim View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post

Guess no cookie for him.

did the drama llama sweep this under the rug or something?
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post

ban hammer without a big public flogging?
    1998 VFR800 Interceptor - resurrected and custom tail http://vfrworld.com/forums/5th-gener...98-vfr800.html

1999 DR650SE

KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post

I was wondering the same thing, I have not seen anything that warranted a ban.

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by longrider View Post
    I was wondering the same thing, I have not seen anything that warranted a ban.
    There is probably a reason for that then.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

A stupid reason...
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )