Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: License Plate Placement?

License Plate Placement?

I see some bikes with their license plate tucked way underneath the tail almost in front of the rear tire where its hardly visible.

Is this a legit way to display the license plate? Can police cite you for something if you have your plate that way?
    2016 Honda Africa Twin
    2015 Ducati Monster 1200s Stripe
    And Freakin' Old

Re: License Plate Placement?

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forum...6&postcount=52

Talk to Jesterbass..

I don't know the exact laws, but I think it need to be illuminated and easily visible

The full thread for your answer and entertainment.

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forum...t=42556&page=3

According to state law:

42-3-202. Number plates to be attached.

(1) (a) Number plates assigned to a self-propelled vehicle other than a motorcycle or street rod vehicle shall be attached thereto, one in the front and the other in the rear. The number plate assigned to a motorcycle, street rod vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, other vehicle drawn by a motor vehicle, or special mobile machinery shall be attached to the rear thereof. Number plates shall be so displayed during the current registration year, except as otherwise provided in this article.
    (b) If the department issues a validating tab or sticker to a motor vehicle pursuant to section 42-3-201, the current month validating tab or sticker shall be displayed in the bottom left corner of the rear license plate. The current year validating tab or sticker shall be displayed in the bottom right corner of the rear license plate. The tabs or stickers shall be visible at all times.

(2) (a) Every number plate shall at all times be securely fastened to the vehicle to which it is assigned, so as to prevent the plate from swinging, and shall be horizontal at a height not less than twelve inches from the ground, measuring from the bottom of such plate, in a place and position to be clearly visible, and shall be maintained free from foreign materials and in a condition to be clearly legible.
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

Why even give a cop a reason to pull you over! It is the reason I would not do it and even keep my license plate immuminated.
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

Senior Member Yearly Supporter Nooch's Avatar

The vast majority of LEOs are not walking talking encyclopedias of state and local law. Most won't know the exact regulations on plate mounting for a bike off the top of their heads. But like Bulldog said, its not worth the risk. One day if you ever do get pulled over by a cop who THINKS he knows the law, it just gives him a reason to mess with you. My plate is mounted in the stock location (fender eliminator) with 3 LED plate lights, red reflector bolts and mounted at an angle that makes it very easy to read. I think mounting it properly like this conveys the message "I have nothing to hide!".

They may not know the exact placement requirements, but I'm going to bet most know it shouldn't be folded in half, upside down, hidden by the tire.
    Blair
    2000 GSX750F, 2003 YZ450F, 2004 GSXR750, 2006 ZX-14
    2013 CBR500R, 2016 YZF-R6 - MRA #760

Quote Originally Posted by BushyAR15 View Post
    I see some bikes with their license plate tucked way underneath the tail almost in front of the rear tire where its hardly visible.

Is this a legit way to display the license plate? Can police cite you for something if you have your plate that way?
    My plate is within specs of the law as posted above however it is a little dirty. I need to clean it. I do have court on january 6th because of my plate placement so after that I will let you know how everything turns out. Some cops are okay where it is as long as it is lit other cops say ANYTHING other than stock placement "even fender eliminators" are illegal. If you want to go thru the heart ache as I am of having to fight the courts about it put it wherever you want as long as its lit and visible. if not leave everything alone. one thing I would stay away from if you decide to post your plate underneath is bitching about the cops pulling you over, because of it, on the forum. Yes it was bad having to walk into CC and bad getting my bike impounded but the worst part was all the goody goody never done anything wrong holier than thou riders telling me what a piece of shit I am lol.

As per Officer Cranz of the State Patrol your plate must be visible from 50ft away... I questioned "even a motorcycle plate?" and he responded "yep." He said that mine was bent too far up and asked if I wanted him to show me where it should be. I said that its not bent up, but that the bracket that holds it onto the bike is made that way. I also asked him if we could walk out 50ft and take a look. He said no and proceeded to bend the plate and bracket down and said that he was giving me a warning.

Another fine example of an officer helping a citizen in need!

thank goodness we're not europeans

Quote Originally Posted by Jesterbass21 View Post
    My plate is within specs of the law as posted above however it is a little dirty. I need to clean it. I do have court on january 6th because of my plate placement so after that I will let you know how everything turns out. Some cops are okay where it is as long as it is lit other cops say ANYTHING other than stock placement "even fender eliminators" are illegal. If you want to go thru the heart ache as I am of having to fight the courts about it put it wherever you want as long as its lit and visible. if not leave everything alone. one thing I would stay away from if you decide to post your plate underneath is bitching about the cops pulling you over, because of it, on the forum. Yes it was bad having to walk into CC and bad getting my bike impounded but the worst part was all the goody goody never done anything wrong holier than thou riders telling me what a piece of shit I am lol.
    Guys like and you and me have to be even more careful since we have what is considered "racing type" of plastics; you with the Repsol and me with the Carrera race replica plastics (Sasha has the same issue).

Nowadays I try to not give a cop a reason to pull me over, but I also am stuck because I like to have a loud exhust for people to hear me; plus have full Yosi headers which makes it even louder! Cops ALWAYS look at me and I have received tickets for "sounding like you were speeding" careless driving since I was no clocked even though I was not speeding, my bike is just loud. The plastics I like because I don't want to have a 600rr that looks like everyone else's.

Don't worry people preach on the site, but i doubt anyone is a saint. Sh*t I have received a 8 point tickets for speeding and was a mandotory court appearance, and that is just one instance of many tickets I have got. Like I have told you in other posts; it is just tough love man and we try to help out and reduce the squids on sportbikes that make cops single us out even more.

Huge Member Site Admin Mother Goose's Avatar

I got pulled over for my plate when I first got the bike, I had it zip tied to the passenger pegs while I was waiting for my undertail to ship. He let me go and just told me to get it fixed as soon as it came in.
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

Attitude usually has more to do with tickets for nonsense like plate location more than anything else - in my experience. One guy on the forum here has a plate folded and mounted so far in front of the rear tire you can barely see it. He got pulled over three times by three separate officers in a 2 mile stretch of Wads one morning, no tickets, he's also a very pleasant and respectful guy.

Quote Originally Posted by brennahm View Post
    Attitude usually has more to do with tickets for nonsense like plate location more than anything else - in my experience. One guy on the forum here has a plate folded and mounted so far in front of the rear tire you can barely see it. He got pulled over three times by three separate officers in a 2 mile stretch of Wads one morning, no tickets, he's also a very pleasant and respectful guy.
    Absolutly, for the most part. sometimes you can have a great attitude and still get screwed though. however I can say from my experience that at the time of getting screwed was when I lost my temper and developed an attitude lol

... he's also a very pleasant and respectful guy.
    Voting: NOT Zach...
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

I wish that were my case; I've tried all routes and still always get the ticket. Maybe because I am DWB "driving while brown".

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Attitude matters......only AFTER you've been pulled over. Why give him a reason to pull you over in the first place? If he's sitting behind you and he's trying to decide if he wants to actually light you or not, if he can't see your plate, he certainly will. I see people all the time with dirty, bent, unlit plates behind the tire where you can't see them, and see 'em bitch when they get tickets for it. SRSLY?
    Last edited by CYCLE_MONKEY; Fri Sep 30th, 2011 at 12:20 PM.
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    I wish that were my case; I've tried all routes and still always get the ticket. Maybe because I am DWB "driving while brown".
    I'm "brown" too, and rarely get tickets.
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

Quote Originally Posted by CYCLE_MONKEY View Post
    You are brown??? See if I couldn't tell then doubt a cop could

Now is your last name Ethnic? Mine is Montoya, so easily can tell with one look at my drivers license.

I remember once getting out of a ticket and that was only because the cop rode a Busa and understood why my exhaust was loud. Other than that, can't remember any other time (been many) and I am always nice and respectful....well till after they give me the ticket.

Local jerk Yearly Supporter

My plate is under the fairing above my rear tire but clearly visible....Except when the wife is also on the bike with me which i came to find out. Was hopping on 470 with the wife on the back when as soon as i got on the ramp a state trooper pulled me over. He said he couldn't see my plate but as soon as i got off the bike he could see it just fine so he just gave me his card and let me go...nice guy!

Quote Originally Posted by CYCLE_MONKEY View Post
    Well you just get the dumb luck of always getting angel cops. Please please please tell me that ALL cops are "just doing their jobs" so I can post some video links lol. And what is that supposed to mean attitude only matters after you get pulled over. how can the cop tell your attitude before he pulls you over??????????? I had a great attitude until he gave me a ticket. lol eh anyways I was just saying how correct you are sir

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    You are brown??? See if I couldn't tell then doubt a cop could

Now is your last name Ethnic? Mine is Montoya, so easily can tell with one look at my drivers license.

I remember once getting out of a ticket and that was only because the cop rode a Busa and understood why my exhaust was loud. Other than that, can't remember any other time (been many) and I am always nice and respectful....well till after they give me the ticket.
    Yep, just as "down wit' da brown" as you, just Italian instead of Mexican. We are the ORIGINAL Latino's (Latin from Italy, can you dig it?).

Yep, try "Frank Salvatore Schiavone" on for Ethnic.
    Last edited by CYCLE_MONKEY; Fri Sep 30th, 2011 at 12:40 PM.

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

I lost my temper and developed an attitude lol
    ok it's out.

No more threads about cops leaving bikers on the side of the road please?

(and no more turning new threads into that topic, plz)

how can the cop tell your attitude before he pulls you over???????????
    My point. Unless you flip him off first......

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian