Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: $7k awarded at $5 a month

Angry $7k awarded at $5 a month

My aunt just took some tenants she had (in New Mexico) that didn't pay rent for 6 mnths (yeah she let it go on too far). Anyways she was awarded $7,000, but the kicker is the judge rulled the family could only afford $5 a month to pay her. Calculated it now and it will take 116.67 years to get $7k at the $5 a month rate.

How unfair people get to live rent free for 6 months! Yeah my aunt should have evicted them the first month or two they missed, but she felt bad for them and they promised to pay and gave her this sad story that she bought.
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

Re: $7k awarded at $5 a month

Yay for the legal system. Another shining example of justice.
    www.cocsba.com

'00 ZX12R
    '03 SV1000

theft, plain and simple.

I don't understand how you can steal goods and services from people and not go to jail
    1998 VFR800 Interceptor - resurrected and custom tail http://vfrworld.com/forums/5th-gener...98-vfr800.html

1999 DR650SE

Any bets on how many payments they actually make before they default on the judgement?

If they miss any payments, then your aunt can send them to collections for the full amount.
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

Huge Member Site Admin Mother Goose's Avatar

Wow, that's crazy.
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

Nate... Lets take a trip to N.M.? I will pull the 7k out their ass in about 30 seconds

Exposed Member Lifetime Supporter Bashed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TFOGGuys View Post
    Any bets on how many payments they actually make before they default on the judgement?

If they miss any payments, then your aunt can send them to collections for the full amount.

Unfortunatly, one can't get blood from a rock. Even a collections doesn't gaurantee payment.
    This is just like the woman, and the guy recently, who both ran into me situation. Niether has any money, and the liklyhood they ever will have any money, is slim to none. And a judgment dosen't gaurentee payment. It will only make one crazy trying to collect.
    Tinkern has it right, start sending these deadbeats to jail. I would rather spend money to keep them locked up than have to spend money dealing with them everyday.
    * Bash, Bashasaurus, Ms Bash, his neighbors or friends are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you being squidish, squid like, squirting ink, or waving your non-covered tentacles about in a squidy fashion. Nor is he or his associates responsible for any citations as a result of you hanging with SoCo. Any attempt to coerce, blame, question, or pin your loser-riffic behavior on any of us, or those who are considered us for the night, as well as people we like, to include Salma Hayek and Nicky Hayden, among others, will result in a profanity stricken series of post that mock and taunt you incessantly, as well as many of us adding such insults to our signature lines. Avoid taking SoCo before bedtime. Do not use if you experience faintness, dizziness, inverness, difficulty urinating or blotchy skin. If I steal a line, quote, avatar or image from a post you make on the internet, you're not getting credit.*

AKA "Devaclis"

Bullets are cheap. Ass whoopins are cheaper.
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Quote Originally Posted by Bashed View Post
    Unfortunatly, one can't get blood from a rock. Even a collections doesn't gaurantee payment.
    This is just like the woman, and the guy recently, who both ran into me situation. Niether has any money, and the liklyhood they ever will have any money, is slim to none. And a judgment dosen't gaurentee payment. It will only make one crazy trying to collect.
    Tinkern has it right, start sending these deadbeats to jail. I would rather spend money to keep them locked up than have to spend money dealing with them everyday.
    Yup, the people have nothing so guess even if the full judgement is given you can't get something from nothing.

What annoys me most of it all is it makes good people like my aunt probably never want to help out a family again since she got burned and yet there are trusting people down on their luck that do need the help, but who will help them when others get screwed over so much.
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

Most Judgments are never fully paid. Collections......LOL That only works if the person cares about their credit. All one does though is tell collections to stop calling and deal with them only in writing.

I think Id write that off as a loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezzzzy1 View Post
    Nate... Lets take a trip to N.M.? I will pull the 7k out their ass in about 30 seconds
    Bring Grim, might take him 10 seconds to suck it out...
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Local jerk Yearly Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Bring Grim, might take him 10 seconds to suck it out...
    Not as fast as you if there are cookies at the end of the tunnel!

Quote Originally Posted by grim View Post
    Not as fast as you if there are cookies at the end of the tunnel!
    Ugh. There's an image I didn't need, think you may've ruined cookies forever...
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Ugh. There's an image I didn't need, think you may've ruined cookies forever...
    No i didn't and you know it!

Senior Member cptschlongenheimer's Avatar

Did for me.
    89 EX500 RIP
    06 R6S RIP
    03 R6

It's as ruined as:

~Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Bashed View Post
    Ummm...No. When Nate's aunt agreed to rent to them that was her choice. She took the risk that they wouldn't pay. She should have asked for a cosigner or found different renters. The tax payers should not be on the hook for the $50 to $70 a day it takes to keep a person in jail because they didn't pay a private debt.

thats retarded! our judicial system sounds a lot like our government lol

Quote Originally Posted by DFab View Post
    Ummm...No. When Nate's aunt agreed to rent to them that was her choice. She took the risk that they wouldn't pay. She should have asked for a cosigner or found different renters. The tax payers should not be on the hook for the $50 to $70 a day it takes to keep a person in jail because they didn't pay a private debt.
    I have to agree, private-sector dealings shouldn't cost the public when/if they go bad.

I think it's unfortunate all around, from the woman who couldn't pay her rent and apparently can only afford $5/mo to the landlord out the money, but since I had no dealings with any of this, keep my taxes out of supporting a debtors prison system that does no good for anyone-- if you imprisoned people for debt, then you'll never get any repayment since prison doesn't pay, it just costs.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

I have to agree, private-sector dealings shouldn't cost the public when/if they go bad.

I think it's unfortunate all around, from the woman who couldn't pay her rent and apparently can only afford $5/mo to the landlord out the money, but since I had no dealings with any of this, keep my taxes out of supporting a debtors prison system that does no good for anyone-- if you imprisoned people for debt, then you'll never get any repayment since prison doesn't pay, it just costs.
    +1 !00% dead on, if someone owes money and goes to prison the amount owed can go to deferment. So sending her to prison will not only screw the person who the money is owed to but it screws everyone else because we pay the taxes that keeps those prisons running.

I saw a case where there was a married couple the woman was an accountant for a large electrical engineering firm. She was stealing money out of the payroll and putting it into her account. This went on for 2 years and she accrued 2 million dollars. Invested it all into her husbands gym and left the company. When the police came knocking at the door the husband filed bankruptcy. The wife went to prison and the husband pleaded i know nothing. The owner of the engineering firm got screwed and will never get any of his money back at all because the bankruptcy was joint filed! Talk about getting screwed! The wife was sentenced to 36 years and ended up only serving 6.

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    My aunt just took some tenants she had (in New Mexico) that didn't pay rent for 6 mnths (yeah she let it go on too far). Anyways she was awarded $7,000, but the kicker is the judge rulled the family could only afford $5 a month to pay her. Calculated it now and it will take 116.67 years to get $7k at the $5 a month rate.

How unfair people get to live rent free for 6 months! Yeah my aunt should have evicted them the first month or two they missed, but she felt bad for them and they promised to pay and gave her this sad story that she bought.
    Sorry to hear it, but as mentioned, the reality is that if they have no money, they have no money to pay. Hope she gets better renters next time!
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mastap07 View Post
    thats retarded! our judicial system sounds a lot like our government lol
    Yeah, imagine if the government actually ran the judi.... oh nevermind.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Ahhh, but there IS a "debtor's prison" here in the US.......it's where you'll go if you don't or can't pay your child support. That's the one debt they can and will throw you in prison for. In OH, it is a class 4 felony if I remember correctly.
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

AKA "Devaclis"

Quote Originally Posted by CYCLE_MONKEY View Post
    Ahhh, but there IS a "debtor's prison" here in the US.......it's where you'll go if you don't or can't pay your child support. That's the one debt they can and will throw you in prison for. In OH, it is a class 4 felony if I remember correctly.
    A

motherfucking

MEN

Gestapo branch of the state government. You WILL go to jail for 120 days for failure to pay support whether you have the means or not. I have been threatened with this EVERY time I have changed jobs in Colorado. They monitor your employers. The moment you are no longer working from them you get the KGB treatment. Letters threatening jail, loss of your drivers license, wage garnishement, you name it. All within 1 week. Fuckers.
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!