Page 72 of 78 FirstFirst ... 226269707172737475 ... LastLast
Results 1,705 to 1,728 of 1858

Thread: CSC Gets Back into Shape 10/1/11

Re: CSC Gets Back into Shape 10/1/11

Go for it Dirk. Inquiring minds and all that jazz.

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

As I told Nate in PMs, running was a means to an end for me, rather than something I enjoyed in and of itself. It started as a way to become a better football player. In order to stay in shape outside of football season, I started running track and eventually settled into the 400m and mile relay for running events, in addition to the long and triple jumps. I liked challenges and did a double marathon once, just for the hell of it.

In college and grad school, I played soccer a lot. In grad school (at U. Florida) I got into cave diving and being in good shape enables you to reduce your oxygen usage so that you can dive longer. In cave diving, you have the rule of thirds: you and your buddy dive until one of you has used 1/3 of your air and then turn around and head out. I never wanted to be the one to hit 1/3 first. At UF is also where I got into martial arts pretty seriously. Those were good times.

After grad school I went off to Canada for a postdoc and going from Florida weather to Calgary weather (I arrived in September.) was a bit of a shock. That and the fact that I was working ~15 hour days 6 or 7 days a week took it's toll on my physical activity. I'd be at the observatory all night and at the university all day, with sleep when I could get it. If you want to play at the top level in astronomy, you have to put that sort of time into it when you're just out of school. In terms of numbers, it's probably like trying to make it to the NFL.

In recent years, roadracing was a motivation to be in better shape and I'd do a fair amount of bicycle riding and leg strength/endurance work (e.g. a couple hundred squats per day). Since I gave up racing because of recurring foot injuries, I haven't had anything pushing me, but lately I decided I wanted the challenge of getting myself into good enough shape to perhaps return to competitive running or maybe cycling. I'm now at the point that I can devote more time to physical activity and intend to do so.

As my mother likes to say "That's the story on that."
    Last edited by dirkterrell; Wed Mar 20th, 2013 at 01:33 PM.
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by dirkterrell View Post
    At UF is also where I got into martial arts pretty seriously. Those were good times.
    What kind of martial arts did you join in Florida?

Quote Originally Posted by j0ker View Post
    What kind of martial arts did you join in Florida?
    A style called Ninkido. It was developed by a guy there in Florida and is not widely known. It is a style developed for survival (rather than competition) and draws things from other styles. The name derives from Ninjitsu and Hapkido, but influences from Aikido, Karate, Judo and others are there. I think I really took to it because it fit my "learn as much as you can about something and find what works best for you" approach to complex activities.

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

A style called Ninkido. It was developed by a guy there in Florida and is not widely known. It is a style developed for survival (rather than competition) and draws things from other styles. The name derives from Ninjitsu and Hapkido, but influences from Aikido, Karate, Judo and others are there. I think I really took to it because it fit my "learn as much as you can about something and find what works best for you" approach to complex activities.
    Interesting. How long did you train with that group if you don't mind me asking?

Interesting. How long did you train with that group if you don't mind me asking?
    About 5 years.

--Thomas Jefferson

About 5 years.
    You are always welcome to come check us out if you have the itch.

I did see that post. What style(s) do you teach?

--Thomas Jefferson

I did see that post. What style(s) do you teach?
    I have rank in several styles and hold some level of black belt in Karate, TKD and Aikido. I started Karate when I was 8, TKD when I was 10 and Aikido when I was 18. Been going for around 38 years now.

I teach a mixed class that is about half Aikido and about half TKD with an eye toward realism, MMA and self-defense applications. The class is there for learning not for profit so all are pretty much welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Grim2.0 View Post
    Has anyone been sticking to their Diets/workout since this thread started?
    Always!

Down to running a 7:30 min/mile
    Finally able to do sets of unassisted pull-ups in different grips
    lots of mountain biking/trail running
    lots of core/balance/full-body exercises
    eating lots of veggies (with some ice cream and beer too)

And I feel great!

I have rank in several styles and hold some level of black belt in Karate, TKD and Aikido. I started Karate when I was 8, TKD when I was 10 and Aikido when I was 18. Been going for around 38 years now.

I teach a mixed class that is about half Aikido and about half TKD with an eye toward realism, MMA and self-defense applications. The class is there for learning not for profit so all are pretty much welcome.
    Awesome of you to offer this.

--Thomas Jefferson

yeah saw that too; awesome offer

My biggest thing is location. I live way down in Littleton and not sure I could commit to driving up there 3+ times a week. I just have a issue with hating driving

P.S. You name isn't Joe Warren right? Thought he owned that gym...although guess you said you just teach there.
    Last edited by bulldog; Wed Mar 20th, 2013 at 02:59 PM.
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    yeah saw that too; awesome offer

My biggest thing is location. I live way down in Littleton and not sure I could commit to driving up there 3+ times a week. I just have a issue with hating driving

P.S. You name isn't Joe Warren right? Thought he owned that gym...although guess you said you just teach there.
    The class I teach is ONLY on Saturday and soon to be Thursday as well. There are several other guys who teach out of there. I am NOT Joe (my name is Joel), but he does own part of the gym. All the gym owners are REALLY nice people!

The class I teach is ONLY on Saturday and soon to be Thursday as well. There are several other guys who teach out of there. I am NOT Joe (my name is Joel), but he does own part of the gym. All the gym owners are REALLY nice people!
    Cool, I just have heard about Joe and seen him on Bellator.

Glad to see you on the site Joel

Got sick couldn't workout for 4 days.....today's workout can go pound salt.

Got sick couldn't workout for 4 days.....today's workout can go pound salt.
    Bad season for it, been sick twice since January that forced me to take time off too. It's one downfall of weightlifting as your bodies immune system focuses on repairing the torn muscles leaving you more susceptible to sickness.

P.S. Also the kyrptonite you introduced me too is forcing me to drink more...and I blame you Grim...............WOODCHUCK SPRING CIDER!!!!!!!! Finally found some so bought like 3 six packs and so yummy...but so bad for you calorie wise

Started playing indoor soccer twice a week plus the MMA training twice a week and 12 hr work shifts, man am I getting my ass kicked! Lol
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

Quote Originally Posted by madvlad View Post
    Started playing indoor soccer twice a week plus the MMA training twice a week and 12 hr work shifts, man am I getting my ass kicked! Lol
    Prepare to lose weight and muscle with all that cardio....probably your goal though....nothing wrong with that.

I cut back to working out 3 times a week. My usual workout is running 2-3 miles @ 7:30 m/m for a warmup and then doing two sets, of three different bodyweight/crossfit type exercises. Lots of pullups, squat-thrusts and wall-ball based things. I don't want to be in a gym as much since it's so nice outside. I'd rather go do 10-15 miles on a mountain bike 3 times a week. Eating lots of veggies and whole grains. I feel great and haven't gotten sick yet.

Bad season for it, been sick twice since January that forced me to take time off too. It's one downfall of weightlifting as your bodies immune system focuses on repairing the torn muscles leaving you more susceptible to sickness.

P.S. Also the kyrptonite you introduced me too is forcing me to drink more...and I blame you Grim...............WOODCHUCK SPRING CIDER!!!!!!!! Finally found some so bought like 3 six packs and so yummy...but so bad for you calorie wise

Shit is good man.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Eating lots of veggies and whole grains. I feel great and haven't gotten sick yet.

Just wait till you have a kid, that changes fast!

:devil:

Shit is good man.
    You got me and my girl addicted! We've tried all their other flavors, but that one is still my favorite by far! Funny as was first cider I ever had that day you brought them!

As for working out, I have gone over my plateau and am making huge gains again. Just hope my body can hold out with all the super heavy lifting I have been doing; yesterday tendons started to hurt again so I bit worried. Been going to 6 reps to near max weight though.

And start lifting hard! As I said it happens from your body repairing muscle! That is how muscle gets bigger....you rip it and like a scar it comes back bigger! That does not happen from cardio/running and light lifting, so guys like Grim and I are going to be more susceptible. Not to mention 5 days a week; in 2 weeks I do more than a person who does 3 times a week does in three weeks with less repair time!

Also I live with a nurse who brings me back stuff.....so in similar boat as Grim with a kid, bringing back viruses.
    Last edited by bulldog; Wed Apr 3rd, 2013 at 09:37 AM.

Prepare to lose weight and muscle with all that cardio....probably your goal though....nothing wrong with that.
    Nah my goal is to gain strenght more than anything but I'm already skinny as hell compared to other times when I was 175+lbs and ripped!... I just do it more to stay in shape and also help me control blood sugars cause of diabetes.
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

True. I used to get sick a lot more when I taught kids all day long. Little germ machines!