Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fay Myers Parts Department

Huge Member Site Admin Mother Goose's Avatar

Re: Fay Myers Parts Department

Quote Originally Posted by Matty View Post
    Talk to Adam in the service department... he has helped me out with the Duc a couple of times now. Super chill dude.
    It was last year for my tune, so I don't plan on going back.

Here's what happened with mine, even though Jim already knows about it.... I went in to have my bike tuned when Clarkie was working there. That's all I went in for. As the service guy and I were walking out the door, I mentioned to him to tell Clarkie that I'm going to need to get my plugs changed soon, so if the numbers aren't quite right, that would be a good reason why and I'm planning on changing them that week. (I had just bought spark plugs from Grand Prix on our way down there.) The service guy wrote it down on his sheet. Kris and I go have lunch, do some running around, then head back to the shop and wait.

They let us know when it's done and told me the price, which was WAY over the quoted price for a dyno tune. The service guy told Clarkie to CHANGE MY PLUGS! I never told him to have them changed, he just wrote it down and told him to do it. Kris is pissed, I'm pissed, I even bring in the plugs to show him that I was going to do it myself, and why would I have them change it, if I had just bought a set?? Going back and forth with the service guy, he's getting mad at me saying that I had told him to change them, and that I had signed it off. So I ask him to take the plugs out and put back my original ones so I'm not charged for them. He laughs, I sit there serious about it. I don't want to pay for something that I didn't ask for. So finally, after going back and forth for about 10 minutes, he only charges me for parts for the plugs. I'm still not happy, because money was tight at the time, and I had enough saved for just the tune, and I bought the plugs with a gift card.

So that's my experience with Fay's service department. I only went there because I would only trust Clarkie to tune my R1. I think if he ever went back to work there, I wouldn't go back to Fay. Or at least not give them any info on what I need to do to my bike.
    Last edited by Mother Goose; Thu Sep 8th, 2011 at 10:33 AM.

Ha... Rybo, I know that they did not pay you. Ugly, right on. Ghost, not everyone is like that and rforsythe, I was kidding about the auto lock that doesnt exists. I was just painting a picture of how its pointless to let people comment, these all turn out the same.

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Quote Originally Posted by Mother Goose View Post

Here's what happened with mine, even though Jim already knows about it.... I went in to have my bike tuned when Clarkie was working there. That's all I went in for. As the service guy and I were walking out the door, I mentioned to him to tell Clarkie that I'm going to need to get my plugs changed soon, so if the numbers aren't quite right, that would be a good reason why and I'm planning on changing them that week. (I had just bought spark plugs from Grand Prix on our way down there.) The service guy wrote it down on his sheet. Kris and I go have lunch, do some running around, then head back to the shop and wait.

They let us know when it's done and told me the price, which was WAY over the quoted price for a dyno tune. The service guy told Clarkie to CHANGE MY PLUGS! I never told him to have them changed, he just wrote it down and told him to do it. Kris is pissed, I'm pissed, I even bring in the plugs to show him that I was going to do it myself, and why would I have them change it, if I had just bought a set?? Going back and forth with the service guy, he's getting mad at me saying that I had told him to change them, and that I had signed it off. So I ask him to take the plugs out and put back my original ones so I'm not charged for them. He laughs, I sit there serious about it. I don't want to pay for something that I didn't ask for. So finally, after going back and forth for about 10 minutes, he only charges me for parts for the plugs. I'm still not happy, because money was tight at the time, and I had enough saved for just the tune, and I bought the plugs with a gift card.

So that's my experience with Fay's service department. I only went there because I would only trust Clarkie to tune my R1. I think if he ever went back to work there, I wouldn't go back to Fay. Or at least not give them any info on what I need to do to my bike.
    And that right there folks is how a shop experience review is written!
    Last edited by rybo; Thu Sep 8th, 2011 at 10:50 AM.

Sounds like a lot of miscommunication, service writers tend to be busy and this one may have been inattentive as well, but really, I only ever tell them exactly what needs to be done and nothing more.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Sounds like a lot of miscommunication, service writers tend to be busy and this one may have been inattentive as well, but really, I only ever tell them exactly what needs to be done and nothing more.
    I was the only one in there. But yeah, learned from that one, for sure.

Apparently I am the "sniper shooter" since I posted the one liner.

Here's what happened both times.

Once, went into the parts department, I stood at counter for a bit, I was walked past and ignored quite a few times, lot's of trying to get their attention. So I gave up and went out to the parts sales floor to try and find it myself, I knew I wouldn't find what I needed (old school replacement levers for a cb/sl) ... hence why I wanted to ask them if they could order them, etc... anyway, I headed back to counter after not seeing them on the sales floor, once again I waited as people left for lunch, walked by, looked at me and turned around, etc... just basically ignored me, had to move to a new part of the parts counter to get help, finally I get someone to "talk" to ... he basically laughs at what I am looking for and says "good luck".

Second time, I should have known better too.... I went in looking at the new cbr250r, was told they didnt have any, left my info, a couple months later when all the local dealers started getting there second shipments of them they emailed me and offered a NON abs model at 5299$ (thats a 1300$ MARKUP FOR NO REASON) -- said that demand warranted the higher price. Also refused to let me test ride something "I clearly wasn't going to buy." --- so I immediately called up sun, got on one, test rode it and bought it for 1.9% apr and an MSRP of $3999 and half off the dealer fees. Sun did me right.

Clear enough? Not one line enough?
    Last edited by taikahn; Thu Sep 8th, 2011 at 12:22 PM.

Thank you all for the positive reviews, your support is much appreciated. It definitely is our number one goal to provide a great customer experience. When that does not happen I can only emphasize what others have said - let us know about it so we have a chance to resolve it. Talk to me or any of the other managers and we will take care of it!

Mother Goose, at this point a year later I can only apologize for what happened. It sounds like a simple miscommunication escalated into something it never should have. Once it was clear you had not asked for it we should have just taken it off the bill, laughing at your request was not right. If you are willing to give it another try we will take care of you.

Regarding the service department in general it is absolutely true that a few years ago there were issues and service was not the best. However we have been working very hard to correct that, both on the front end dealing with customers and in back with technician training. Without trying to turn this into a sales pitch, I will simply say that we have attained top certifications from all the brands we sell, an example of the commitment is we sent two techs to Italy to become Ducati Master Technicians.

If you have any questions feel free to ask

Quote Originally Posted by rforsythe View Post
    I can't speak to Fay service since I have done my own work for years, but recently a friend's new and very expensive Italian mistress ate a piston 50 miles on the clock after purchase. Fay showed up with a truck after hours, picked up his ride, took it back, and had a brand new bike (not the repaired one he already paid for) in his hands the next day. I've also been having good experiences there and have no issue giving them my money. They had a rocky couple years some time ago, but recognized it and have made sure it doesn't happen again.
    If I recall, it was just over 15 miles on the clock when it puked and left your friend on the side of the road 3 miles from home just in time for a nasty thunderstorm to downpour - after the shop was CLOSED. Sales guy answered his cell, scrambled to find a delivery guy that was not exactly in the area who was heading back to home base, and had him detour to the disaster. He picked the bike and wet rider up, dropped rider at home and they took care of bizness with a brand new bike as you described. I've since bought a generator there, lots of other stuff, and had a number of excellent service visits and warranty issues taken care of. Can't say enough good things.
    Race: #171 2008 Yamaha R6
    Street: 2010

Gold Member Yearly Supporter McVaaahhh's Avatar

I've always had good experiences in Fay at the parts department, and even the sales department even though I never bought a bike there...

I did have a bad experience with the service department, but as that's probably 5 years ago now, definitely not worth details, and it sounds like things have changed in that department.

Fay has always been open to supporting the club, and bike nights, and the MC community in general. If I still lived in Denver, I wouldn't hesitate to shop there.
    '02 RC-51 - Street
    '05 Pitster Pro 125 - Pitbike madness

Be polite. Be professional. But be prepared to kill everyone you meet.

"Motorcycles tell us a more useful truth: we are small and exposed, and probably moving too fast for our own good, but that's no reason not to enjoy every minute of the ride."
    ~Dave Karlotski

I had a very similar experience at a dealer back in Ohio, many years ago. I had a similar reaction to paying for spark plugs twice. Especially when my dealer charged me 3 times what I had paid for the exact same plugs. Thats about the same time that I started getting more serious about doing more of my own maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by Young Luke View Post
    If I recall, it was just over 15 miles on the clock when it puked and left your friend on the side of the road 3 miles from home just in time for a nasty thunderstorm to downpour - after the shop was CLOSED. Sales guy answered his cell, scrambled to find a delivery guy that was not exactly in the area who was heading back to home base, and had him detour to the disaster. He picked the bike and wet rider up, dropped rider at home and they took care of bizness with a brand new bike as you described. I've since bought a generator there, lots of other stuff, and had a number of excellent service visits and warranty issues taken care of. Can't say enough good things.
    I like reading this since I'll hopefully be buying a new Tuono from Fay soon.
    Last edited by ChrisCBX; Thu Sep 8th, 2011 at 04:27 PM.

I bought a a* wallet from P diddy to replace my worn fox wallet. After getting home I realized it didnt have the existing amount of storage as my old wallet!!! I stopped in a few days later with my receipt and was able to exchange it for a clean ass white troy lee hat!!!
    In all seriousness though Paul is the only guy I will deal with at Fays. Its hard to find people at mc shops that actually give a damn about the customer and have knowledge... or will take the time to investigate if they're not 100% sure!

(ps the above wallet/hat tale is true

I worked a part-time job at Fay in the Finance Dept back in 2003. A fair number of their staff is still there eight years later. I think that says something.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Quote Originally Posted by FZRguy View Post
    I worked a part-time job at Fay in the Finance Dept back in 2003. A fair number of their staff is still there eight years later. I think that says something.
    Except A-dub and Jessica!

Quote Originally Posted by longrider View Post
    Mother Goose, at this point a year later I can only apologize for what happened. It sounds like a simple miscommunication escalated into something it never should have. Once it was clear you had not asked for it we should have just taken it off the bill, laughing at your request was not right. If you are willing to give it another try we will take care of you.
    You've always been cool, so the parts area is a place I would go to again, I wouldn't go out of my way, since I live in Arvada, but you know what I mean.

I was hoping he'd take the whole thing off, but he wouldn't budge. He said that I signed it off, so I have to pay for it. Even though he wrote it down after I had signed and we were walking out the door to show him where my bike was. I don't remember the guy's name, but I remember his face.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezzzzy1 View Post
    Except A-dub and Jessica!
    Jess was a brand new noob then. Good to see she stuck with it. I think Joe and some of the other salesmen have been there forever.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Quote Originally Posted by FZRguy View Post
    Jess was a brand new noob then. Good to see she stuck with it. I think Joe and some of the other salesmen have been there forever.
    Joe? Dude, what about Gary? He's been there since Fay himself ran the place...
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

"Now you have a friend in the motorcycle business: . Just off Arapahoe road on Dayton Street, one half mile east of I-25. Open every night Monday through Friday 'til 8. Saturday and Sunday 'til 5."

+1 fay parts. Paul had gone out of his way multiple times to help me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezzzzy1 View Post
    "Now you have a friend in the motorcycle business: . Just off Arapahoe road on Dayton Street, one half mile east of I-25. Open every night Monday through Friday 'til 8. Saturday and Sunday 'til 5."
    If you are going to modify their slogan at least get our hours right Tues - Sat 9 to 6

I have always thought being next door is a good thing. (This is just a personal comment and not as a representative of the store) Not so much for making the sale but for the buyer. Imagine this conversation:

Husband: Honey , lets go look at motorcycles
    Wife: Why would you want a motorcycle? They are expensive, dangerous and impractical
    Husband: After we get the bike, we can walk next door and get a diamond
    Wife: Lets GO!!!

Does anyone know if Gary Merrel is still with Faye as he was there when they were still on Alameda?
    In Memory of my Pal Ike. Riding in the wind will never be the same without you!
    Chunky Beast Racing
    01 Turbo Busa#B813 8.6 @170.98 mph Bandimere
    Semi finalist Street Bike ET 2017 Bandimere
    1st Place Coys Street Machine ShowDown 2015
    1st Place Dragster Challenge 2013 Julesburg, CO
    1st Place Dragster Challenge 2012 Julesburg, COl
    1st Place Friday Night Drags 2011 Pueblo, CO
    1st Place Dragster Challenge 2011 Pueblo, CO
    2017 SPONSORS
    A.P.E American Performance Engineering
    Diversity Cycles

Quote Originally Posted by Husky View Post
    Does anyone know if Gary Merrel is still with Faye as he was there when they were still on Alameda?
    Yes he is, he works 11 to 6 and his desk is next to the elevator in the showroom.

I was in Fay on Tuesday and was both surprised and happy to see that you're still there, Paul!

I've never had a bad experience at Fay Myers and I appreciate how much they have contributed to the community over the years, hosting ladies nights, donating their meeting area for R2SL meetings, etc. Good people there.

------------------------
    Student Driver Racing / My Little Pony Racing
    Aerobics instructor seeks optical illusion...#502, baby

Quote Originally Posted by longrider View Post
    Yes he is, he works 11 to 6 and his desk is next to the elevator in the showroom.
    Thats awesome. I dont get out that way much but if you see Gary, please tell him Husky said hello. I use to work with him many moons ago at a bike shop called R.A.D (Rink A Dinks Yamaha) that was located on carr st. in Lakewood. I was a shag boy at the shop and Gary was a salesman even back than in the late 70's.
    In Memory of my Pal Ike. Riding in the wind will never be the same without you!
    Chunky Beast Racing
    01 Turbo Busa#B813 8.6 @170.98 mph Bandimere
    Semi finalist Street Bike ET 2017 Bandimere
    1st Place Coys Street Machine ShowDown 2015
    1st Place Dragster Challenge 2013 Julesburg, CO
    1st Place Dragster Challenge 2012 Julesburg, COl
    1st Place Friday Night Drags 2011 Pueblo, CO
    1st Place Dragster Challenge 2011 Pueblo, CO
    2017 SPONSORS
    A.P.E American Performance Engineering
    Diversity Cycles

Paul, thank you so much for taking the time to explain the different tire options for my Aprilia to me on Thu. I truly appreciate all your advice, patience, and the help of the parts department.