Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beginning Canyon Rides

Beginning Canyon Rides

What canyons would everyone recommend for someone just getting started?

Huge Member Site Admin Mother Goose's Avatar

Re: Beginning Canyon Rides

Hwy 7 or Central City Parkway. Both are easy roads, smooth, and usually no debris in the way.
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

Assume gravel is around every corner, anywhere in the canyons

eyes forward

Local jerk Yearly Supporter

Lookout mountain

boulder pass over 119 through nederland,, watch the speed through nederland, it gets ridiculously slow and the cops take advantage of it , then on through to boulder and land almost in downtown right near pearl street or keep going around the backside to estes , then over to 25 for a smash down to denver..
    - The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    - I have sworn on the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.- Thomas Jefferson -
    -- HONESTY BEFORE SYMPATHY
    -- NEVER LET ANYONE LIVE RENT FREE IN YOUR HEAD, RENT WILL ALWAYS COST YOU SOMETHING -W.H.HEITZ
    --THE TRUTH WILL EITHER HURT YOU OR HEAL YOU,BUT REGARDLESS, IT'S THE TRUTH
    -- THERE IS A FINE LINE BETWEEN INSANITY AND GENIUS, IT MAY BE DRAWN THIN, WIDE, LOOSE OR TAUGHT, BUT IT'S WHETHER YOU THINK OF IT AS A TIGHTROPE OR HOW YOU PLAY HOPSCOTCH ON IT
    - J.A. WRIGHT

Might wanna go on this ride as well if you can make it...

http://cosportbikeclub.org/forums/sh...ad.php?t=42772

Local jerk Yearly Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Owen_R6 View Post

+1 will be a slower pace very noob friendly!

Quote Originally Posted by grim View Post
    Lookout mountain
    haha, yeah, I've already done that 'canyon'.

Quote Originally Posted by Owen_R6 View Post

thanks, Owen, I saw that thread. I'm not available on Sunday and I'm going to hold off on the group rides for a while for a couple of reasons: a) i don't want to make others wait on me. and, b) i know myself well enough to know that i'll be too tempted to push myself to keep up before i've discovered where my limits are.

HWY 7 looks pretty good. I know that canyon fairly well as I've ridden it numerous times on a bicycle. and, unlike some other canyons I've ridden on a bike, i don't recall ever coming down to a switchback with white knuckles. and, it's not quite as popular as 119. i'll hit that one next time.

As a new rider myself, I have done all the canyons that have been recommended and plenty of others. I would say any canyon is safe if you are smart enough to stay within your limits. Like my MSF instructor said, if you do the speed posted for the corner, you will be fine. As tecknojoe said, assume there is a hazard at every corner.

The best thing about the csc is I have yet to go on a csc ride where people werent willing to wait for slower riders to catch up. If you find yourself with people that arent willing to wait, they aren't worth riding with.

Jason
    07 600RR
    07 Speed Triple -[COLOR=rgb(255,0,0)] [/COLOR]GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN[COLOR=rgb(255,0,0)][/COLOR]

34 and 36 into estes aren't bad either

Quote Originally Posted by JKOL View Post
    As a new rider myself, I have done all the canyons that have been recommended and plenty of others. I would say any canyon is safe if you are smart enough to stay within your limits. Like my MSF instructor said, if you do the speed posted for the corner, you will be fine. As tecknojoe said, assume there is a hazard at every corner.

The best thing about the csc is I have yet to go on a csc ride where people werent willing to wait for slower riders to catch up. If you find yourself with people that arent willing to wait, they aren't worth riding with.
    All good points. As for waiting to ride in a group, I'm more worried about myself than I am others. If someone is going fast in front of me, I will want to go as fast. And, I can easily imagine the voice in my head saying, "If s/he can go through the turn that fast, it can be done. Therefore, you can go through the corner that fast."

I'll avoid that temptation until I have a better idea of where my limits are so that I can have a reasonable conversation with that voice in my head.

But, it won't be long before I'm jumping in on the group rides.

On the weekends I like to take Left Hand Canyon out to 72 and then either head south to 119 & Ned or North to 7 & Lyons. LHC is a nice ride though there is one turn that always seems to catch me by surprise even though I know it is coming up...not sure what my deal is with that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Solinary View Post
    On the weekends I like to take Left Hand Canyon out to 72 and then either head south to 119 & Ned or North to 7 & Lyons. LHC is a nice ride though there is one turn that always seems to catch me by surprise even though I know it is coming up...not sure what my deal is with that one.
    It's a decreasing radius turn. It's caught a lot of people by surprise.
    2005 Yamaha YZF-R6 (SOLD)
    2013 Yamaha FZ6R
    Stupidity should be painful.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigB View Post
    All good points. As for waiting to ride in a group, I'm more worried about myself than I am others. If someone is going fast in front of me, I will want to go as fast. And, I can easily imagine the voice in my head saying, "If s/he can go through the turn that fast, it can be done. Therefore, you can go through the corner that fast."

I'll avoid that temptation until I have a better idea of where my limits are so that I can have a reasonable conversation with that voice in my head.

It's good that you realize you might not be able to control the temptation. Only thing worse than wrecking yourself is taking another rider down with you.

I use the opposite logic from you. I know how fast i should go based on how fast others take a turn. If they go 70, I need to make sure to be under that speed by a healthy margin. Plus i like the safety of having other riders around in case i do go down, but smaller groups are definitely better than big groups for your first few group rides.

Jason
    07 600RR
    07 Speed Triple -[COLOR=rgb(255,0,0)] [/COLOR]GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN[COLOR=rgb(255,0,0)][/COLOR]

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Going on a noob friendly ride is actually a great way to learn the canyons. Usually the leader is only doing 5 - 10 mph over the speed limit (or less depending on the group). If you stay towards the rear, you'll keep your speed down. Riding with people who are above your skill level helps you gain the confidence to go a little faster each time. The test I use is if my arms are fully extended and I think I'm going too fast, I am. Come to the new member meetup tonight and meet some of the riders, then ask to go on Sat with just you and that other rider. It really helps.
    "With every broken bone, I swear I lived."

I dig solo riding. Not having to worry about what the person in front or behind you is doing lets you focus more on what you are or are not doing.
    I've got more flavor than a packet of macaroni.

Gold Member Yearly Supporter Sully's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CraigB View Post

It's good to avoid this temptation. You never know how much experience the person in front of you has, trying to keep up will only get yourself in trouble without proper seat time and riding skills. I've seen it happen many times. Check out the mentoring thread. There are plenty of skilled riders on this forum who can go out with you one on one and help you get better.
    Glitter Factory Racing
    MRA #415

Sol Performance - Pirelli Tires

Senior Member Yearly Supporter Nooch's Avatar

When I was first starting out in the canyons here, I rode with a more experienced partner and I rode in front. This way I set the pace and he was there to watch my technique and help give me feedback for improvement. It was also helpful that my partner knew many of the canyon roads and was able to let me know what to expect in terms of challenging curves and general road conditions. This helped me focus more on my technique and control rather than worrying about what the road was going to throw at me.

Craig - what part of the state are you in?

The roads other suggested are all spectacular. If you're around Colorado Springs I can fill you in on some southern roads.

The biggest thing you'll hear is ride your own pace and don't try to keep up. In fact when I was new (and still sometimes) I would intentionally fall back to where the lead rider was out of my field of view because I would catch myself pushing to keep up.

Around the start of the season (i.e. May) the club holds at least one noob ride.

As far as the yellow speed limits (corner speed) - use these as your road map. Start out going that speed and as you gain experience you'll find a good general rule of thumb is to double whatever the corner speed is.

Always go slow when you see 10mph or 15mph -- pay close attention for anything under 25mph.

35mph and above means an easy sweeper.

Quote Originally Posted by dhearkt View Post
    boulder pass over 119 through nederland,, watch the speed through nederland, it gets ridiculously slow and the cops take advantage of it , then on through to boulder and land almost in downtown right near pearl street or keep going around the backside to estes , then over to 25 for a smash down to denver..
    Don't do any of this crap. Bad advice is bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Clovis View Post
    35mph and above means an easy sweeper.
    Do not assume this, ever. If you're on a road that's new to you take it easy...
    George Mock | 2008 ZX6R | GoPro Hero | 3:551 5806

you could ride with other new riders... pace would be slower and you won't feel bad for holding others up.

PM me if you want to ride sometime. I'll go your pace.

Too bad you can't make it to the 250 ride... We'd love to have you!
    Respect and truth trump all!
    I don't get lost. I explore.

well, i did my first canyon ride today. 7 to Estes and back down 36. it was a blast.

took it very easy at the beginning. and, while i still wouldn't describe anything i did as fast, i was pretty stoked when i realized i was comfortably going 40+ through a 30 mph downhill sweeper.

thanks for all the good info and encouragement. it's very cool to know there are so many people out there willing to help out new riders.

unfortunately, i have other commitments that will prevent me from riding the rest of the weekend but i will definitely be taking some of you up on the offers to get out and ride soon.

cheers,
    Craig