Thread: Cottonwood Pass - Is AMAZING!

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter 64BonnieLass's Avatar

Cottonwood Pass - Is AMAZING!

Hi all,
    I just got back last night. I went to Gunnison over Monarch, which was awesome, (no ice in the shady spots and newly paved sweet road and turns). Parts of the hill are brilliant yellow and wonderful to see.

Did some family business off of Taylor River and came home through Taylor Canyon and over Cottonwood pass into Buena Vista. I must say it was phenomenal.

Anyone who knows that road, knows it's paved to the top from Buena, but the Taylor side can be a pain.

It was grated, and very few washboards, although some of the snake turns were wicked and bounced me around quite a bit. Oiled as well, so no to very little dust. There were at least 15 dirt bikes coming into Taylor that passed me as I was headed into Bueneee and about 6 touring guys that I saw on the road. One guy followed me on a Touring bike with a small trailer that he towed. (yea...screw that)...but I made sure he was okay to the top. There are still some deep ruts where the water "can" run, but it was dry and nice.

Ride it with caution, or long legs and it's fine. (Caution I have. Long legs...not so much)

Point is...the colors are amazing, the water on Rainbow Lake and on Taylor Lake is like glass, the mountains are truly Purple Mountains Majesty against all of the colors.

Do it if you can while the gettin' is good. I had the best time and I am soooo thankful that I did it.
    Last edited by 64BonnieLass; Mon Sep 26th, 2011 at 02:16 PM.
    "Keep that "what if" thought in the back of your mind; it's the angel on your shoulder balancing the devil in your right hand."

"There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those."

2005 SV650S Street

Re: Cottonwood Pass - Is AMAZING!

Cottonwood is great! I've ridden it a couple of times. It's even easier if you have big ol knobbie tires.

I might be tempted to head that way this Friday, since the forecast is looking nice.
    '16 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
    '12 Kawasaki Concours14 -
    Sold
    '08 Kawasaki Concours14 -
    Sold
    '05 Suzuki SV1000S - Sold
    '07 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 - Sold

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter 64BonnieLass's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Cottonwood is great! I've ridden it a couple of times. It's even easier if you have big ol knobbie tires.

Um, yea...knobbie's, that would be the "tip of the day" on that road. hahaha.

I've done that road many times before in the car (as Gunnison is where I was raised and went to school). Really, I knew better, but just HAD to do it.

I can only say I "envied" the boys on the dirt bikes coming into Taylor. They are all too tall for me though (the bikes AND the boys).

I had to change my panties at the mexican rest. we stopped at in Buena, but otherwise, what a wonderful day all the way around. Just GORGEOUS!!!!
    "Keep that "what if" thought in the back of your mind; it's the angel on your shoulder balancing the devil in your right hand."

"There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those."

2005 SV650S Street

Quote Originally Posted by BC14 View Post
    I might be tempted to head that way this Friday, since the forecast is looking nice.
    If you do, take Gunella Pass over, it should be completely paved by now (with a rough spot or two). I bet the view up there is getting good too. If you're willing to ride Cottonwood, this will be easier.

If you do, take Gunella Pass over, it should be completely paved by now (with a rough spot or two). I bet the view up there is getting good too. If you're willing to ride Cottonwood, this will be easier.
    Good suggestion Didn't realize it was paved up and over now.
    '16 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
    Sold
    Sold

Good suggestion Didn't realize it was paved up and over now.
    Georgetown to the top is all freshly paved. Going down to Grant is about 80% paved. There were a few parts that weren't paved, but they were as smooth as road, if I remember correctly. And if I'm wrong, make sure you're wearing a GoPro so I can see/hear you curse my name.

Georgetown to the top is all freshly paved. Going down to Grant is about 80% paved. There were a few parts that weren't paved, but they were as smooth as road, if I remember correctly. And if I'm wrong, make sure you're wearing a GoPro so I can see/hear you curse my name.
    I'll find you in person to "thank" you...
    '16 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
    Sold
    Sold

Cottonwood pass IS awesome! I love it there....we fish taylor park res a couple of times a year and go over that pass. What an amazing piece of CO, everyone should go see it. The road from the lake down towards Gunnison is beautiful too, its a colorado scenic highway.
    "Insert clever/inspirational quote here."

I have a couple of bikes, they are fun.

A month or two ago Guanella was NOT paved from Georgetown up to just past the reservoir. Beyond that it's very nice asphalt, then back to crap asphalt into Grant.

Guanella is now completely paved from Georgetown, all the way to the pass summit, and down to Geneva Park on the south side. If Jim Gordon, owner of the Tumbling River dude ranch stops protesting the paving work, the Grant side may eventually be paved as well. At this time, he is vocal with fears the wilderness "charm" of his ranch will be harmed by the presence of pavement. What's curious, is the Sierra Club sued to get the pass paved because of the dust/silt settling into Geneva Creek, a tributary of the North Fork of the South Platte, a main source of Denver drinking water. Thus the paving project began years ago... but the Geneva Creek area near Gordon's ranch is what remains unpaved!

And yes Cottonwood Pass, on both sides, is stunningly scenic, and superb to ride. A sport bike ridden easily and smoothly, can handle the west, or dirt side of the pass. Bring the camera! Can preview the conditions (August) here...

http://rmridervideo.com/?cat=40

Quote Originally Posted by sfarson View Post
    Guanella is now completely paved from Georgetown, all the way to the pass summit, and down to Geneva Park on the south side. If Jim Gordon, owner of the Tumbling River dude ranch stops protesting the paving work, the Grant side may eventually be paved as well. At this time, he is vocal with fears the wilderness "charm" of his ranch will be harmed by the presence of pavement. What's curious, is the Sierra Club sued to get the pass paved because of the dust/silt settling into Geneva Creek, a tributary of the North Fork of the South Platte, a main source of Denver drinking water. Thus the paving project began years ago... but the Geneva Creek area near Gordon's ranch is what remains unpaved!

And yes Cottonwood Pass, on both sides, is stunningly scenic, and superb to ride. A sport bike ridden easily and smoothly, can handle the west, or dirt side of the pass. Bring the camera! Can preview the conditions (August) here...

http://rmridervideo.com/?cat=40
    Yes, Yes, and Yes. Did all that today.
    '16 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
    Sold
    Sold

Yes, Yes, and Yes. Did all that today.
    Pics or it didn't happen.

No pics of us riding on dirt but there was plenty of it.
    The top of Cottonwood to Taylor Res was really smooth however Guanella Pass from the freshly paved area (which was awesome) to Grant was a different story....rough but passable.

Guanella Pass

Guanella Pass

Cottonwood Pass
    Maria
    2009 Street Triple

Nice, so much of Colorado I have yet to see... Looks like next summer the R1 is tripling mileage lol
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

heres a few from near my home from yesterday...and you can meet morgan in these too!

need a shave:

do bears shit in the woods? your damn right they do!

ill hang on to summer as long as i can too little green leaf!

You're just jealous.....
    '16 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
    Sold
    Sold

You're just jealous.....
    You bet I am, it's a great ride! Plus, I could have roosted you with my back tire the entire time!

Great pictures Johnny!

All of you people with your leaf peeping pictures are only succeeding in reminding me that my iphone's camera just doesn't cut it and I need to get a real camera.

Wow, those are some amazing shots. Nice job capturing it all.