Page 52 of 78 FirstFirst ... 2424950515253545562 ... LastLast
Results 1,225 to 1,248 of 1858

Thread: CSC Gets Back into Shape 10/1/11

Re: CSC Gets Back into Shape 10/1/11

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    I tried doing laying-down, dumbbell fly's, one arm at a time. I felt that in my core!

Thanks for the tips. Maybe I'll order some after I finish the current container.

Couple of Q's:
    1. Do you mix with water or milk?
    2. Do you add anything else? (I usually put a banana in my vanilla shake)
    3. Which flavors are good for each of them?
    4. I know Neurocore is pre-workout; do you do the protein shale right after? Any other times?
    1. I use a mixture of milk and water. Put maybe a inch of milk then the rest water. I add the milk mainly for flavor because I like that milk shake type of drink over the watery shake. Lately I have been using coconut milk and that seems to work well. I am going to try some others like soy and rice next and see what I like. If I have access to ice I sometimes put that in also to thicken it up.

2. Since I drink so many of these I try to play around and see what tastes good in them. I use a variety of frozen fruit (mixed fruit, strawberries, bluberries, mangos, pineaplle, etc). I buy them in bulk from Costco and prefer the frozen fruit and blend it all up and it becomes a thick shake. I always use vanila, banana, or pina colada protein flavors to mix the fruit with. Other than fruit I put other things in there to keep it from getting boring. With my Mocha chocolate protein I sometimes add coffee in there (poor it over ice first to cool it down). My office has a bunch a flavored coffe so I experiment what tastes good. I also steal some of my girls flavored coffee creamers now and then to spice it up also. I love that Almond Joy coffee creamer added to chocolate protein.

3. On flavors I relly only know Dymatize Elite Isolate protein since that is the one I have used for years. Favorite flavor is the mocha chocolate. There chocolate fudge is also good. Vanila, smooth banana, berry blast, and Pina Colada are the ones one I like. I've bought the Butter Toffee and use that to mix with the chocolate flavors to change things up. Really Dymatize Elite Isolate has been one of the best tasting protein I have tried and all the flavors I have tried have been good

4. The most important time to drink protein is within half a hour after you stop working out! Always drink a shake right after you get out of the gym because that is when your body needs it most for repairing. This is a good time to add fresh fruit too, because the natural sugars will help with soreness and repairing. I drink a shake for breakfast (with oatmeal), and another one two hours later for a snack. Eat lunch, then two hours later drink another shake. I don't drink one right before I go to the gym since I usually take that or my lunch about 2 hours from when I start lifting. I just use Neurocore before my workout and that works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by 3D View Post
    Not quite yet. The wife just had the baby Friday morning so I'm outta the gym for about a week, maybe 2. I'm still looking at May of next year for my first show. It should give me plenty of time to bulk up a bit more and work on my trouble parts.
    Wow, congrats man on the new baby
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

I found a pic from Bulldog's first competition. Can you guess which one he is?

What a funny pic! WTF is that guy doing there; never seen such a awkward looking guy in a competition. Well since you asked I am the guy in the white shorts

Hey I would be happy to be any of the tanned guys! Even though they are not pro material, getting to where they are at is hard enough. And actually I was way skinnier than the pale guy when I started working out; I say that guy is maybe 150lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    Wow, congrats man on the new baby
    No worries man, we're all friends here. Thanks for the input.

btw: Congrats on the new kid!
    Thanks, it's been a crazy weekend, but the best of my life....

I found a pic from Bulldog's first competition. Can you guess which one he is?

Wow, Bulldog has a lot of work cut out for him.... Classic pic. The funny thing is, aside from no muscle tone, he has on a spray tan and still looks white as hell. I give him some props for trying, but whoever he listened to that told him he was ready should be beaten with a bag of frozen steaks.

Quote Originally Posted by 3D View Post
    Wow, Bulldog has a lot of work cut out for him.... Classic pic. The funny thing is, aside from no muscle tone, he has on a spray tan and still looks white as hell. I give him some props for trying, but whoever he listened to that told him he was ready should be beaten with a bag of frozen steaks.
    Guy has to be blind or never attended a competition till that day. Has to be a joke!

Although from the numerous people I talk to that tell me they are in good shape, but can't do 10 pullups to save their life, I would not put it past someone to overrate themsleves.

Ugh...i think running is the worst thing in the world lol

i'm tryin to get up to a nice 8 min pace for 3 miles nonstop before tough mudder.

I'm up to 2 miles after a week of running (i run on my off days from lifting)

Also, heres my 12 week pic (60 workout days back)...not as big of a difference as my day 1 to 6 weeks but noticeably bigger than the 6 week one...

Dang, looking lean man! Great progress IMO

I broke my hip years ago and have never been able to run since then because of all the impact it puts on the damaged hip. I've been stuck running with eliptical machines for years because of it, but still manage about 8 miles a week on high incline and resistance. About 2 miles a day too and I also hate it and it is the worst part of my routine. I think cardio is needed though, especially for the heart, so good for you on doing it! Too many weighlifters slack on it and most ladies love a guy with good abs

P.S. Careful the haters will come out and make fun of the "mirror shot" because they are jealous and think it didn't take us tons of hard work to accomplish good fitness. Wouldn't it be more gay if it was not a mirror shot and a professional photo session instead

Thanks a lot, man...definitely gonna keep at it so we'll see where we can get in another 12 weeks

How'd you break the hip???

I absolutely hate to run haha...only reason i'm doing it is for the tough mudder event but now that i'm getting back at it i'm still going to continue the 3 mile run on off days even after the event because i agree its good for you and needed.

haha...eh, it is what it is...only way to take benchmark/progress pics is the mirror lol. I could of course do a few duckface self shots though. And yeah...i'm thinkin it'd be a bit worse to schedule a photoshoot or have a buddy come over to take the pic for me lol

well, I'm still at it. Lifting 5 days a week and usually taking weekends off to do fun shit. I'm really having a good time and seeing some positive results. Nothing like Owen R6, but I'm on my way. Lately I've really been trying to find a good balance of weights to lift. ie: am I lifting to light, to heavy etc. On some exercises I've been shocked how much I can lift, I just wasn't because...not sure why.

I still do a cardio warm up, but that's about all for cardio. I am trying to push myself even on that. I'm pretty comfy doing a mile at a 7:30 pace on a treadmill. I'd like to get to a 6:30 pace and then try and go for longer.

Nate- you still cutting? Aren't you going to Cancun soon?

And for those of you that don't waste time on the Chive, they had a thread about Nate's roommate. I can only assume they mean Bulldog, and not some random person named Nate in the world.

Clicky the linky

Local jerk Yearly Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Owen_R6 View Post
    Thanks a lot, man...definitely gonna keep at it so we'll see where we can get in another 12 weeks

I absolutely hate to run haha...only reason i'm doing it is for the tough mudder event but now that i'm getting back at it i'm still going to continue the 3 mile run on off days even after the event because i agree its good for you and needed.

haha...eh, it is what it is...only way to take benchmark/progress pics is the mirror lol. I could of course do a few duckface self shots though. And yeah...i'm thinkin it'd be a bit worse to schedule a photoshoot or have a buddy come over to take the pic for me lol

Have you gotten your special shoes and clothing for tough mudder yet?

Nice! Getting these result is what makes this get addicting and crazy to see how you can change your body for the better. Plus the added strength!!! When I first started lifting my goal was to be able to bench press my body weight, but not I just achieved the goal of bicep curling my body weight (180lbs). My plan is to keep doing this till the day I die so will be wild to see what I achieve.

I broke the hip in a car accident. Long story short some friends and I flipped a Jeep on a rural road. I was one of those miracle cases where I should have been dead from lack of oxygen since I was trapped underneath the Jeep for about 20 minutes; saw the “lights” and all that people talk about. Sad thing is my 17 year old cousin that was with me didn’t survive the crash. Was a huge eye opener on how easy life can change…

Yeah most bodybuilders I know that take it serious take benchmark pics. Weight is alright to measure if your goal it to lose weight, but really weight becomes irrelevant and a horrible way to judge progress so the pics help. Keep up the good work man! Nice to know other people are putting in the hard work like I am (and a few others on the site) and are getting results

well, I'm still at it. Lifting 5 days a week and usually taking weekends off to do fun shit. I'm really having a good time and seeing some positive results. Nothing like Owen R6, but I'm on my way. Lately I've really been trying to find a good balance of weights to lift. ie: am I lifting to light, to heavy etc. On some exercises I've been shocked how much I can lift, I just wasn't because...not sure why.

I still do a cardio warm up, but that's about all for cardio. I am trying to push myself even on that. I'm pretty comfy doing a mile at a 7:30 pace on a treadmill. I'd like to get to a 6:30 pace and then try and go for longer.

Nate- you still cutting? Aren't you going to Cancun soon?
    Glad you are still at it Sean and enjoying it! Yeah sometimes it is cool to see how much you can lift when you thought you never could before! They say sometimes it is all in your head...hence ex Mr. Olympia Ronnie with his saying "light weight" Believe me this is the result of all the hard work you have put in; muscles just seem to keep getting stronger and stronger and you don't realize it till you are curiling small cars

I am still going to Cancun at the end of July. Not even sure what I am doing anymore when it comes to cutting or gaining. I guess I have just been maintaining now and not really done either on purpose. My goal has been to gain but stay lean, so just been doing that. Recently been doing my workouts lifting up to as heavy as I can and then after doing that same exercise with lower weight till fail. Been getting me really sore and seems to be adding strength/size while staying lean and shocking my muscles with the change.

And for those of you that don't waste time on the Chive, they had a thread about Nate's roommate. I can only assume they mean Bulldog, and not some random person named Nate in the world.

Clicky the linky
    Wow, that is not me since I have no roommates, but seriously could be! Even right now my buddy Dave (Hoopty) gets hounded by me when he misses our workout sessions or shows up late! I expect any day now he will start to leave me notes like this

Some friends appreciate it and others do not In the end I only try to help them out because when you get older it just gets harder and harder and not many people understand the true effects of a unhealthy body, but I am trying to lay off it since I see some friends do not appreciate the advice even when I am just trying to help..such is life….

Now I want to meet this other Nate, he may be my long lost twin brother I have always wanted!!!!!!
    Last edited by bulldog; Tue May 8th, 2012 at 08:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by grim View Post
    Have you gotten your special shoes and clothing for tough mudder yet?
    Not yet, man...i keep looking at what is best for this and havent decided on a pair yet. What shoes are you gonna be using??? Have you picked some up yet?

As for clothing...i'm just gonna do it in some nike shorts and a beater shirt...nothin special, there.

Nice! Getting these result is what makes this get addicting and crazy to see how you can change your body for the better. Plus the added strength!!! When I first started lifting my goal was to be able to bench press my body weight, but not I just achieved the goal of bicep curling my body weight (180lbs). My plan is to keep doing this till the day I die so will be wild to see what I achieve.

I broke the hip in a car accident. Long story short some friends and I flipped a Jeep on a rural road. I was one of those miracle cases where I should have been dead from lack of oxygen since I was trapped underneath the Jeep for about 20 minutes; saw the “lights” and all that people talk about. Sad thing is my 17 year old cousin that was with me didn’t survive the crash. Was a huge eye opener on how easy life can change…

Yeah most bodybuilders I know that take it serious take benchmark pics. Weight is alright to measure if your goal it to lose weight, but really weight becomes irrelevant and a horrible way to judge progress so the pics help. Keep up the good work man! Nice to know other people are putting in the hard work like I am (and a few others on the site) and are getting results

Yeah, man...i'm definitely there. I've got some pretty "out there" goals so we'll see if i can get there. Thats crazy to curl 180 haha...definitely not gonna get there any time soon.

Wow, thats crazy...i'm sorry about your cousin, man.

Do you have any tips for bench??? I consider it one of my worst exercises...

I just recently switched over to standard bar bench/incline/decline from dumbbells. I hurt my shoulder doing some 110's and decided to switch it up and go with the bar for the first time in 4 years haha. I've been doing it almost 2 weeks now.

On flat bench, i can do 225 3-4 times with help on a 5th.
    On incline, i can do 205 3-4 times with help on a 5th
    Decline i can do 245 3-4 times with help on a 5th.

My goal is to be able to rep 275 in flat bench, 245 in incline, and 295 in decline...each 5 times...and within 6-8 weeks.

I'm thinkin this is kind of a big goal for my size but am still gonna try for it...any help is much appreciated!

Not yet, man...i keep looking at what is best for this and havent decided on a pair yet. What shoes are you gonna be using??? Have you picked some up yet?

As for clothing...i'm just gonna do it in some nike shorts and a beater shirt...nothin special, there.
    Pickup a pair of the toe shoes at Dicks sporting goods for $30 they have a pretty thick bottom, they are lightweight, and the mud wont suck em off your feet.

For clothing if i were you i would invest in some under armor, my buddy who ran it for the last 3 years says a shirt is the worst thing you can do cause the mud sticks and cakes on and you add another 20lbs to lug around.

Yeah, man...i'm definitely there. I've got some pretty "out there" goals so we'll see if i can get there. Thats crazy to curl 180 haha...definitely not gonna get there any time soon.

Wow, thats crazy...i'm sorry about your cousin, man.

I just recently switched over to standard bar bench/incline/decline from dumbbells. I hurt my shoulder doing some 110's and decided to switch it up and go with the bar for the first time in 4 years haha. I've been doing it almost 2 weeks now.

My goal is to be able to rep 275 in flat bench, 245 in incline, and 295 in decline...each 5 times...and within 6-8 weeks.

I'm thinkin this is kind of a big goal for my size but am still gonna try for it...any help is much appreciated!
    If you want to make good gains, you should incorporate both barbell and dumbbell exercises into your chest routine. Do your barbell exercises first and then your dumbbell's (or vice versa). The reason is when you do barbell, you use your triceps as a secondary, dumbbells you use more bicep as a secondary. So when you switch from barbell to dumbbell, you are kinda "fresh" and will be able to work more chest this way. Also, if you are looking to gain more muscle and not so much mass right now, I'd suggest sticking to the higher reps in the 10-12 range. When you do low reps, you will gain mass, but not necessarily muscle mass. As far as pointers go, I'd say just make sure you are using good form. Go all the way to the chest and go up just short of locking out. Locking out is only good for benching competitions. When you lock out, you take the stress off of your muscle and transfer it to your joints. This could end bad over time.

My chest routine is this:
    Pre-Exhaust (superset dumbbell fly/incline fly/flat fly) 3 sets of 10-12
    Flat bench (barbell) 5 sets of 10-12
    Incline bench (barbell) 5 sets of 10-12
    Flat bench (dumbbell) 4 sets of 10-12
    Incline bench (dumbbell) 4 sets of 10-12
    Peck Deck Fly 4 sets of 10-12
    Cable Fly (low/med/high) 6 sets total (2 sets each) of 10-12

3D beat me to it and gave some good advice

All I will add is those seem to be some pretty good numbers on bench press for using a barbell. I don't see too many guys your weight able to bench 2, 45lb plates on each side (45x5 since bar weighs 45)! I'd say your bench press is pretty good man!

Bench press has always been my weakest area too. I was doing good on them till I tore a rotator cuff snowboarding a few seasons back. One thing I learned is rotator cuffs do not heal and take a long time to come back from that injury so my only advice is to be careful when benching a lot of weight to not mess them up.

I pretty much use dumbbells, barbells, cables, and machines to always confuse my chest muscles. Try different grips too!

Do you do chest flies?

Yessir...

i do both cable crossovers and dumbbell flies.

Now that i'm doing barbell bench, my normal routine is like this:

Flat bench: 5 sets of 5
    Incline bench: 5 sets of 5
    decline bench: 5 sets of 5
    dumbbell flys: 4 sets of 12
    cable cross: 4 sets of 12
    weighted dips (at the end of the workout using 45lb plate): 4 sets of 12

thats pretty much the majority, i may have missed one thing but cant think of it now so probably not all that important...

Thanks for the tips, guys...i may bring dumbbells back into the mix in the next couple weeks then. Especially if it'll help get my bench up.

I'd really like to rep 275 and max at 315 within 6-8 weeks...

3D beat me to it and gave some good advice

All I will add is those seem to be some pretty good numbers on bench press for using a barbell. I don't see too many guys your weight able to bench 2, 45lb plates on each side (45x5 since bar weighs 45)! I'd say your bench press is pretty good man!

Bench press has always been my weakest area too. I was doing good on them till I tore a rotator cuff snowboarding a few seasons back. One thing I learned is rotator cuffs do not heal and take a long time to come back from that injury so my only advice is to be careful when benching a lot of weight to not mess them up.

I pretty much use dumbbells, barbells, cables, and machines to always confuse my chest muscles. Try different grips too!

Do you do chest flies?

I cant do bench press I can do Dumbell press and chest flies though!!

Why is that?

i couldnt either because it was hard on my shoulder (dislocated my left one twice) but by starting with low weight and using correct form i was able to build up to where i am in just a week and a half...

Why is that?
    I am Missing part of my left Pectoral muscle to be exact i am missing the calvicular head of the pectoralis major muscle. You can see that it is missing and is quite disturbing sometimes.

Either way because it is missing my left pectoral will never be as strong as my right and i am unable to equally balance a straight bar with weights on it, my left arm will give out. however i can do free weights and when i do my max and ask for a spotter i always tell them to just watch my left side.

Fortunately there are many many ways to exercise your chest so its ok.

Now if you will excuse me i need to stuff these in my face right now.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Yesterdays workout was chest and was great i maxed out my free weight dumb bell chest press at 70lbs in each hand, was able to push out 4 reps, now the bad, on one of those reps my right wrist must have tweaked to the side because today it is fucked up to high hell. Cant rotate it for shit and it makes a really pretty clicking noise when moving up and down. Gotta see what the doc says tomorrow.

Pickup a pair of the toe shoes at Dicks sporting goods for $30 they have a pretty thick bottom, they are lightweight, and the mud wont suck em off your feet.

For clothing if i were you i would invest in some under armor, my buddy who ran it for the last 3 years says a shirt is the worst thing you can do cause the mud sticks and cakes on and you add another 20lbs to lug around.
    I was thinkin of pickin up those same pair of shoes...you've convinced me to do so haha.

As for the shirt, i didnt mean a normal t...i meant an underarmor T. Otherwise i was just gonna go shirtless so i didnt ruin anything but decided against that pretty quick.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Yesterdays workout was chest and was great i maxed out my free weight dumb bell chest press at 70lbs in each hand, was able to push out 4 reps, now the bad, on one of those reps my right wrist must have tweaked to the side because today it is fucked up to high hell. Cant rotate it for shit and it makes a really pretty clicking noise when moving up and down. Gotta see what the doc says tomorrow.
    thats no good man...is it the outside of your wrist? I've done that before when going real heavy...it goes away but its no fun at all. When that happened to me a few years ago (during one of my lifting phases) it took me outta commission for like a week or two.