Thread: Helmet manufacture date?

Helmet manufacture date?

Any reason I should take into account a helmet's manufacture date, even if the helmet was never used? My little bro works at a shop in AZ and they have an Arai Quantum/f (same as my current helmet that fits perfect) on sale for $250 that I'm looking to buy, but it's manufacture date is 05/00.

A guy asked a question about my Arai Astral that I'm trying to sell on ebay (my Arai that doesn't fit well) and said that tracks won't allow a rider to be wearing a helmet that has a manufacture date of 5+ years ago. My Astral's date is 01/02, but was just curious in general about the dates.

Thanks.
    justin at jackmoves dot com
    http://repo.jackmoves.com/bike

Re: Helmet manufacture date?

This has come up on here in the past, but the thread may have been purged off...try doing a search for it as it contained some pretty good information.

To summarize as best as I recall:

Many materials will suffer from some form of deterioration over an extended period of time (e.g., glues may lose their bond, solvents may affect liner material, etc.). Wear and tear from use (natural oils, sweat, etc.) also contribute to deterioration.

Helmet standards are revised on a five-year cycle due to advances in technology, materials, manufacturing, testing, etc. Purchasing a helmet that has current DOT/Snell certification stickers ensures that the helmet meets the current safety standards for the helmet. The manufacture date provides an indication of the age of the materials in the helmet independent of which standard it meets.

A five-year life is the universally accepted period for protective helmets. This is the independent recommendation of the FIA and research test houses such as the Snell Foundation. This five-year helmet replacement recommendation is a judgement call that stems from a prudent safety philosophy.

I believe it is up to each individual track and/or organization to determine what they will and will not allow to be used at their facility or within their organization. Many, including our local MRA, follow the five-year life cycle.

Assuming nothing that dictates that I replace it sooner, I replace my helmets based on their manufacture date, not the date I bought them. I would pass on this one. While it has never been used, it is more than 5 years old.
    Nate
    '07 CBR600RR

Thanks for the info. I'll be looking for another replacement helmet
    justin at jackmoves dot com
    http://repo.jackmoves.com/bike

I'll just mention also that per the 2005 MRA Rulebook 6.2.7.1 A:

(http://www.mra-racing.org/PDF/2005_Rulebook.pdf)

6.2.7 Rider Apparel and Eqpt

6.2.7.1 Helmet

A. A full coverage helmet bearing a label of compliance to either Snell Foundtion specifications, DOT FMVSS 218, or any FIM certification with a date of manufacture no earlier than 5 years prior to the first MRA event of the season.

B. Straps, shell, liner and shield in good condition.

C. No aftermarket quick releases will be allowed.

D. Damaged helmets must have manufacturer's recertificaiton for approval.