Thread: Licence plates

Board Newbie

Licence plates

I just bought a tail light integration kit for my 05 YZF R1 to get rid of that mud falp in the back. I have been looking for licence plate mounts and all I can find are the ones that replace what I am trying to get rid of. So I was wandering is there any other way of doing it?????

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

Re: Licence plates

There are a ton of different ways to mount up a rear plate. Some of which the local Jakes may or may not consider entirely legal.

Use your imagination though, and I'm sure you can find a way to mount it how you want it. Probably w/out even going aftermarket.

I personally went with the Graves piece, and love the way it looks. It did away with the fender, but still displays the blinkers and plate in a stylish manner that the law doesn't hassle me about.
    (Which is a priority for me)

At profile though, the whole blinker/plate setup is pretty discreet I think.

~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

This is a Chemical Burn Project Sh*tbox's Avatar

home depot parts. hit up the lil aluminum rack. one peice of flat stock and one peice of angle aluminum. pop rivets. Yay.

-ASC
    Aaron "CRACKA" Cummins
    "Vintage" '98 Gixxer 6 <--GONE
    '01 Buell M2 Cyclone. 1203cc's of American Muscle. <--GONE
    paperstreetsoapcompany816@yahoo.com

From a legal perspective:

42-3-123

(2) (a) Every number plate shall at all times be securely fastened to the vehicle to which it is assigned, so as to prevent the plate from swinging, and shall be horizontal at a height not less than twelve inches from the ground, measuring from the bottom of such plate, in a place and position to be clearly visible, and shall be maintained free from foreign materials and in a condition to be clearly legible

42-4-206

Requires that ALL vehicles have at least one rear tail lamp that illuminates the plate for a distance of 50' at night.

Technically, the plate in the photo above does not meet these requirements (not horizontally mounted).

See also: Anyone get hassled for license plate placement?
    Nate
    '07 CBR600RR

This is a Chemical Burn Project Sh*tbox's Avatar

I got stopped plenty of times, as most of you know, and I never got hassled about my tag location and orientation.

-ASC
    Aaron "CRACKA" Cummins
    "Vintage" '98 Gixxer 6 <--GONE
    '01 Buell M2 Cyclone. 1203cc's of American Muscle. <--GONE
    paperstreetsoapcompany816@yahoo.com

There are numerous "fender eliminator" pieces on ebay, which is where I got mine for my new bike. I've had similiar plate mounts on all my previous bikes, where the plate is bent slightly at an angle under the tail light. Never once been hassled about it.

Reference pics, my new bike and my old gsxr:

justin at jackmoves dot com
    http://repo.jackmoves.com/bike

I got one of these for my plate, and then purchased the integrated LED brake light.signals from Greggs Customs....

http://www.tobefast.com/detail.aspx?ID=781

2014 Ducati Hypermotard 821
    2015 HD FLHXS