Thread: Chain and Sprocket help

Gold Member Yearly Supporter McVaaahhh's Avatar

Chain and Sprocket help

So I just got the bike back from TK, putting Hoopty's tires on, and Bart told me that I need a new chain and sprocket.

I've heard everyone say 520 conversion all over the place, but I've never heard why I should do it.

I'm looking around eBay and I can get a chain and both sprockets for around $140 or so. Good Deal??? ebay 520 kit

Basically, should I just go ahead and get this????

Thanks,

--Brian
    '02 RC-51 - Street
    '05 Pitster Pro 125 - Pitbike madness

Be polite. Be professional. But be prepared to kill everyone you meet.

"Motorcycles tell us a more useful truth: we are small and exposed, and probably moving too fast for our own good, but that's no reason not to enjoy every minute of the ride."
    ~Dave Karlotski

Re: Chain and Sprocket help

GO ahead and do the conversion.
    The positive is less rotating mass which makes the bike easier to flip into turns.
    The negative is slightly more wear and tear.
    '01 SV 650 S
    '08 Gary Fisher mtn. bike
    '69 Austin Healey Sprite
    '92 GTI

thank you, i was kinda wondering about this myself.

AKA "Devaclis"
    I have to say something about the ebay auction:

I bought my 520 conversion from Sumofallparts. I had an experience that went like this: I emailed Joe (Owner) and asked how much next day shipping would be on the 520 conversion kit I ordered. Her told me $xx.xx and that I would need to send payment right away so that it woulkd go out that day. I sent the $$, he sent me a UPS tracking number. 3 days went by, no item. I emailed Joe and he gave excuses and tried to pass me off to Laura (another worker there) She blew me off. The tracking number showed the item never shipped. I sent some nasty emails and Joe told me that UPS lost the order before it was even scanned in. I told him to refund me which he did plus $20 for my troubles. He then emailed and called me repeatedly appologizing and offering to overnight another kit to me so I would do biz with him. I pointed out the CSC and let him know about our member base. He overnighted the kit to me. It arrived on time.

Cliff Notes: I had a bad experience with Sumofallparts, they made it right, but I am still not totally happy with them.

Please feel free to mention me to them if you have any questions. I know they want the CSC members to do business with them so hopefully they will treat you right.

By the way: The kit is quality. I will buy my next one from them when the time comes.
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Gold Member Yearly Supporter McVaaahhh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddau";p="212271
    The negative is slightly more wear and tear.
    I'm assuming by this you mean that the chain and sprockets will wear out quicker?

What kind of mileage should I expect out of this? (Keep in mind I rarely hit the upper end of the RPM range).
    '02 RC-51 - Street
    '05 Pitster Pro 125 - Pitbike madness

Be polite. Be professional. But be prepared to kill everyone you meet.

"Motorcycles tell us a more useful truth: we are small and exposed, and probably moving too fast for our own good, but that's no reason not to enjoy every minute of the ride."
    ~Dave Karlotski

If your not worried about the few onces you'll save with a 520 just stick with oem, you can still change your gearing if you want, and the setup will last longer. If you change gearing it is most likely you will throw your speedo off, not sure on that old of a bike though.

I'm more interested in longevity than saving a few ounces of weight, so I stayed at the stock size on my F4i. I just ordered a kit from sprocketcenter.com for $149 to go one down in the front, steel sprockets front and rear and an RK chain (they were out of DID and I need it next week). The other nice thing about the kit is the chains are already cut to length. They also have 520 conversion kits there. Aluminum sprockets will save you weight, but only last to ~8k miles.
    2001 Porsche 911 Turbo
    2006 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S
    2011 Ducati Diavel Carbon

Leroy Brown
    Quote Originally Posted by McVaaahhh";p="212400
    What kind of mileage should I expect out of this? (Keep in mind I rarely hit the upper end of the RPM range).
    Don't scrimp on this purchase. Go ahead and contact Dan Kyle -DKyle or Hardracing.

A cheap chain will wear out quick

A DID ERVx2 520 on an RC51 lasted over 17000 miles.

You don't need a race chain for it to last to 20k miles. However, you do need to make sure you lube it pretty often (sprocketcenter.com told me 300 miles -- but that seems excessive). I plan on getting 20k out of the kit I ordered. My stock stuff (stock chain and sprockets) is going to be replaced at 15k next week.
    2001 Porsche 911 Turbo
    2006 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S
    2011 Ducati Diavel Carbon