Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rock-N-Roll Hall Of Shame

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Rock-N-Roll Hall Of Shame

This place is a joke, as is even the execution of the concept. Michael Jackson, George Clinton, ABBA, and other totally non-relevant performers to the genre are "Rock-N-Roll, while Rush, KISS, Journey, Deep Purple, Yes, Bad Company, and many others AREN'T??? WTF???

http://entertainment.gather.com/view...81474980412738

http://scienceblogs.com/dispatches/2...ll_of_fame.php

They were talking about this on the radio today, and it stil gripes me. I've been to the hall when I lived there, and it sucked and was overpriced. Go to a Hard Rock Cafe for free......
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Re: Rock-N-Roll Hall Of Shame

Reminds me of the year Jethro Tull were given the first Grammy for Best Hard Rock or Metal over Metallica. I like Jethro Tull but I wouldn't even consider their work as being in that genre. I'm still not sure how anyone thought that was right.
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

You had me at RUSH!
    1998 CBR600F3 "Desert Storm" - SOLD

WAS keeping the banana seat alive!

Quote Originally Posted by dirkterrell View Post
    Reminds me of the year Jethro Tull were given the first Grammy for Best Hard Rock or Metal over Metallica. I like Jethro Tull but I wouldn't even consider their work as being in that genre. I'm still not sure how anyone thought that was right.
    Yeah, while I like both, I wouldn't say Tull is "Metal" at all. Hard rock? Yes (Locomotive Breath, etc.), but heavily on the "folk" side of that. Metal? No way. But, still valid for the 'Hall. MJ? Clinton? ABBA? No friggin' way. Deep Purple, Yes, or Rush not being in there? SRSLY?
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

It's not actually about rock and roll, it's about popular media consumption and sales. Unfortunately, MJ has a lot more fans than Rush. Stuff with MJ's name/face on it sells while items with a picture of Geddy Lee or Steve Howe, doesn't.

So because they nominees don't fit your idea of what "Rock & Roll" is - they suck and the RRHOF sucks?

Have I got that?

I'm not arguing that I question some of their decisions... Hell, I'd personally rather peel my own finger nails off than listen to an ABBA album, but that doesn't mean they didn't have a huge impact on music in the 70s and 80s. I'm sure the other nominees that don't get played on the fox are just as worthy in their own right.

Plus, how can you deny the power that is Parliament... the P-Funk All-Stars... yeah, I'm talking about George Clinton.

Oh, and there's a good reason RUSH isn't in the Hall of Fame... They're
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Then they should call it the Pop Music Hall of Fame.
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

That's how everything is these days. One of my pet peeves as a jazz musician, is "Jazz" Festivals. What a joke. It has nothing to do with jazz anymore, because jazz doesn't sell tickets. If you look up 90% of jazz fests, the only actual jazz acts are during the day, and they are usually local artist (which is good). But at night it's Santana, Bonnie Raitt or Matchbox 20. If you like those artists, that's fine, but none of them have anything to do with jazz. And this is exactly what happens to rock music or pretty much anything in the music industry.

I'm still waiting for either Tiffany or Wilson Philips to be inducted. Then it will be legitimate.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    It's not actually about rock and roll, it's about popular media consumption and sales. Unfortunately, MJ has a lot more fans than Rush. Stuff with MJ's name/face on it sells while items with a picture of Geddy Lee or Steve Howe, doesn't.
    Steve Howe isn't in Rush.
    Motorcycle Roadracing Association #29
    President

MSF
    Rider Coach

Quote Originally Posted by UglyDogRacing View Post
    Steve Howe isn't in Rush.
    Thanks Jim!

I was trying to think of the absolute last person I would want to see on a t-shirt. Geddy Lee is up there, but Steve wins the battle. Good musician, but not a handsome man.

He doesn't need to be handsome, he's a rock star. He gets (or did) laid regardless.

Motorcycle Roadracing Association #29
    President

MSF
    Rider Coach

Quote Originally Posted by UglyDogRacing View Post
    He doesn't need to be handsome, he's a rock star. He gets (or did) laid regardless.
    Man, that guy gives me nightmares. And no, rock musicians don't need to be handsome to become famous (although you know that he probably got the groupies that the others didn't want). But still, an exhibit with popular performers (I don't want to use the word musicians) is going to generate much more revenue than an exhibit with Steve Howe/Yes. It's sad, but true.

'Zacktly!

If it ain't R&R, it don't belong in the R&RHOF. Let Pop build their own building, dammit! Hell, MJ is KNOWN as "The King Of Pop".

And even though Rush IS Kanadian......we gotta give them, Triumph, April Wine, and a few others a pass.

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    So because they nominees don't fit your idea of what "Rock & Roll" is - they suck and the RRHOF sucks?

Have I got that?
    Yup, dead on! I lived there, been thru the hall. Yeah, it sucked. Too expensive, not cool enough, especially with all the "Pop" stuff.

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

Quote Originally Posted by CYCLE_MONKEY View Post
    Yup, dead on! I lived there, been thru the hall. Yeah, it sucked. Too expensive, not cool enough, especially with all the "Pop" stuff.
    OK... just checking.

I felt the same way about the EMP in Seattle. If you're not a fan of Nirvana or Sound Garden, don't bother... and that was before the 20th anniversary of "Never Mind".

The Science Fiction Hall of Fame was cool though. In that geeky sort of way.
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!

Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    OK... just checking.

I felt the same way about the EMP in Seattle. If you're not a fan of Nirvana or Sound Garden, don't bother... and that was before the 20th anniversary of "Never Mind".

The Science Fiction Hall of Fame was cool though. In that geeky sort of way.
    My Kanadian friends who I took thru it thought it sucked too, and that was even BEFORE all the Kanadian bands like Rush were snubbed so badly. They enjoyed the shooting range WAY better (since you can't own handguns there.

What's EMP?

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

My Kanadian friends who I took thru it thought it sucked too, and that was even BEFORE all the Kanadian bands like Rush were snubbed so badly. They enjoyed the shooting range WAY better (since you can't own handguns there.

What's EMP?
    1. EMP - Experience Music Project (aka "ALL HAIL GRUNGE")

2. Saw this video today and thought of this thread: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khJKq_kJK7Q

I cast my vote for Donna Summer and Eric B & Rakim in the online Fan poll just for you, Frank
    "Every Crotch is a Rocket" HDAVE

'09 Suzuki SV650
    '07 Honda CBR 600RR
    '14 1875 watt Conair

MRA#522

Resident Hater Site Admin Canuck's Avatar

... (since you can't own handguns there
    Not true, btw.

Also, you forgot to add Neil Young to your "pass" list.
    RIP Gene. You are a good friend that will be missed. I'm Gene Bazyl Bitch!!

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck View Post
    Not true, btw.

Also, you forgot to add Neil Young to your "pass" list.
    They were from Mississauga, near Toronto, and told me it was. Dunno about where you were. Almost all of the guys had never shot one before, and few had seen one not on a cop. They LOVED the shooting range. too bad I didn't have my buddy with the fully-legal fully-automatic Mac-10 (.45cal) with us. Hell, I just about soiled myself shooting that thing.

Neil WHO? Yeah, he's one of the others. Oh, and Stompin' Tom too!

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

Quote Originally Posted by sprtbkbabe View Post
    I cast my vote for Donna Summer and Eric B & Rakim in the online Fan poll just for you, Frank
    Ouch! Next you'll be saying Neil Diamond or something......

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

it's always been a joke. The kicker is they usually have the events in NYC
    I have no idea what you're talking about.

Resident Hater Site Admin Canuck's Avatar

They were from Mississauga, near Toronto, and told me it was. Dunno about where you were. Almost all of the guys had never shot one before, and few had seen one not on a cop. They LOVED the shooting range. too bad I didn't have my buddy with the fully-legal fully-automatic Mac-10 (.45cal) with us. Hell, I just about soiled myself shooting that thing.
    I'm being being a bit difficult on the semantic meaning of your statement. Yes, even though it is very difficult to obtain a Hand Gun Liscense in Ontario, it technically isn't illegal. The gun laws vary by Provence and Ontario is one of the strongest. Most of the people who own Hand Guns in Ontario have them registered for Sport purposes. Many do not even bother to apply for a HG because there is so much red tape.
    There is a Toronto local Gun Club that in 2008 relocated their indoor shooting range from the downtown are (right by the CN tower and the Union Station) to the suburbs. Most people, (myself included) didn't even know it existed until they were closing it.
    Sorry for going off topic. Just wanted to clarify the statement.
    RIP Gene. You are a good friend that will be missed. I'm Gene Bazyl Bitch!!