Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "New" 2012 CBR 600 RR...looks like an F2

"New" 2012 CBR 600 RR...looks like an F2

By "new" Honda means BNG, in this case looking like the 1991/1992 F2 (which, I admit I like because I loved the used Red/White F2 I got as my first bike).

Still...it'd be nice to see a new CBR 600RR--maybe with some new-fangled features like...I dunno...a slipper clutch?

Meh, fwiw, (and it's apparently worth a lot at $11,540) here it is:

1992:

1991:

http://www.ultimatemotorcycling.com/...600-rr-preview

2012 Honda Motorcycles

When something performs ahead of the rest, and gets credit for winning more AMA and World Supersport Championships than any other middleweight sportbike, why change things?
    This seems to be the thinking behind the engineers of the CBR600 RR, a sportbike that hasn't changed since its last major revision in 2009, which was also the first year the Combined ABS braking system was offered (C-ABS).
    In 2009, the bike received some engine upgrades to improve upper RPM torque along with redesigned fairings, but nothing changed for 2010 and 2011 except for color options.
    This is also true for the 2012 Honda CBR 600 RR; the only new feature is a red color option, which has the stylish Honda wing (white) partially covering the upper part of the side fairings. And the white wheels offered with the red bring true CBR fans directly back to the F1 and F2 years.
    The bike is still available in black also, but red is the only colored offered with C-ABS. This C-ABS is a true "brake-by-wire" design, which means that they are electronically controlled. Unlike conventional ABS, where the feel at the lever is soft due to hydraulic pressure, the C-ABS offers a more responsive brake-lever feel.
    And like always, the Honda sportbike receives a one-year warranty, and can be customized with many Honda Genuine Accessories, such as Color-matched Seat Cowl, Carbon Fiber License Plate Frame, Standard Cycle Cover, Racing Cycle Cover, U-Lock, Carbon Fiber Front Tank Trim, Fuel Lid Cover, Tank Pad, and Knee Pads.
    Following are the specs, color options and MSRP for the 2012 Honda CBR600 RR.
    2012 Honda CBR 600 RR Specs:

• Model: CBR600RR / CBR600RR C-ABS
    • Engine Type: 599cc liquid-cooled inline four-cylinder
    • Bore and Stroke: 67mm x 42.5mm
    • Compression ratio: 12.2:1
    • Valve Train: DOHC; four valves per cylinder
    • Induction: Dual Stage Fuel Injection (DSFI) with 40mm throttle bodies, Denso 12-hole injectors
    • Ignition: Computer-controlled digital transistorized with 3-D mapping
    • Transmission: Close-ratio six-speed
    • Final Drive: #525 O-ring chain
    • Suspension Front: 41mm inverted HMAS cartridge fork with spring preload, rebound and compression damping adjustability; 4.3 inches travel
    • Rear: Unit Pro-Link HMAS single shock with spring preload, rebound and compression damping adjustability; 5.1 inches travel
    • Brakes Front: Dual radial-mounted four-piston calipers with 310mm discs
    • Rear: Single 220mm disc; Optional Honda Combined ABS (CBR600RR C-ABS)
    • Tires Front: 120/70ZR-17 radial
    • Rear: 180/55ZR-17 radial
    • Wheelbase: 53.9 inches
    • Rake: 23.5°
    • Trail: 97.7mm (3.9 inches)
    • Seat Height: 32.3 inches
    • Fuel Capacity: 4.8 gallons, including 0.9-gallon reserve
    • Estimated Fuel Economy: 40 mpg
    • Curb Weight: 410 pounds (CBR600RR) / 434 pounds (CBR600RR C-ABS)

2012 Honda CBR 600 RR Color Options/MSRP:

• Red / $11,540
    • Black $11,540
    • Black C-ABS (only available in Black) $12,540
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Re: "New" 2012 CBR 600 RR...looks like an F2

sweet lil bike...i chk out the big one last week it is also nice. 1k still has that awful mud flap as well. At least we are not in europe, but they do have the autobahn...

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Still...it'd be nice to see a new CBR 600RR--maybe with some new-fangled features like...I dunno...a slipper clutch?
    I actually prefer that it doesn't have all that extra stuff on it that the rest of the bikes have. Power modes, slipper clutch, etc. It gives you a raw bike without all the helpers. Though the one thing that I do love is the HESD. The current models will probably be the last though. I have a feeling Honda will compete in that department.
    2008 Honda CBR600RR - Graffiti
    2002 Yamaha WR250F

Quote Originally Posted by mdub View Post
    but they do have the autobahn...
    We could have that here too, but...yeah...never happen...

I didn't realize how fat my F2 looked until I stare at those pics.

And the dude with the 91 *really* needs to clean the inside of those 'C' shaped rim ribs, I know it sucks, and some of it's shadow, but those look like shit...
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    I actually prefer that it doesn't have all that extra stuff on it that the rest of the bikes have. Power modes, slipper clutch, etc. It gives you a raw bike without all the helpers. Though the one thing that I do love is the HESD. The current models will probably be the last though. I have a feeling Honda will compete in that department.
    I'd really like a slipper, primarily for my trackday jaunts--and for the price of a CBR, it needs to be on there...everyone else has one and for a lower MSRP...

But, really, this is an old bike at this point...I know 600 sales are sluggish, but pushing the same old bike won't inspire anyone to go trade in for the latest/greatest....
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

I'd really like a slipper, primarily for my trackday jaunts--and for the price of a CBR, it needs to be on there...everyone else has one and for a lower MSRP...

But, really, this is an old bike at this point...I know 600 sales are sluggish, but pushing the same old bike won't inspire anyone to go trade in for the latest/greatest....
    Kind of my thought... typical Honda...

Same old bike, at a higher price. But wait, it's got a new color! w00t!!

lah de freakin dah...
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    Kind of my thought... typical Honda...

Same old bike, at a higher price. But wait, it's got a new color! w00t!!

lah de freakin dah...

Yeah, seriously lame...

I know times are tough and 600 sales are particularly shitty, but that's exactly why they need to up their game and blow everyone else away.

Instead, you've got your NEW 2012 CBR competing against essentially the same bike (2007-2008 ) or exactly the same bike (2009+) on the used market for $5k and/or still on dealer showrooms as hold-overs...

Dumb, Honda, really dumb...grow some balls, take some risks, spend money to make money...it's not that hard to do, just do it...
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

I know times are tough and 600 sales are particularly shitty, but that's exactly why they need to up their game and blow everyone else away.
    Like a 600cc V4 supersport. That would be a killer track machine...
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by dirkterrell View Post
    Like a 600cc V4 supersport. That would be a killer track machine...
    Exactly. And they had that patent for one floated out there, probably just to judge reaction, but nothing ever came of it...

With their history of V4s, and with the doldrums in sales, now would be an ideal time for a real game-changer like the 900RR back in 1993...
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

And, fwiw, that front rim on the Red/White should be red, kinda like the old Smokin Joe's Purple/Yellow...

And the frame/subframe/everything should be black. I know the silver is retro-cool and looks like the F2, but...bleck...
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Yeah, seriously lame...

Instead, you've got your NEW 2012 CBR competing against essentially the same bike (2007-2008 ) or exactly the same bike (2009+) on the used market for $5k and/or still on dealer showrooms as hold-overs...

Dumb, Honda, really dumb...grow some balls, take some risks, spend money to make money...it's not that hard to do, just do it...
    for $500 less, you could get a Ducati Monster 1100 evo...
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    for $500 less, you could get a Ducati Monster 1100 evo...
    Heh, not quite apples to apples, but I get your point.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Or a held over Concours14....Just sayin' And my bike has a slipper clutch...It's shaft drive and made for "old" people. Get with the times Honduh.....
    '16 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
    '12 Kawasaki Concours14 -
    Sold
    '08 Kawasaki Concours14 -
    Sold
    '05 Suzuki SV1000S - Sold
    '07 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 - Sold

slipper should be standard. Something you'll never use or need until you get to the track anyway.

I'm a fan of the mechanical mods. TC and other nonsense I can do without

oh and that price is fucking ridiculous.

I'd say Honda is more focused on the street than the track. I don't see Yamaha and Suzuki putting ABS on their supersport bikes. Why would they make a slipper clutch standard when 9 out of 10 bikes will never see the track? I agree with the pricing crap, but on the street HESD and ABS are more useful than a slipper clutch.

Seems to me that Honda is doing something different than the competition.
    2008 Honda CBR600RR - Graffiti
    2002 Yamaha WR250F

yea..... seems like they are focusing on the demographics that probably wont take their bike onto the track in the near future.

ABS, not sure about that. Have not ridden one. But i hear more cons from riders towards that it is not neccessary. But if you askt a salesperson its the other way. The steering damper is quite nice...Smooth from 0 thru triple digits

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    I'd say Honda is more focused on the street than the track. I don't see Yamaha and Suzuki putting ABS on their supersport bikes. Why would they make a slipper clutch standard when 9 out of 10 bikes will never see the track? I agree with the pricing crap, but on the street HESD and ABS are more useful than a slipper clutch.

Seems to me that Honda is doing something different than the competition.
    Different, Yeah, they're losing market-share...

In the supersport market, charging more, offering less, offering the same old shit, and getting dinged in the press for all of that will kill your business.

I think slippers are always useful, even on the street.

But, even if I didn't, 600 sales are driven almost entirely by magazine reviews, and once they claim "you need it" and your bike doesn't have it, or it's not the top of every comparison then it's time to listen and change.

Honda keeps saying "This is good enough for you" and expects the public to agree and pony up the money when really Honda needs to listen to the consumers when they say "This is what I want and what I'll spend my money on"...and lately it's not the 600rr...
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Quote Originally Posted by BC14 View Post
    Or a held over Concours14....Just sayin' And my bike has a slipper clutch...It's shaft drive and made for "old" people. Get with the times Honduh.....
    Aren't they ALL "held-over" (for good reason)????
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

Quote Originally Posted by CYCLE_MONKEY View Post
    Aren't they ALL "held-over" (for good reason)????
    Another "witty" comment from Frank
    '16 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
    Sold
    Sold

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Quote Originally Posted by BC14 View Post
    Another "witty" comment from Frank
    Another witless......ahhh, nevermind.....

And besides, Honduh DOES make the VFR1200 for comparison......
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

And they're still making the VFR 800...for whatever reason...

But I'm not sure what you mean "for comparison", you mean the 1200 is newer in design?
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Don't get me started on the VFR1200 VS. the other ST bikes... Way overpriced for what you get, for one.

/end thread jack. My bad
    '16 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
    Sold
    Sold

I vote we just give it to this dude, he'd make it BADASS YO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4scZ...eature=related