Thread: Fay Myers

Fay Myers

Man this place is such a mixed bag.

The sales guys are friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful.

Parts/service? Not sure what to make of them. I purchased an extended service plan from this dealership. One of the freebies they offer is a set of tires. Since I had 5k miles on the Duc, and the rear was pretty worn, the front looking pretty dished out also, I called week ago Thursday to order Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa tires for the bike. Spent quite a little while on the phone with the parts guy, he said he would order them up as they are not stocked.

Thursday or Friday last, I get the call my tires are in. Yay!

With jubilation I take the wheels off and go to Fay Myers in the snow on Saturday. I leave them the wheels, specify I want the take off tires (never know when I may go to a Dyno and may wish to burn that last 1/8" of rubber off the rear). I hang out for about an hour, buy some bar end mirrors, and get the call my wheels are ready.

I get to the service department, and identify mine on the rack by the door. I go and look at them, and immediately I see that the tread pattern is different from what I ordered. I look at the sidewalls, and what do I see, Michelin Power Pures installed on my wheels.

I point out the error to the service technician, figuring that maybe I didn't tell them that the Pirellis should be there somewhere. Well, they aren't, and the parts department special ordered the Michelin tires (despite them being ordinary stock tires). They begin telling me that their most experienced parts guy, Barry, ordered these up for me. I explained that most definitely I didn't order these tires. Yes, they said, I did.

Really?

Rather than just accept that they made an error, offer a goodwill customer service coupon or something, they tried to tell me this was my fault! I can take what they installed, or I can wait a week with no wheels for the Pirellis to come in.

I took awhile to think this over, to recollect my past experience with Michelins, and decided that these will be just fine.

As it turns out, the Michelins are wonderful tires, have better rain tread than the Pirellis, and handle beautifully. I am happy with them. I am not happy with the parts/service department there at Fay Myers.

Generally I get this attitude from those guys that they are doing me a favor having me spend my money there with them. I am not angry, as it turns out they did me a huge favor putting the tires I didn't order on the bike, but boy, they sure could use a lesson in customer service. I can say with some assurance that once my service plan has lapsed, I will seek another place to spend my money thenceforth.
    Drama is a poor substitute for adventure. (c)2011

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

Re: Fay Myers

The only person on the Fay parts team that I will talk to, is Paul (Longrider here). The rest of the guys kinda seem like duds from brief interactions that I've had with them.

I think there's also a guy named "Brandon" in service, that I've talked to in the past, and to be honest, he seemed like a bit of an uppity clown.
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Just a quick note that i am checking on this issue, I have been talking with Stubbicatt and will see what I can find out Tuesday

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

Quote Originally Posted by ~Barn~ View Post
    I think there's also a guy named "Brandon" in service, that I've talked to in the past, and to be honest, he seemed like a bit of an uppity clown.
    Yeah, all the other Brandon's I know seem that way too, go figure........
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

They owed you Fettucini Alfredo. They served you Ramen Noodles. I'd be pissed too. I'm sure the Pirelli's are a LOT more $$, and they just substituted the Michelins knowing it wasn't specified in your contract. Did they at least kiss you after they screwed you?
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

was this all verbal? no reciept stating what was ordered, man kinda he says she says..

Quote Originally Posted by mdub View Post
    was this all verbal? no reciept stating what was ordered, man kinda he says she says..
    There's some truth to what you say. I suppose I should have sent a fax to be sure they got the order right.

I mean I talked to the parts department guy for at least 10 minutes on the tires I sought to buy, he read back to me across the phone what he was ordering, and what I received was something else.

Perhaps I should go there with a written contract next time and a notary to witness the event....

Really? Until I saw the tires on the wheels, I never even considered Michelin Power Pure tires. Never even looked 'em up.

Longrider is going to look into this, and I'm sure he can give you good advice as to what procedures to follow when you call them there and order parts.

yep...i have done bzness with them before...lukewarm....i get tires somewheres else..

Why don't they just give you the correct tires and call it good? Doesn't seem that hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Clovis View Post
    Why don't they just give you the correct tires and call it good? Doesn't seem that hard.
    I agree. I trust what Greg said 1000%. Whether it's an accident or intentional, they should make it right, and replace the Pure's at no cost to him when they come in.

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

It's to bad that this happened. I commend you on taking the high road and not just going out and bashing them, but if it's as you said, that's a pretty lame thing to do. It's good that you enjoy the Pure's, but not so good that you had to find out the way you did. And while we are fortunate to have longrider on the board as a liaison for Fay Myers, it's unfortunate that there are multiple people who need to utilize his kindness.

Sounds like the sales team is pretty solid, but the service has a little catching up to do.

Just want to give everybody an explanation, as much as I have. I really dont have an answer as to why the wrong tires were ordered, I spoke to the parts person and he remembers looking up the Diablos requested. How the Pures got on the invoice is unknown, maybe just a brain fart but it is strange as we stock the Pures just from a different distributor. Once the error was discovered it was not handled in the best way but for the record we DID offer to take the tires off and get the Diablos at no cost but unfortunately is does take a few days to get the tires. I have apologized to Stubbicat for what happened.

I do want to respond to the comment that the fact the tires were no charge influenced this, the fact is that it had NOTHING to do with what happened. The Preferred Maintenance will provide any tire set the customer requests that is comparable to the stock tires, if you want a tire that is significantly more expensive you only have to pay the difference. We will NEVER change a tire request due to it being on PMP

Senior Member Yearly Supporter Nooch's Avatar

I had a similar situation happen on one of my previous bikes but in the end I really just stopped caring because, same as Stubbi, I found that the "wrong" tires were actually pretty awesome! Although it does suck that it was kinda blamed on you though! Bit unacceptable in the professionalism department. Even just an apology would've been better. But good on Longrider for looking into it on the inside!

UPDATE:

Longrider went out of his way before to isolate this issue, and today did me one better.

For some reason, air or vapor of some sort keeps getting into my hydraulic clutch. This causes it to not disengage completely. This is either the second or third time it happened, and it happened to me today while on the way to Bishop's Castle. (Beautiful ride, BTW).

I limped back to Fay Myers. They took the bike right in right away, and while it took them awhile to troubleshoot the whole system, this they did. They fixed it better than it was when new!

To add to this, and while I may (joke alert on) think it is a conspiracy to keep me coming back there because I keep buying stuff from parts whenever I do (joke alert off), they gave me a 10% CSC discount on some really neat track pants I have been eyeballing there for awhile, sold me some replacement grips AND cut out the blind end for me so I wouldn't have to do the X-Acto routine to them when I got home, which nearly always ended up looking like I used pinking shears.

Good job Fay Myers. You guys treated me right.

good to hear all is well for you! i purchased my bike from them and was very happy with the deal and if i have the chance to get a new one they will have the chance to sell me one for sure! but... the parts department does make you feel like that if they dont know you then well your a noob...

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

I'm glad it worked out for you :-).
    "With every broken bone, I swear I lived."