Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Study Shows Marijuana Makes You Lose Weight

New Study Shows Marijuana Makes You Lose Weight

People who smoke marijuana regularly are less likely to be obese than non-pot smokers, according to a new study by French researches.
    “We found that cannabis users are less likely to be obese than non-users,” Dr. Yann Le Strat, French psychiatrist and co-author of a new study in the American Journal of Epidemiology told MSNBC. “We were so surprised, we thought we had [made] a mistake.”
    Using data from two epidemiologic studies of U.S. adults, researchers found that between 22% to 25% of participants who didn’t smoke pot were obese.

But only between 14% and 17% of those people who admitted to taking a toke at least three times a week were overweight.
    Le Strat said other factors, such as the stoners’ level of physical activity or diets, could have contributed to the results, but his team tried to rule out those factors.
    The researches were also quick to point out that sucking on a bong isn’t the key to a tight tummy.
    “The take-home message is certainly not ‘smoke cannabis, it will help you lose weight,’” Le Strat said. “The possibility that cannabis is associated with a lower risk of obesity remains an interesting hypothesis, but certainly does not counterbalance its negative effects on health and mental health.”

http://theonlinehealthjournal.com/ne...u-lose-weight/
    http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/conten...wr200.abstract
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

AKA "Devaclis"

Re: New Study Shows Marijuana Makes You Lose Weight

Now, I am not an anti-weed advocate. I like it. It's fun. BUT, the research here is a bit suspect:

"Le Strat said other factors, such as the stoners’ level of physical activity or diets, could have contributed to the results, but his team tried to rule out those factors."

So those have zero bearing on a tokers weight? Exercise and diet has NOTHING to do with being a fat fuck or a skinny person? Weather you smoke or not, you still have dietary and physical habbits that influence your level of lard.

I am pretty sure they were high while performing this research and I am sure they used some of the money to buy weed and twinkies. And they did not share with ME!

Weed makes ya skinnay!!

First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Smoke on smokers

Quote Originally Posted by Devaclis View Post
    "Le Strat said other factors, such as the stoners’ level of physical activity or diets, could have contributed to the results, but his team tried to rule out those factors."
    Now even that is kind of against what people label as "stoners"; lazy and sit around eating junk food.

I used to smoke a little before the gym. Was almost better than a pre workout for me.

AKA "Devaclis"

Beefcake, BEEFCAKE!!! lol I know a bunch of peeps that you would never know were stoners.

Bake on Bakers /Scer
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Quote Originally Posted by Keyser Soze View Post
    I used to smoke a little before the gym. Was almost better than a pre workout for me.
    Funny because I had a personal trainer tell me it was ok and encouraged to smoke weed before going to the gym because it helps concentration and great for muscle soreness. My friend told me it did help and was even better with some Jack3d; perfect focus and energy

Quote Originally Posted by Devaclis View Post
    Beefcake, BEEFCAKE!!! lol I know a bunch of peeps that you would never know were stoners.

Bake on Bakers /Scer
    They must use visine

Only hippies and gypsys smoke weed. Psssffhht
    KX65
    Dizzer
    929 - Yard Sale'd

Quote Originally Posted by Zach929rr View Post
    Only hippies and gypsys smoke weed. Psssffhht
    Agree, smoking is so primitive with all the advances in technology

Against drugs 100% but to each its own.
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR
    2024 Aprilia Tuono Factory Ultra Gold

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    Funny because I had a personal trainer tell me it was ok and encouraged to smoke weed before going to the gym because it helps concentration and great for muscle soreness. My friend told me it did help and was even better with some Jack3d; perfect focus and energy
    I call BS, if I'm high and at the gym, all I want to do is GTFO
    I have no idea what you're talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleev View Post
    I know people that do it daily and work out 6 days a week for at least an hour a day. They are ripped and less than 10% body fat; not saying from the weed, but I guess some people can handle the gym while high and get good results (and yes some are 100% legal with their Medical cards, so no worries).

Quote Originally Posted by Sleev View Post
    That's you. Everyone reacts differently to different substances. Shit I have a buddy that drinks a redbull before he goes to sleep.

Gold Member Yearly Supporter McVaaahhh's Avatar

I know MMA fighters that smoke up and then go training.

Although, it was amusing to watch them hack up a ton of shit on a 5-mile run.
    '02 RC-51 - Street
    '05 Pitster Pro 125 - Pitbike madness

Be polite. Be professional. But be prepared to kill everyone you meet.

"Motorcycles tell us a more useful truth: we are small and exposed, and probably moving too fast for our own good, but that's no reason not to enjoy every minute of the ride."
    ~Dave Karlotski

Senior Member cptschlongenheimer's Avatar

That's you. Everyone reacts differently to different substances. Shit I have a buddy that drinks a redbull before he goes to sleep.
    +1
    Pot makes me unable to sit still. I keep a clean house, but it was spotless when I used to smoke.
    89 EX500 RIP
    06 R6S RIP
    03 R6

Quote Originally Posted by McVaaahhh View Post
    I know MMA fighters that smoke up and then go training.

Although, it was amusing to watch them hack up a ton of shit on a 5-mile run.
    See post #9 on here for the cure!

So you still training with MMA guys in AZ now?

Exactly! Then I know people that have drank one Red Bull and thought they were going to have a heart attack. Just like cigarettes, first time I tried them I hated them and could not understand it, then had friends smoke cigs and loved it.

Someone should do a study about how many people die in the Mexican drug war for every pound of weed smoked, that includes the "domestically" produced weed.

Quote Originally Posted by laspariahs View Post
    Someone should do a study about how many people die in the Mexican drug war for every pound of weed smoked, that includes the "domestically" produced weed.
    Well I highly doubt people are ever going to stop, so the solution is to make it legal and the drug cartels would crumble (well except for cocaine profits). Tax it and use the money for things to help the country. Look at California; it pretty much got them out of debt and Colorado is not far behind with all the taxes we get from it. I am against hardcore drugs, but I feel weed is no more harmfull than cigarettes and alcohol; all which bring in loads of tax dollars and stop these stupid Mexican drug wars!

Maybe stoners have it figured out? Instead of eating large meals, they simply "graze" throughout the day. ie: having the munchies Thus, keeping their metabolism going and consistant, in stead of spiking it twice a day. Just a thought.

Interesting research, yes. Slightly flawed reserch, I'm afraid so. Either way, thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Maybe stoners have it figured out? Instead of eating large meals, they simply "graze" throughout the day. ie: having the munchies Thus, keeping their metabolism going and consistant, in stead of spiking it twice a day. Just a thought.

Interesting research, yes. Slightly flawed reserch, I'm afraid so. Either way, thanks for sharing.
    Even that small change in a diet can do wonders! Twice a day makes the body store fat, but eating every two hours makes it proccess the fat and store very little. When we eat once or twice a day the body never knows when it will get "fuel" again, so stores it as fat. I've been doing this nearly 5 years now...

Even that small change in a diet can do wonders! Twice a day makes the body store fat, but eating every two hours makes it proccess the fat and store very little. When we eat once or twice a day the body never knows when it will get "fuel" again, so stores it as fat. I've been doing this nearly 5 years now...
    And that's why I brought it up. But just as important, and even more important, is the fuel you put into your body on a regular basis (which is where the "joke" aspect to my post came into play). I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that the majority of habitual pot smokers don't grab fruit, lean meats or almonds when they get the munchies.

Gold Member Yearly Supporter McVaaahhh's Avatar

So you still training with MMA guys in AZ now?
    Unfortunately no. There's really not much time for me to schedule much of anything, just trying to make it into the gym as much as possible. I really miss it though, was awesome training!
    '02 RC-51 - Street
    '05 Pitster Pro 125 - Pitbike madness

Be polite. Be professional. But be prepared to kill everyone you meet.

"Motorcycles tell us a more useful truth: we are small and exposed, and probably moving too fast for our own good, but that's no reason not to enjoy every minute of the ride."
    ~Dave Karlotski

Pot makes me unable to sit still.
    its the opposite for me.....so i leave it alone...

i miss pot