Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Decent Lap Tops?

Decent Lap Tops?

So I'm in the Market for a Lap Top any advice on what will be a good purchase?
    11 BMW S 1000 RR

Re: Decent Lap Tops?

Quote Originally Posted by SupermotoMJ View Post
    So I'm in the Market for a Lap Top any advice on what will be a good purchase?
    lenovo Thinkpad.

I'm going overseas, so I'm thinking I need a good durable wi fi friendly type of machine. I'm seeing a big selection at micro center.. but I've never owned or know what to look for.
    11 BMW S 1000 RR

I'm sure I'll get stepped on for saying this, but I love my mac. I've only rebooted it 4 times in the past four years and have never had an issue. Picks up tons of wifi, great screen for vids/movies and the whole operating system is super friendly. Sorry, can't help to much with info on pc laptops. GL
    Last edited by Sean; Wed Sep 14th, 2011 at 09:43 PM.

Mac Books are pretty expensive. you can get an I7 set up for like half the price..
    11 BMW S 1000 RR

I'm going overseas, so I'm thinking I need a good durable wi fi friendly type of machine. I'm seeing a big selection at micro center.. but I've never owned or know what to look for.
    I'd look in to a thinkpad T420, or T520, depending on what size screen you want.

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter t_jolt's Avatar

http://www.xoticpc.com/

ASUS all the way. 2 year warranty and a year accidental coverage for free.
    No one can top that

Tyrel
    Mitsujagvettecedes 1000RXTS GTR

Hand built by Jerry Garcia, Dan Gurney, Chuck Norris and Duntov's ghost. GT97 turbo,
    8WD, berilium pistons, titanium rods, unobtanium crank. Block forged from the dead souls of Mongol warriors. Depleted Uranium Dog box, Flubber tires, and stage 87 axles.

-1.07 @5.7c

I'm going to need it before the 26th of Sep so online purchase might not go well.
    11 BMW S 1000 RR

Local jerk Yearly Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    I'm sure I'll get stepped on for saying this, but I love my mac. I've only rebooted it 4 times in the past four years and have never had an issue. Picks up tons of wifi, great screen for vids/movies and the hole operating system is super friendly. Sorry, can't help to much with info on pc laptops. GL
    Mac FTMFW!!!!!!!

There's a reason they are expensive you get what you pay for!

My daily driver is a sony and my designer is a mac. They dont work all that great together but i love the built in bluetooth of the sony and the security of the mac.

If you are creative i would say mac, if you are rad then i would say sony.

I've owned my first Macbook for over a year now. Having gotten a new Lenovo laptop at work, the thought of lugging it around overseas pains me greatly. If you aren't editing video or playing heavy-duty games, get thee to the Mac store and see what you think of the MacBook Air.
    2015 KTM 1290R (Black)

Need more details on why you want a laptop. Network browsing, reading e-mail, light writing? Get a tablet. Get a bluetooth keyboard if you're doing a moderate amount of writing. Need more accessibility to the system to transfer files, a bit more power, reliability? MacBook Air. Need a heavy duty workhorse? MacBook Pro.

I have a MacBook Pro for my work laptop. When I spec'd it out, I also spec'd out a similarly equipped Lenovo and found the Mac was $600 cheaper.

Carl

Long Distance Gear Checklist 2002 Hayabusa - Now with 100,000+ miles!

Quote Originally Posted by dm_gsxr View Post
    Need more details on why you want a laptop. Network browsing, reading e-mail, light writing? Get a tablet. Get a bluetooth keyboard if you're doing a moderate amount of writing. Need more accessibility to the system to transfer files, a bit more power, reliability? MacBook Air. Need a heavy duty workhorse? MacBook Pro.

I have a MacBook Pro for my work laptop. When I spec'd it out, I also spec'd out a similarly equipped Lenovo and found the Mac was $600 cheaper.

Carl
    http://shoplenovo.i2.com/SEUILibrary...AffinityPortal

If you are paying more than a mac for a lenovo you're doing it wrong, way, way wrong.

15-inch: 2.2 GHz
    2.2GHz quad-core
    Intel Core i7
    4GB 1333MHz
    750GB 5400-rpm1
    Intel HD Graphics 3000
    AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 1GB GDDR5
    Built-in battery (7 hours)2
    In Stock
    Free Shipping
    $2,199.00

With the "high res" 1680x1050" screen=$2,349.00

Intel Core i7-2720QM Processor (2.20GHz, 6MB L3)1
    Genuine Windows 7 Professional 6412
    15.6" FHD (1920 x 1080) LED Backlit Anti-Glare Display, Mobile Broadband Ready
    NVIDIA Quadro 1000M Graphics with 2GB DDR3 Memory
    8 GB PC3-10600 DDR3 SDRAM 1333MHz SODIMM Memory (2 DIMM)8
    UltraNav with TrackPoint & touchpad plus Fingerprint reader
    500 GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm4
    DVD recordable multiburner5
    9 cell Li-Ion Battery - 55++60
    Bluetooth 3.0
    ThinkPad b/g/n10
    Integrated Mobile Broadband - Upgradable65

$1580
    Last edited by laspariahs; Thu Sep 15th, 2011 at 08:11 AM.

If you don't mind a refurbished or scratch and dent then go to http://www.dell.com/outlet

I bought my last Dell PC there and stated it had a "scratch an/or dent", but I received it and could not find anything wrong. Over a year later and still works like a champ. Just had my mom buy a laptop from there and same thing; great computer
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

Where are you going? Will you be living on the economy? How long will you be overseas?

Reason I ask, in some cases in might be cheaper to buy it overseas and to buy an internet and phone package to get a discount for the laptop. Similar to buying a cell phone with a 1 or 2 yr contract in the US.
    For example, you can save 400-500 Euros on a decent laptop if you buy a 2 yr internet/phone contract. Laptop prices are a bit higher over here, but with this combo deal, cheaper compared to Best Buy.
    Last edited by Ninja2; Thu Sep 15th, 2011 at 08:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja2 View Post
    Where are you going? Will you be living on the economy? How long will you be overseas?
    Good questions. Or, if you are going to be in one country only, (if I remember correctly) the constant electrical current can vary. Especially in places like India, China and SE Asia. Buying a cheaper laptop there can save damage to a nice computer bought here.

Good questions. Or, if you are going to be in one country only, (if I remember correctly) the constant electrical current can vary. Especially in places like India, China and SE Asia. Buying a cheaper laptop there can save damage to a nice computer bought here.

Not particularly a huge concern for laptops. The transformer can run on 120 or 240 at either 50 or 60 hertz, and it (along with the batteries) act as a buffer if there are any hiccups in the local power supply.

Quote Originally Posted by Penadam View Post
    Not particularly a huge concern for laptops. The transformer can run on 120 or 240 at either 50 or 60 hertz, and it (along with the batteries) act as a buffer if there are any hiccups in the local power supply.
    Is it mainly for desktop's? And again, my info was from the mid to late 90's, so things may have changed, depending on the areas.

Is it mainly for desktop's? And again, my info was from the mid to late 90's, so things may have changed, depending on the areas.
    Yeah, and anything that comes with a built-in transformer in the power cord, like laptops and camera chargers, etc. I am running 220 right now for 110 laptop. Only need an adapter plug to fit the outlet. The power cord does the rest. Won't work with other appliance that you plug in with regular power cord, such as vacuum, blender, coffee maker, etc.

I hate Dell laptops. Had 2 of them shit out on me in the past 5 years. One of them the screen got so messed up, I ended up snapping the screen off like Hulk.

Quote Originally Posted by vort3xr6 View Post
    I hate Dell laptops. Had 2 of them shit out on me in the past 5 years. One of them the screen got so messed up, I ended up snapping the screen off like Hulk.
    Weird, because they have been the only ones that didn't give me issues. Think my Dell laptop is over 5 years old and still going strong and my desktop Dell has never given me one issue since I bought it.
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

Senior Member Yearly Supporter Nooch's Avatar

Not HP

Not Dell

Cant comment on Mac since Ive never owned one and I despise Apple in general.

I like ASUS and Toshiba. My current ASUS has gone through hell and back and still works and looks like new. And Toshiba consistently has some of, if not THE lowest hardware fail rates of all the laptop manufacturers (Macs excluded).

I also really like Newegg and Microcenter. Theyve both bent over backwards to help me out of some jams over the years. My customer loyalty is high with both of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Nooch View Post
    I also really like Newegg and Microcenter. Theyve both bent over backwards to help me out of some jams over the years. My customer loyalty is high with both of them.
    this... I like Mocrocenter.

go down there and talk to them. If you hit them up mid week, they have lots of time to find the right machine for you.
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by laspariahs View Post
    http://shoplenovo.i2.com/SEUILibrary...AffinityPortal

If you are paying more than a mac for a lenovo you're doing it wrong, way, way wrong.
    If I get a moment I can pop out and spec it out again. Prices do change over time (this was from last year). I am using a 17" MacBook Pro if that makes a difference. But it was $600 cheaper than a comparable Lenovo.

Amusing. Your link is for the Student/Employee discounted Lenovo's. Not a real fair comparison.

I tried to come up with a matching system configuration. Since things move forward, it isn't a perfect match.

Base price of the Lenovo was $3,540, sale price $2,609. The after ecoupon price is $2,348.

The price of a similarly equipped MacBook Pro (as close as I can) is $2,649.

Last year there was a 17" Lenovo and Apple still had the system I currently have up for sale so I could compare. Even so, you can see similar 15" machines with Lenovo running pretty high before all the sale prices are calculated in.

Carl

Long Distance Gear Checklist 2002 Hayabusa - Now with 100,000+ miles!