Thread: Busted off Slider

Busted off Slider

So, I may be stupid but I have a busted off Slider on the right side of the bike. When it busted, it bent a bit as well. Now, I need to get the rest of the bolt out so I can replace it. Any thoughts? I don't know where to start, I can't budge it out at this point. BTW, it did it's job!
    03 GSXR 750

More details or a picture please: Did the slider break off leaving the entire bolt (albeit bent) behind? Or did the bolt break? If the bolt broke, how much (if any) is left sticking out of the hole?

I'll get pics up tonight but yes, the bolt bent and broke inside. I'd guess there's about a 1/2" piece sticking out prior to the threads. On the backside, there's about 1/4" coming out of the threads. Either way, I'll get some pics up. Thanks.
    03 GSXR 750

If there's some of the bolt sticking out, and vice-grips don't work, maybe you can try cutting a groove for a screwdriver.

Re: Busted off Slider

I like spidermans Idea or grinding some of the 'roundness off it' to get a grip on it with channel locks.

.. and possibly in extreme case weld a NUT to it from the inside of the nut so you can/could get a ratchet on it. Or if you can get two nuts on it put 2 on and try to back the slider bolt out using the second nut.

Or cut the remaining off (since it's bent) and then drill it out starting with a very small bit.

Just throwing out idea's but haven't ran into that so not sure if it'll work.
    (brain storming) Good luck!

If there is 1/2 inch sticking out grab that Sum a Biotch with some vicegrips and turn it out. If you can't and the vicegrips are holding then put on the vicegrips grab them with a pair of vicegrips and turn.

Lurch
    MRA #retired

Thanks all! Just to clarify though, on the GSXR there is a sleeve that the bolt goes through and it was a 1/2" inside that sleeve. So, I couldn't get the vice grips even in there to grab it. Also, with only a 1/4" on the back side, I couldn't grab there either. The bolt was supposed to be hardened steel (strenght and all) so I went and bought a carbide blade for my dremmel and tried Bob's idea of slotting it for a screwdriver. The dremmel barely went in far enough but alas, IT WORKED! Thanks Bob, looks like I'll be owing you a beer. Now to get a new bolt and fix it the rest of the way. Believe it or not, I've been trying to fix this since last October.
    03 GSXR 750

Quote Originally Posted by 3/4gixxer";p="211272
    The dremmel barely went in far enough but alas, IT WORKED!
    WOOT!!!

Thanks Bob, looks like I'll be owing you a beer.
    No worries. I'm glad it worked!

Believe it or not, I've been trying to fix this since last October.

So I'm whining again. Anyone know where to get a 10mm 1.25 picth bolt (I've found a couple 10mm 1.5 pitch)? I really don't want to spend $70-80 for a full set of sliders when I just need the friggin bolt that busted. I've tried Home Depot, Ace, Budge hardware (Longmont you know) and no one carries this. I swear, after 6 months trying to get the old one off, now it'll take 6 months to get a new one....sheeeeesh.
    03 GSXR 750

Resident Hater Site Admin Canuck's Avatar

Dude, get rid of the shitty Lockhart Phillips slider and buy a set of Vortex. You will save yourself allot of grief in the future.
    RIP Gene. You are a good friend that will be missed. I'm Gene Bazyl Bitch!!

AAA Metric

They're near downtown Denver, specifically near Kalamath & 3rd.